MOTU 828 & 828mkII

how well do they work with n-track?

so i am thinking about getting one of these. anyone have any experience with either? how well do they work with n-track? and what soundcards would best work with them? I am currently using a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 card… would this work?

-geek

Umm … In your topic “Recording more than 1 track at a time”, I commented on the 828mkII that I use.
It works great!
It is the soundcard.
However, you can still use your Audigy for games and whatnot, if so desired.

learjeff has/had the original 828 and can also testify to it’s usability with n-Track.

-Ken

I’ve used the 828MKII with the big N just fine. I had other issues to work through (RAID, vid card pci latency, mainly), but as an interface it worked great. Make sure you have a compatible firewire card chipset.

a compatible firewire card chipset? do explain…

and thanks for the comments crankz1! i must have missed your post in the other thread…

what is the latency like with thw 828mkii? any issues? i’m just trying to get some good detials before i drop hundreds of dollars into one…

Also… What is the difference between the mkii and something like the MAudio Delta 1010LT 24-Bit 96kHz PCI Card? It says this has 10 in and outs. and it’s cheaper.

I just need something that works well with n-track to record more than one track a time…

a compatible firewire card chipset? do explain..

There's an incompatibility between the NEC chip found in some Firewire cards and the motu firewire line of interface.

If the firewire installer warns you that you're running a Firewire card with the NEC chip, you should replace said card with a card that uses the TI (Texas Instruments) or Lucent chip. Keyspan, Sonnet and ADS are a few of the many brands using the TI or Lucent firewire chips.

Please check with the manufacturer of the firewire card before purchasing it to ensure it has the TI or Lucent chip.
Quote (geekformayor @ Jan. 03 2005,19:06)
a compatible firewire card chipset? do explain..

and thanks for the comments crankz1! i must have missed your post in the other thread..

what is the latency like with thw 828mkii? any issues? i'm just trying to get some good detials before i drop hundreds of dollars into one..

*Also*.. What is the difference between the mkii and something like the MAudio Delta 1010LT 24-Bit 96kHz PCI Card? It says this has 10 in and outs. and it's cheaper.

I just need something that works well with n-track to record more than one track a time..

As Willy pointed out, certain IEEE 1394 controllers have been found to be incompatible with the MOTU (VIA models are some that I've also heard of issues with). I have no issues at all using a Texas Instruments based controller.
I'm taking for granted that you understand FireWire and that the 828mkII is a FireWire interface. If not ... we can elaborate on that further.
n-Track's reported Latency using the MOTU's ASIO drivers and it's control panel set to 128 Samples per Buffer is ...
3ms for Live input and Recording.
5ms for Playback.
Quite acceptable IMHO. :cool:
As I stated before, I have no issues with the 828mkII. It offers me simultaneous use of 20 inputs (10 analog + 10 digital) and 22 outputs (12 analog + 10 digital).
The differences between it and a 1010LT would be the amount of I/O, the type of interface (PCI vs FireWire), the fact that the converters of the 828mkII are within the rack unit itself as apposed to being on a PCI card in the computer and the quality of the converters.
How much difference there is in the converter quality, I don't know. I do know that the 828mkII won the
2004 TEC award for digital converter technology.
It looks a lot cooler than a bunch of wires hanging out the back of a computer too.
All that being said, if the 1010LT fits your needs in terms of I/O and features, there's no reason not to save the additional $500 of the 828mkII and go with the 1010LT.

-Ken

thanks again everyone!

i think i’m closer to making a decision… and i think my decision will be to get the mkII.

another question… what is gonig to be the differences between the mkII and the normal 828. not to mention the newer MOTU Traveler… ?