Most wanted (small) feature

Small but important changes…

Here are the less-time-consuming-to-make-features that were requested previously in the feature request thread (What new features would you need …etc). Again, there are no guarantees that these features will ever be implemented since this vote only gathers together what some people have suggested. So it’s officially unofficial now :).

And again, this thread does not include all the suggestions (I’ve left all the hotkey wishes since they are very quick to make and have already started showing up in N), only the more minor improvements. You can find the larger feature vote in another thread (“Most wanted (big) feature”). :)

All very good ideas. I voted for Play/Record/Stop on mixer view. Even better would be transport controls on the mixer AND plugin dialogs. The floating transport bar is cool and sort of a work around but the bar often gets buried under othe stuff and you have go looking for it. Maybe an “always on top” feature for the floating transport bar would be even easier to implement?

TG

i will not be voting on this one, as i do not use midi in n-track, don’t use the folder management stuff in n-track, and see little benefit to having the playback controls on the mixer (personally). i will leave this decision to those it matters to. :O

I’m for MIDI->FX, the others are nice, but this I would use on a regular basis…

DSP

i vote this one because i think can help a lot when working with midi, more that the midifx (that can be a nice plus, but you can survive whitout them) and to solve sync problems.
Nice can see the pianoroll View aligned with a Spectrum View of waves. (the more similar to piano roll view of a wave)

def. the midi events aligned with audio - view. that would make life sooo much nicer.

lates

t-willy

The thing is, there’s probably features already in there that half of us don’t know about, let alone use yet - I I mean, v 4.2 is barely even out and already people are going “Where’s my scrub, dammit?!”

One small thing I would like is to have a “return to zero” function for the track faders - like the “return to center” fuction for pan sliders. And the ability to enter in specific values (e.g., -5.3) would be nice too. But these are really small features… :)

oooh, on that note, a return to 0 on right-clicking a node in volume, pan, etc. evolutions would be a nice touch too!!

for example… right click node could give options like:

- Set to 0
- Set to -Inf

and the node would be set to the appropriate “vertical” level, while maintining its current horizontal position.

You can always undock the “transport controls” and put them anywhere you want.

I voted for the first item, because that’s the biggest time-waster for me, with no simple workaround.

You should explain what you mean by “Display modes for tracks: normal mode, dB, RMS and spectrum”. Concerning meters, I’d sure like an “rms” mode, or ideally, the ability to see both RMS and peak at the same time, and with the ability to configure the RMS window size. Note that true RMS mode would use a bit of CPU. So an “absolute value lowpass” mode to approximate RMS might be handy as well. (BTW, the meters are labeled as “VU” meters, but they aren’t really VU meters.)

For displaying the track, one option should be “peak”, so that peaks are never “hidden”. Another useful mode would be “sample” (nearly the same as they are now, but just displaying the sample value at the location. This has a nice averaging quality.) While an RMS mode would be very cool, but you’d also have to configure the time window.

Quote (learjeff @ Dec. 02 2004,11:03)
You should explain what you mean by "Display modes for tracks: normal mode, dB, RMS and spectrum". Concerning meters, I'd sure like an "rms" mode, or ideally, the ability to see both RMS and peak at the same time, and with the ability to configure the RMS window size. Note that true RMS mode would use a bit of CPU. So an "absolute value lowpass" mode to approximate RMS might be handy as well. (BTW, the meters are labeled as "VU" meters, but they aren't really VU meters.)

For displaying the track, one option should be "peak", so that peaks are never "hidden". Another useful mode would be "sample" (nearly the same as they are now, but just displaying the sample value at the location. This has a nice averaging quality.) While an RMS mode would be very cool, but you'd also have to configure the time window.

Actually, I never gave much thought to the whole RMS display :). Now that I think of it, doesn't make much sense to display this track-wide... or maybe it would give some information of overall 'loudness' of a track, don't know. So perhaps an average rms over the whole frequency spectrum for specified time intervals? Never thought about it, but the vu-meters... are they based on rms value?
//edit: no, they'd never be able to show peaks accurately. Answering for myself :)

RMS is always an average – that’s what “mean” means in “root mean square”, or more accurately, square root of the mean of the squares. So an RMS value is always implicitly an average over a time interval (or else the whole song). So, the track display could show RMS values as a “rolling average” over some time interval. That is, each point would be the RMS value for the previous K samples. Whenever you change K, n-Track would have to “recalculate waveforms” for all tracks. Which is fine, if you ask me! A default of one second is probably reasonable.

But what I’d most like to see fixed about the track display is that it doesn’t show peaks – that is, peaks can be there but hidden. The current strategy gives a good idea of the average intensity, and does show peaks if I zoom in far enough. But when I’m looking for peaks, it’s not as helpful as it should be.

come on VOTE!!!

lots fings i’d like still me earties’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’
’’’’‘showin pks is good
’’’’‘a mixer strip like that burel plug in thingy
proper channel strip like n big N emulatin lotsa old channel strips in the dsp like liq chanel does wiv mic pres.
31 band eq like i said before’’’’‘n lotsa fings so i dont avta use plug ins. cant stand little blighters.nnnnn also some sorta noise reduction nnnn fer the newbies that i sometimes teach that go gaga over nutty stuff’’’’'mic models n stuff.

I also have no need for MIDI.

How about allowing longer labels on the channel description?

For example, if I label a channel “Rhythm Guitar”, most of the text gets cut off on the mixer (e.g. “Rhythm G”). Perhaps allow the text to wrap to the next line.

-Tim

I said folder management. As far as defaulting, I mean. The setup for the wav file naming is screwed up. I know there is an easy workaround once you figure it out, but that hinders N beginner-friendly image. imo.

fish

What’s wrong with the wave file naming scheme? It’s not “screwed up”, it’s simple and it works. If you have a better idea, please say what it is. Be sure to keep in mind that a lot of us use “record to a new track”.

I just wish that if I opened up n-Track by double-clicking on a song file, it would set the default file path (the place n-Track goes when you click an open-file toolbar button) to the location of the song file. As it is, I have to open up n-Track first and then open the song from within it. No big deal, of course. Also, n-Track shouldn’t change the default file path when SFZ opens a soundfont. But that might be a sticky wicket.

All I mean is that is there not some way to save the wavs as temporary wav files in some temporary directory, and then, when you click “save”, it gives you the option of naming each file? Perhaps make it a defaulted option? That way new users don’t have “newsong_1.wav” to “newsong_1468.wav” or something? maybe not. I just wish that new users didn’t have to figure out to save/name the file before starting a recording project. Audition is set up this way. It works pretty well. But if I’m the only one who doesn’t like it, ok. no prob. but I agree about the defaulting thing. especially w/ the plugins.

fish

OK, I see. It would be nice the first time you open n-Track, to pop up a little wizard with a clue: “To make managing your files easier, you should create a folder for this song, and save the song in that folder.” etc.

And it might be nice if wave files recorded on a track started with the track name (or song name followed by track name).

I use “alt-t-w-e” a lot. I record willy nilly, and then whenever I come to a decision about what to keep, I rename the file accordingly. Oh – it should always append “.wav” if that isn’t already there in what you type. It doesn’t help much to have a wave file with no extension.