Movie Theme Music

Quote:

Hmmm....obviously you guys hate me and are being mean by not being mean...hmmm...

I can't be mean about your music, but you do have a "philosophy" degree which arguably isn't worth the paper it's printed on (acording to rob) and you are quite old Tom! hehe :p

Very good! I finally listened.

I can be mean…but helpful I hope.

Musically?

Nothing to say bad. It’s very very good. If anything I’d say it sounds “hopeful”. I’m not sure if that’s the perfect direction, but it doesn’t sound “sad” to me. Melancholy, yes. Maybe I think it should be not as Major considering the subject, and the subject is about as horrible as can be. Then again, with that subject there needs to be some hope that things will be better eventually.

Sounds?

I like the piano sound. It almost sounds too “there”. It’s hard to say “lower in the mix” when it’s the only thing happening, for the most part. Maybe there needs to be more “space”, and I don’t mean reverb.

Strings: This is the only place I think it really needs improving. The string sounds/samples are too synth-like, even if they are sample of the real thing (irrelevant either way). This is an area that smoother and more spatial will go a long ways to opening the air. I’d like the hear the strings/synths surround the listener from back to front in some way.

Not too mean I hope. :)

I was going to excuse the piano playing - done.
I too thought something didn’t work with the piano, now I know what it is. It’s in tune. How about de-tuning it slightly to make it sound like an ‘old’ piano?

I’m with phoo on the strings. Something is needed there. As I was listening the other evening, I was thinking “What would they sound like if you pulled the old clone the track, pan 'em and shift one forward or backward a few milliseconds.” Not too much so as to cause phasing or chorusing… just to thicken them up a tad. Playing with the pan as the music progresses could also add some dimensional “movement” for the listener.

I dunno… might be worth a shot. FWIW, strings are a PITA. The real MIDI pro’s will even tell you it is TOUGH to get strings right. Where’s Bubba? Some of his stuff has some really great VSTi strings on it. I betcha he has a few “secrets” he might share.

D

Then too it all depends on the image he’s working with too guys - you have to have the music ‘fit’ the image in film.

Good, that’s better.
I think the main problems with the strings - and I agree 100% with the criticisms - is that they are samples.
Good ones - that’s the Garritan stuff - but ultimately mechanical, unlike what a human being would play.
So now I have to find some string players who will work for free.
:)

Although, Ange, I can take the hit on the degree - after all, I do have one other degree that’s even more useless, and Rob certainly knows what he is talking about - but…old?
When the hell did that happen?
:whistle:

Ah, you cut me to the quick!

???

Poppa, here’s the story:

http://www.amazon.com/Deaths-…9094770

Tom, I reserve all rights at the age of 24 to hold judgement that anyone over the age of 25 is old! :p

Ange x

Don’t trust anyone over 30…

Feet tall!

:laugh:

Hey!!!..I might be older than dirt but not older than water…
:)

For strings, I love taking samples that are recorded in “THIS” octave, but used them an octave lower, or two octaves if possible. Cutting the pitch an octave will add a lot of grain. That comes across as air. This is really cool with old 8 bit samples.

Think of the old string samples Peter Gabriel has used (Security album for example). Many of those are indeed 8 bit samples tuned down, on the original old Fairlight. There’s a lot of air in them.

Unfortunately, strings for higher pitched ranges can be so thin this doesn’t work too well. You end up with low pitch whiny sounds.