Mr President

Quote: (Dubious @ Jan. 20 2009, 7:26 PM)

Man WILL let you down.

And women always seem to get me up...
Quote: (Bubbagump @ Jan. 21 2009, 10:35 AM)

Quote: (Dubious @ Jan. 20 2009, 7:26 PM)

Man WILL let you down.

And women always seem to get me up...

That's good to hear Bubba. That's the way it's supposed to work. :p

D

The American Dream is alive and well - lots of immigrants live in my area - folks who came with very little now own houses, kids going to decent schools, all it takes is hard work. They look around and see massive opportunity - and this is Flint, the worst job market in the US.

Don’t tell me the American Dream is a farce - we are so blinded by our fortune that sometimes we don’t realize how good we have it - so much of the world is in such desperate poverty…

Arg arg arg rowmph urf and so on… :agree:

Sobering.

Quote:

Don't tell me the American Dream is a farce - we are so blinded by our fortune that sometimes we don't realize how good we have it - so much of the world is in such desperate poverty...

Amen

The ‘american dream’ is not to achieve middle class status (eco-slave status).
It is rags (or middle class or below) to riches (read billionaire or above). If it (the dream) was to achieve M/C status then being a teacher (no offence) or policeman (really no offence)or government employee etc. would be the fullfillment of that dream. Ergo most people should be happy and content. (economically speaking of
course) If they are content with working 1/3 or more of their adult lives to
have 1/3 or more of what they work for taken, pay for their house, but forever
pay taxes on it. Putting up with bureaucratic obsticles on every level of
their daily lives, while the same bureauracracy pisses away their future on
the very ones they hope to become someday (namely the rich). Well then I
guess they are living the dream. I know I am.

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Jan. 21 2009, 11:27 PM)

The 'american dream' is not to achieve middle class status (eco-slave status).
It is rags (or middle class or below) to riches (read billionaire or above). If it (the dream) was to achieve M/C status then being a teacher (no offence) or policeman (really no offence)or government employee etc. would be the fullfillment of that dream. Ergo most people should be happy and content. (economically speaking of
course) If they are content with working 1/3 or more of their adult lives to
have 1/3 or more of what they work for taken, pay for their house, but forever
pay taxes on it. Putting up with bureaucratic obsticles on every level of
their daily lives, while the same bureauracracy pisses away their future on
the very ones they hope to become someday (namely the rich). Well then I
guess they are living the dream. I know I am.

Amen.

And as far as world hunger, millions of Americans (and other nations) give daily to help feed those starving, only to see their money and donations help supply some drug/war lord with more weapons and pain that they can induce on the starving masses. Plus we have the starving right here in the USA, the American dream . . . Right.

…didn’t want to open a can of worms here
:;):

The perception of America on the whole though, is one of opportunity.

Now 20 years ago when I was in school it was different. The adults used to moan in despair saying 'we’re only ten years behind America…and look what’s happening there…shootings…stabbings in the street.'

That’s exactly what IS happening here…but the message that comes across from America is positive.

‘you CAN do it…you CAN do it’…a stark contrast to the UK at the moment.

Even if it is just propaganda, that sentiment can only be a good thing for you guys.

I know there’s crime everywhere, but propaganda or not, America looks mighty cool to me.

:agree:

(aside from that America seems to like my music better than the UK
:laugh:
)

Too late Craig, it’s opened! :laugh:

Come on over cross the big pond, not a lot of call for plastering any more, but you can get into the drywall market, go and put bids in on a slumping/slumped/gone housing market, only to sit at home and find that the illegal immigrants got the few jobs available because they cut your price by better than half.
But it’s ok, you’ll be living the American dream! :laugh:

Sorry to be so cynical about this but it gets my feathers ruffled a bit.

OK, I’ll shut up about this. :cool:

Quote: (Zay @ Jan. 22 2009, 4:32 AM)

Too late Craig, it's opened! :laugh:

Come on over cross the big pond, not a lot of call for plastering any more, but you can get into the drywall market, go and put bids in on a slumping/slumped/gone housing market, only to sit at home and find that the illegal immigrants got the few jobs available because they cut your price by better than half.
But it's ok, you'll be living the American dream! :laugh:

Sorry to be so cynical about this but it gets my feathers ruffled a bit.

OK, I'll shut up about this. :cool:

...Sounds like here at the moment... :)

My last post was a somewhat cynical view. :laugh:
Look if that idiot from American Idol - remember that oriental
guy who really stunk - and then came out with (a Christmas Album?)
can achieve fame and fortune, then I guess the dream is still on. :love:

Quote:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

When did the American Dream become a "get rich quick scheme"? We don't want to have to kill it and drag it home, we want it delivered to our door at our earliest convenience. I shouldn't imply that everyone is looking to win the lottery and live happily ever after, but that is how it seems at times. I'm not saying becoming rich and/or famous is a bad thing, but that we shouldn't expect it to be easy. It's the right to pursue the dream that this country offers, and hopefully, will continue to offer.
Quote: (Zay @ Jan. 21 2009, 5:08 AM)

The American Dream . . . just a farce being spread to foreign countries, same propaganda any country spreads about itself to others. Once you move here and see the real USA, the people ain't no different.

:D Depends on what state you live in, Colorado for instance isn't anywhere close to being as polite as Texas. ;)
People are people.
Same hearts, soals, minds, some bad some good.
I personally want to Live like a King where ever I'am at!
:D

Colorado welcome fer Texans.

Ya’ll come!

Danggitall!! THIS is when I wish I still had “Diogenes” for a forum name. I guess I could revive him… Diogenes was the “father of cynicism”… anyway…

Middle-class?

Let’s give it another decade or three… there won’t BE a middle class. You’ll have the RICH (not you Zay… put yer hand down, you look goofy) and the dirt poor. (Don’t make me come over there Zay…) :laugh:

UNLESS… UNLESS… we have a serious and I do mean SERIOUS change in economic policy in this country. A society/economy can’t survive if it doesn’t produce. We have managed to ship the “producing” jobs elsewhere. The middle (unlike MY middle) is getting skinnier by the year. Gummint Economists might not tell you that… but geez… look around.

DCD - Dubious “Channeling” Diogenes

A decade or 3? Won’t take that long Dub!

We out-source/in-source all the jobs, nuttin left but Medical, Prison guards, and McDonalds!
That about covers it, health crime and food!

Will a change happen? I’m hoping for the best, but I’ll believe it when I see it. :cool:

Quote:

A decade or 3? Won't take that long Dub!

Obama's "Stimulus" package will get passed and create a bunch of jobs "on credit" in infrastructure. It's slapping a Band-Aid on a ten inch, gaping gash though. We're so far in the D#$N HOLE... I don't see how we'll ever get out. We are running up debts our great, great, great, great, great^47 grandchildren won't be able to pay off.

Everybody touts Clinton (another Democrat) as the great economy President. You know how he "balanced" the budget and even showed a surplus? Mostly by cutting "deals" with China. BLOOD RED, COMMUNIST, CHINA for Pete's sake! We're PAYING for it NOW brother... The Great President Clinton my blinkin' a$$... oughta be tried, found guilty and forced to live with Hillary the rest of his life!

D - (Taken completely over by Diogenes FORGET "channeling"...)

PS Sorry... there was this soap box sitting there and... :laugh:

PS Of course, he personally didn't "cut deals" with China. He turned a blind and it happened on his watch so I hold him responsible.

Dub is off n running on the “Soap Box Derby” :laugh: Go get 'em Dub!
I feel your pain and know where ya coming from on those statements!

Who the heck member rated me a 5? :disagree:

Speaking of the President…

I have had my fill of the inauguration and the Obama’s “movin’ in”. This tripe has completely GONE TOO FAR.

CNN 23 hours, 59 1/2 minutes - Today, Michelle Obama’s SHOES, also, we’ll watch Barack as he sorts his sock drawer and stores his jockey shorts… Notice how he folds them… AMAZING! roll-eyes

CNN 30 seconds - A meteorite the size of the Pacific Basin is heading straight for earth… now back to the Obama’s moving day…

Their IN! Shut the heck up and get on with it!!!

Will Michelle Obama be a fashion trend setter? WHO GIVES A FLYING FLIP?!?!?!?

What is President Obama gonna DO to FIX THIS MESS? THAT’S WHAT I WANNA KNOW!!! NOT the brand of gel he uses to treat toe-nail fungus…

Capitol “D” reporting… :disagree:

Even the cheesy Entertainment tonight type shows are “Obama” crazy at the moment.

Well he did freeze White House wages, if only he’d freeze companies that recieved Bail Out money not handing out Bonus checks!