Moving On

Hi All:

Today, we worked on the Ampro Guitar Amp…
I have updated the Photo Blog to include our efforts till now…
The cabinet looks pretty nice, to me…
It has 50 + years character built-in…

My greatest fears have surfaced…
The amp sounds pretty lame…
I believe the output transformer has failed…
The closer I look at it (the chassis) the more I believe that this transformer is not the original piece of iron…

DSCF1060

So, we are gonna look into replacing the output transformer…
As well, the tremolo circuit needs some attention…

Steady as-it-goes…

Bill…

{edit}
More photos of todays efforts

Cool.

Amp Restore Update:

We searched Hi-and-Lo for any information out there on this amp…
Nothing appears to be available on this amp…
We are searching for an output transformer for the chassis…

We may be placing an order for the transformer from Traynor in Toronto.
Then modifying the Output circuit of the Supro Amp to look more like this amp…

YGM3 GuitarMate Amp

We’ll see…

Bill…

Amp Restore Update, Again:

Today Bob Placed an order with Traynor, in Toronto, for a Guitar Mate Output Transformer to replace the Transformer in this Ampro Amp…
AND a set of EL84 Groove Tubes to replace the ones that are there now…
We have yet to make a decision if the output stage of this amp is gonna be redesigned to emulate the Traynor Guitar Mate amp or if it’s gonna stay to the original design, when it was manufactured…
We’ll see as the restore continues…
The parts order should arrive by the end of the week…

In the meantime, Bob has been working on the Gibson GA-6 guitar amp…
I fired a pair of 6L6 output tubes in the amp the day I took it over to Bob’s place, for the restore of that amp… The amp should have a pair of 6V6 tubes, in it…
Today, he fired it up and as he says, this amp RoCkS…
However, I was sure the last time I had it fired up it was making a 60 HZ, hum…
He says NO.
to it, today…
He’s gonna remove all the hardware from the cabinet and apply some time to cleaning it up… We’ll see how he manages with that part of the restore…
He also is suggesting that the Marsland 12" speaker should come out, as he has a Jensen 12" speaker to install on the baffle board…
We’ll see…
I forgot to mention to him as he placed the order for tubes, that he add a pair of 6V6’s to the tube order…

As-it-goes…

Bill…

The Danelectro/Supro Amp Restore project is winding down…

We got the amp up and running… However, We have been unable to find the exact schematic for this amp…
We found some prints that are close, but that ain’t good enough… We have been unable to get the tremolo circuit up-and-running… There is a “special” tube that we are unable to find a replacement for…
We are not sure what the tube number is… It happens to be a 9-pin Pentode/Triode miniature… Could be similar to a 6U8 tube, but that is not the tube number… Apart from that, we rebuilt the power supply, installed Diodes to replace the tube rectifier tube… Replaced the 6BQ5/EL84 output tubes with a pair of GT’s EL84 tubes, (I think they are #7’s-or-#8’s) I would liked to have seen #10 or hi-powered ones… replaced the output transformer, replaced resistors that were out of tolerance…
However, we left the original signal capacitors…
If they are working you leave them alone…
or else you disturb the flavor that the amp creates…
We replaced the 12"speaker and cleaned up the cabinet less the cabinet’s character appearance…

This amp has a nice flavor/sound to it… It don’t sound like any other amp… It has it’s own distinctive sound… It’s gonna be nice to get a mic in front of it, in a studio application…
Remembering that it’s a Department Store Catalogue Instrument Amp…
with an updated 12" speaker…
The power amp chassis had to be repositioned in the Cabinet’s floor… The 12" speaker would not allow the amp chassis to go back where it was in the original assembly…

We’ve updated
The Supro Amp Photo Blog to show the rear of the cabinet with the updated 12" speaker installed…

The next day will see the amp through to the project’s completion…

Gents…
Nice Project…

:agree:
:)
:whistle:

Bill…

The Ampro Amp Restore project is winding down…
The amp is finally off the bench…
The tremolo circuit is in need of a 7199 tube to make it work…
They are hard to come-by…
I have a mod to make a 6U8 tube behave like a 7199 tube…
However, I’ll need to check my tube collection to see if I even have one of those tubes…

Amp Restore project is complete

I’ve updated the photo blog to show the amp in operation…
Bob playing one of his Telecaster Guitars…
It’s gonna be a nice sounding setup in the studio, in front of a mic…

Bill…