Multi Tracking Problem

One track records onto another one

Hello-

Here’s my problem. I sure hope someone can help me out.

I’ll record on track one then when I record on track two I get a combination of track one and two on track two. The same is true when I record onto track three. I’ll get a mix of tracks one, two and three on track three and so on…

I’m using a Behringer UB1202 mixer and an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card.

Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
JB

JB,

This is most likely a soundcard setting. Assuming you’re using a stock soundcard, pull up the Windows mixer (click on the speaker on the taskbar), select RECORDING properties, and set the recording source as whatever input you are using (eg LINE IN).

HTH

Mark

Hi Mark,

There’s no speaker icon on my taskbar.

Jim

OK, when I said “taskbar” I actually meant “System tray” down by the clock, but I guess you knew what I meant.

Anyway, “CNTRL-F4” within n-Track does the same thing. It opens the Windows Mixer.

What soundcard?

Mark

This is from the N-Track manual – D/L it here:

http://ntrack.com/n-Track_Manual.pdf

<!–QuoteBegin>

2.e - Q: I’m having feedback problems (the tracks recorded after the first all contain the preceding tracks)

A: Make sure you have selected the correct recording sources, and disabled all the other sources you are not using, in particular the “Wave Out” source. To do so: run the Windows Volume Control (Start Menu/Accessories/Multimedia (or Entertainment in Windows 98)). Chose the Options/Properties menu command, select your soundcard and click on the “Recording” radio button. In the options dialog box make also sure that all the relevant signals are not hidden: the dialog box shows a list of the sources the mixer will show, and sometimes important sources may be hidden by default. After you click on OK the mixer will show the view of all the recording controls. Now remove the checkmark below the level slider of all the sources you don’t plan to use, or don’t know what they are for. Usually you will only need “Line In” or “Mic in”. Some soundcards (such as some Gravis’s) always record the wave output on one channel (left or right) so to avoid feedback is necessary to pan all output to the other channel. The “Getting Started/Setting the recording levels” help topic contains a brief explanation of how a soundcard internal mixer works.

And here’s the “Getting Started” section of the manual referenced above:

<!–QuoteBegin>
1.4. Setting the recording levels

The first thing to learn when recording with the computer is using the soundcard’s mixer software or the standard Windows Volume Control. Most soundcards contain a simple mixer circuit, through which the soundcard is able to select, among its many inputs and outputs, the signal(s) to record from and the signal(s) to send to the output.

• Before starting a recording, connect your audio source (microphone, guitar, mixer etc.) to a soundcard input (usually line in or microphone in).
• Run the Windows Volume Control (Start Menu/Accessories/Entertainment)).
• Chose the Options/Properties menu command, select your soundcard and click on the Recording button.
• In the options dialog box make also sure that all the relevant signals are not hidden: the dialog box shows a list of the sources the mixer will show, and sometimes important sources may be hidden by default. After you click on OK the mixer will show the view of all the recording controls.
• Now make sure that the recording source to which you have connected your audio source is activated (i.e. the checkbox below the source’s level slider is checked). Turning off all unused sources reduces the overall noise level and improves the quality of the recording.
• Now adjust the selected recording source’s recording level slider, while watching the n-Track’s recording recording meter until you obtain a good signal level.
• Now you’re ready to start your recording! Note that hearing a signal coming from a soundcard input doesn’t necessarily mean that the soundcard is recording that signal: for example, with most soundcards it is possible to record the signal coming from the line input while monitoring (i.e. hearing from the soundcard’s output) the signal coming from the microphone input. You can set which signal to monitor from the playback view of the Volume Control, while the signal from which to record is selected from the recording view.

One other piece of advice: If you have a EMU/Soundblaster-based card, I strongly recommend the freeware “kX Project” drivers, since they give you total control of signal routing within your soundcard. They take some getting used to, and demand a little time reading the manual, but once you get them working, they are golden! The website is here: http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/intro.php

[EDIT]I don’t think your M-Audio card is based on the same chips as the SB Live series, but I’m leaving the kX info in here in case it helps someone else…[/EDIT]

Rock on!
PR