Multi-track recording with Audigy

How to adjust input levels of 6 channels

Has anyone used a Creative Audigy to record more than 2 channels?

I have an Audigy 4, which I use for 24 bit recordings. Usually I just use 2 channels, and an ASIO4ALL v2 interface which probably uses the “WDM:SB Audigy 4 Audio [D880]” driver.

However, there’s another driver I can select which is “SB Audigy 4 ASIO 24/96 [D880]”, and this gives me 6 input channels corresponding to the R and L channels of the inputs line 1, 2 and 3.
This is great, and seems to work OK, but whereas I can control the levels of the incoming signals (on line 3L/R) with the 2 channel driver, the Creative surround mixer doesn’t have any control over the input levels in the 6 channel case, so I’m stuck with having to adjust the level of the incoming signal externally.

Has anyone found a solution to this difficulty? I’ve updated to the latest drivers.
I’m using Windows XP pro. and n-Track 5.11.

Thanks,

Peter

Hi mlcprs:

I don’t see that as a negative for your setup…

Quote…

However, there’s another driver I can select which is “SB Audigy 4 ASIO 24/96 [D880]”, and this gives me 6 input channels corresponding to the R and L channels of the inputs line 1, 2 and 3.

At that Sampling and Bit Depth Rate you are not likely to reach the Dynamic Range of the Analogue Circuits of you Card or to to clip the individual input levels of the A/D Converters…
AND…
an external adjustment is a perfect way to limit the Input Energy of your Setup’s ability to control levels…

That’s just my observation and opinion, of your setup, of course…

Bill…

Hi Bill,
Thanks for your reply.

A fixed line level signal from a bass amplifier I recently recorded was high enough to clip, and it would be convenient not to have to put it through an external attenuator.

The supplied Volume Control substitute (“Creative surround mixer”) doesn’t affect the input levels, although it has controls to do so they don’t work with “SB Audigy 4 ASIO 24/96 [D880]” selected. Maybe there is a different Creative volume control somewhere.

Regards,
Peter

Hi mlcprs:

I hear you…

:)

Could be, you’re due for getting a Nice Mackie 6 channel mixer that has individual line outputs for each mic/line strips…
as “Sends” to your audio card…
Each strip would have Gain/Trim controls on each channel…

That would be a good acquisition for you…
in my opinion…

Bill…

Thanks, Bill.

Do you have a model number for that mixer, please? I looked on Mackie’s site but can’t find it.

Regards,

Peter

Hi mlcprs:

You know if you invested in a 6-8 channel mixer you’d quickly discover that if you had a couple more strips you’d be able to do…
This ????
Well…
You know…
I’ve been looking around this page, over at Sweetwater…Nice mixers here…

That Onyx 1620i Mixer is tough to compete with for the price…
Maybe, you could do a google search and find one at a better price break…
????

You could spend less money and find something you’d wish you didn’t invest in…
After, All-is-Said-and-Done …

On the other hand if you had money-to-burn you could add THIS Preamp to your order…
Maybe, a pair of them… to have the ability to do a Stereo Track…

I’m the greatest guy that knows how to spend someone else’s money…

:)
:p
:laugh:

If you ever get serious with your passion, you’ll wish you never invested in ground level audio Hardware…

This stuff is Mid-to-Upper Level Hardware…

Bill…