Motor City Blues

How does this mix sound to you guys? Unfortunately I am working with wet guitar seps that I recorded with a Les Paul that I no longer have. I was going to retrack dry but got rid of the guitar before I got a chance. I could retrack with my Strat but would be totally different. Anyway, I think my main weakness is eq on the differnt instruments. I have a hard time seperating the instruments with eq. I guess I am still developing an ear for it. Though I believe my mixes are much better than when I first started.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15586214/MotorCityBlues.mp3

thanks

Bill

Sounds proper good. Have you tried to feather away at the wetness with a bit of gate or comp? TalTube it:-)

Thanks Tony
No, haven’t even heard of the technique. Actually I don’t mind the wetness. I just know it is not proper to record wet.
I got the idea for the song and plugged into the podxt and hit record with intentions of redoing it.

I love it, especially the slide work :) I wouldn’t change a thing, myself :)

It all sounds great to me. :agree:

Quote: (TomS @ Dec. 11 2011, 4:13 PM)

It all sounds great to me.
:agree:

yeah, but you don't count, 'cause your ears sound like The Residents;-)

It is true. I can’t hear without my giant monocle anyway.

Thanks guys!

We were a big help, weren’t we? :)

SITTIN’ HERE GIGGLING…WHAT THE HECK FIRE IS “WET” STRINGS ?? :laugh:

OH, AND TONY…"Sounds proper good. Have you tried to feather away at the wetness with a bit of gate or comp? TalTube it:-)

I’M SORRY, LAD…BUT WHAT THE HECK DO YOU MEAN ???

OH MY…MY FACE HURTS FROM LAFFIN’ :laugh: :laugh:

NOW YOU KIN LAFF AT ME SOME MORE…LOL :p

Quote: (rockin4themaster @ Dec. 06 2011, 9:06 PM)

How does this mix sound to you guys? Unfortunately I am working with wet guitar seps that I recorded with a Les Paul that I no longer have. I was going to retrack dry but got rid of the guitar before I got a chance. I could retrack with my Strat but would be totally different. Anyway, I think my main weakness is eq on the differnt instruments. I have a hard time seperating the instruments with eq. I guess I am still developing an ear for it. Though I believe my mixes are much better than when I first started.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15586214/MotorCityBlues.mp3

thanks

Bill

HOLEY FREAKING MOLEY, BILL !!!!
YIKES....THAT WAS SOOOO "HOT"
:D

I SORTA UNDERSTAND SOME OF WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT, BUT OH MY GOSH, BILL...THAT WAS JUST AWESOME !!!!!!!!!

YOU GUYS SURE ARE LAID BACK WITH YOUR COMMENTS HERE...IS IT A GUY THING ??
ME NOW...WHEN I HEAR SOMETHING THAT IS REALLY, REALLY GOOD AND I GET A CHANCE TO SAY SO TO THE ARTIST, I FREAKING "SAY IT
"
:D

WHEW...THAT WAS SOOOOOO GOOD...SWEEEEETTTT !!!!!
:)
:)

LINNER
:whistle:

Thanks Linner!! Much appreciated. Sorry so late with the reply. I don’t get email notifications.

I have to agree with the others here, Bill, this song is very, very good.

On a different subject, I will be leaving MCS, I think. I hate posting things, and a week go by, and only 3 people have even listened to it, and none of them bother responding. Dan and Jimmy left some months back, they said it was too much of a clique at MCS, and I believe I’m coming to agree with them.

I joined Kompoz.com, and the reaction has been completely the opposite. I post something, and within a day over a hundred people have listened to it. That doesn’t necessarily mean they liked it, but at least they gave you a CHANCE and checked your material out. I’m involved in several projects, and some of them are turning out to be STELLAR:

KEEP ME AWAY FROM YOU - Master File this is a duet I wrote, and just waiting for the vocals from the two people that I asked to sing it, and they agreed.

PRIDE - My first attempt at vocals for this song I wrote.

A song I’m auditioning my guitars for

Another song for which I did the guitars…

So if you get to feeling like you’re being blown-off in MCS because you’re not someone’s buddy, check out Kompoz.com, I’m really enjoying what I do, and people are valuing it, and saying so…

-Danny

Sorry so late Danny! But thanks for the reply!!
I don’t get notifications and I only check in occasionally here. But I belong to both and I don’t think MCS is clickish. I think it is just losing interest to alot of folks. Not near the traffic these days. Where as the other place just has ALOT more traffic.
Bill

No problem, Bill, I only check back here every week or two, myself :)

-Danny

Dude, this song makes me think of whiskey, motorcycles, and explosions. The guitar work is cool. I also dig the voice in the back echoing the cities. Cool song, amigo.

Thanks DawgyD! : )

that’s really good. good sounds on all instruments i thought. very good guitar playing and i liked the singing voice.

if you want criticism then read on, otherwise ignore and go with the above. i’d say maybe the vocal is a little too up front. its a nasty blues thing and i’d have liked the guitars / bass to be a smidge louder (relative to the vocal) to drive it a bit more. also, whoever is singing that is doing a good job, but i think they could ‘let go’ a little more, bit more ‘performance’ (i was digging those wispered vocal bits). ever heard Dave Lee Roth signing those bluesy songs on ‘your filthy little mouth’ album? i reckon a bit more of that treatment. also, for me lyrics a bit boring. no advice, my bands songs are the same in that department. finally, i’m not into straight blues so maybe i’m not the target audience, but an arrangement with a tad more variety and a hook would make a difference. maybe that just aint blues?

awesome job though. i wish i could get that clarity in my recordings. sounds really pro.

Hey monstasonix, thanks for all the crits as well! Points well taken! Thanks for the listen.