MS .Net Framework 3.0 is out

Does this mean another n-Track upgrade?

I just came across a link that explains the new MS .Net 3.0. Maybe this is why Flavio has been so quiet the last little while. It could be he is fighting with this new platform for the next upgrade.

Paul

If you go to the changes page there is an offer to purchase 4.x and get the upgrade to 5.x for free. It says version 5. is to be released soon.

How can he change versions and charge for an upgrade without first repairing the known bugs in the current version?

I can’t see any reference to v5 on the download page…

Where abouts?

I’ve linked above to the ‘changes’ page

Either my bifocals are failing me, or I’m not seeing what you see on the download page. Maybe Micro$oft is hiding things from us Canucks…

I am surprised that Flavio has been so quiet for this long. Either something big is going to come, or he has taken a sabbatical.

But of course, all of this is speculation (what presidents and prime ministers like to do all the time).

Ahhaah. I was looking on the .net downloads page. Forgot to even check the n-Track changes. So the speculation wasn’t too far off.

I really wish that when a major upgrade happens, that the sng files would work with both versions (like MS Word, etc). Ver 4.x sng files don’t work with 3.x. Is that going to be the same with 5.x??

Paul

Every “upgrade” is a possible source of new problems but it is also possible that the new .NET is compatible with older programs written for .NET 2.0. In any case, what you linked to is a beta version and the “real” thing will not hit us squarely until Windows Vista comes out sometime next year. I wouldn’t worry about it at this point, once Vista is out there will be a flurry of questions as to its impact on the program and this will be only one issue of many. I would definitely avoid upgrading to the .NET framework beta unless your hobby is computers and not recording.

I am still on N-track 3.3 and it still works. I do not plan on changing until Vista is out and even then I will wait a while, I do not need to be “the first on the block” with untried versions.

The .NET compatibility issue is potentially a problem. While it might offer a chance to buffer the program from changes in the “lower” levels of the code and reduce the need to upgrade the program to deal with OS changes, it doesn’t always work that way. My Matrox video card drivers want .NET 1.0 or 1.1 regardless of whether 2.0 is installed or not. This is lame but I am not sure if it is the fault of Matrox or Microsoft. It is also one of the reasons I have not purchased V4.X of N-tracks, I am not comfortable with .NET at all.

Jim

<!–QuoteBegin>

My Matrox video card drivers want .NET 1.0 or 1.1 regardless of whether 2.0 is installed or not.

These are two separate releases of .NET…2.0 is not technically an upgrade of 1.1. The two are be installed side by side by design. I suspect 3.0 will follow the trend.

Apps that are compiled for one version need that version. The problems arise when there are beta versions installed. When upgrading to the latest .NET of a given version it’s not only a good idea to uninstall the previous version, but in most cases mandatory. To not uninstall first may leave bits and pieces of the previous version sitting around…usually in the form of crap in the registry.

At least we know why Flavio has been so quiet.

<!–QuoteBegin>

My Matrox video card drivers want .NET 1.0 or 1.1 regardless of whether 2.0 is installed or not. This is lame but I am not sure if it is the fault of Matrox or Microsoft. It is also one of the reasons I have not purchased V4.X of N-tracks, I am not comfortable with .NET at all.

I use a Matrox vid card. I get a pop, click, or stutter everytime I open any window in n-track while the audio is playing. Is this typical? I’m using 4.latest. I might go back to 3.3, I remember that as being rock solid. I don’t remember why I upgraded.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I get a pop, click, or stutter every time I open any window in n-track while the audio is playing. Is this typical?

Typical> Not really, but not that uncommon either. That is usually a strong symptom of a video driver problem.

I suggest checking Matrox website for updated video drivers.

What model Matrox are you using? A llloooonnnggg time Matrox cards would lock the PC bus long enough to cause a zipper sound when scrolling inside a window while any audio was playing. It was done to make the video specs look really good. The fix was a to create a regkey that would turn off bus locking in the video driver. Current Matrox cards don’t do that - or aren’t supposed to - but that doesn’t mean something similar isn’t happening.

Pops and clicks can be alleviated by changing buffering settings as well. I suspect the real problem is that buffering needs to be bumped up a little. If this was really a video drive issue more than likely it would have been a problem with V3 as well.

The default buffer settings did fine for me with V3 but V4 required a few tweaks. THIS is very common and I think is affecting a lot of us.