Multiple Tracks

Setup?

Hi all,
:) Absolute begginer and new here, All I want to do is multiple track recordings,all done “live” as it were, ie :-
Mike, Keyboard, Guitar etc say 5 tracks at most, is it possible to set the program to do this, I have a copy of Cubase but that is a lifetime of learning , as I say, a newbie here please be gentle :slight_smile:
Brian

Hi brizey112:

That is something that can be done quite easily with n-Track…
Well…
???

What you need is an audio card/setup attached to your computer that will be recognized by both your operating system and n-Track that will allow as many inputs and outputs as your system’s resources can handle simotaniously or at one time…
The most common multiples of in’s-and-out’s are 1 - 2 - 4 - 8 - 12 - 16 - 24…
There are many manufacturers and brand names that are available in the marketplace…
with a wide price range…
Some work better than others…
You need to choose audio hardware that fits your pocketbook and works for what you have in mind…
The other consideration is how much computer resources are required by the various brand names to work correctly for the computer you have…
Some audio hardware require little-if-any computer resources while other audio hardware stresses you computer to a point that your setup may not be stable and just gives up when you least expect it…

I hope that explanation doesn’t sound negative…

A good thing to consider is to find a combination that fits your budget and then question the manufacturers and suppliers how that setup works and is there any issues that you might encounter when you get the combination up-and-running…

There are as many users around this Forum with as many different ideas of what hardware combinations work best with as few issues to contend with…
The best setup to search for is one that doesn’t interfere with the Music/Creative Process when you begin recording tracks when in the Tracking Session…
OR…
When you begin Editing-and-Mixing your Creations/Projects…

Whenever a topic like this gets posted it usually starts replies that can fill several days worth of reading…

However…
who knows…
this time…

I like these topics and discussions…

Bill…

Bill, Many thanks for that very erudite essay :-), I did purchase a Yamaha Audiogram box ( this is haow I came by “Cubase”, ) this “box” has 4 channel’s input and is this the type of thing you may be refering to? if so I just need to do some work of the brain type, :frowning: . I mean, ideally I would like the program to open uip with 4 “channels” ready to be recordeed on, yup, I am of the lazy brigade, but I like to spend my time on my guitar, i’m sure we can all relate to that one eh?
Thanks
Brian

Once you’ve installed your drivers and selected them in ‘Audio Devices’ you should see your record meters enabled for the available channels. You’ll need to add new tracks for each of the channels and select which track to record to using the red LED/button on each record meter. Set your levels and off you go… :)