moving midi notes'

I have a recorded midi track and i want to go in and move things around,but when i move a note forward it start to erase the next note even if there not touching i dont understand.

Bones

Am I the only one who has had this problem?

Bones

I have never seen this problem. ??? Weird. Are you using an imported midi or one you made? If it is imported, does it do it when you make a midi file? Either way, try making a new midi file and place 2 notes then move one. see if it does it.

fish

Its one I made and it is a serious problem=(

If the note off of one note is moved over top of the next note then that note will become very short. That’s what you are describing, but I’ve never seen it happen when the note to the left isn’t long enough to reach the next note.

NOTE ON - blue starts
NOTE OFF - blue stops
white space
NOTE ON - blue starts
NOTE OFF - blue stops

becomes

NOTE ON - blue starts
NOTE ON - nothing
NOTE OFF - blue stops
white space
NOTE OFF - nothing

Right, phoo, but it’s a horrible default for the program to take.

I guess one of these days I’ll have to submit a request to Flavio to take more sane action. The problem is there are a lot of different cases to consider.

In the case of moving a note in the timeline:

- dragging a note:
— the start and end times of an unmoved later note should not change. When dragging right and bumping into the unmoved note, the end of the dragged note should be adjusted to just before the start of the later note. This continues until the dragged note starts later than the unmoved note. At this time, the unmoved note (now the earlier note) is adjusted to end just before the dragged note.

The right thing to do in all cases is nontrivial, but it’s annoying and never helpful to have a later note simply change to being terribly short, which is what currently happens.

But note that this is all beside the point of the original post, where the notes aren’t touching. I’ve never seen that in 4 years of rather frequent MIDI editing using n-Track. I’m using V3.3, though – maybe there’s a new bug.

VERY right, jeff.

I’m using V4.1 and haven’t see it either - not something new as far as I can tell.