MULTIPLE WAV EDITING...AGAIN

Obviously, I use N-Track for tracking and mixing, and I also occassionally use Audacity for editing a wav. However, I’m looking for a good program that will allow me to edit multiple tracks at once (for instance, 6 total drum tracks to copy & paste that awesome 2nd chorus). N-Track does this to a point, but it seems you can either edit 1 track at a time, or all of them. I’m basically looking for more flexibilty with my editing. I’ve heard a few people mention WavLab…I’d like some input before I start downloading 20 different demo versions. Maybe I just haven’t gotten comfortable with N-Track’s editing yet, but I’ll tell you, I’ve been putting too much pressure on myself to get that perfect take so I won’t have to edit. While that’s not totally a bad thing, I’m doing it for the wrong reason. Any input would be great. Thanks!

Have you looked into Adobe Audition? I’ve been using Cool Edit Pro 2 for a while now, and it’s a great wav and mutli-track editor. You have a multi-track (like a standard track view) window, and a single mono or stereo wav editing window. This app rocks for what you’re talking about. If you can find a copy of Cool Edit Pro around, snipe it!
Your $300 shelled-out for Adobe Audition, however, would be well spent.

Quote (Drummerbones @ Sep. 29 2005,11:04)
allow me to edit multiple tracks at once (for instance, 6 total drum tracks to copy & paste that awesome 2nd chorus). N-Track does this to a point,

I'm new to N-track and this is not good news. I will need this feature for serious mixing.
"To be able to edit "allow me to edit multiple tracks at once (for instance, 6 total drum tracks to copy & paste that awesome 2nd chorus). N-Track does this to a point"

Any idea when this feature is going to be available?

Multitrackstudios does this it has a feature called:

Multitrack Editing
Using the Multi Track Editor, which can be shown using the Editing menu, multiple Tracks can be edited in one time. The Multi Track Editor affects all Tracks that have their Editor opened.

The Multi Track Editor’s Edit Control’s features depend on the types of the tracks that are being edited. The control can be an Audio Edit Control, a MIDI Edit Control or one that contains just a Volume Fader and Fade In/Out buttons.

The Multi Track Editor can be used to remove a verse from a song (in Insert mode).

"allow me to edit multiple tracks at once (for instance, 6 total drum tracks to copy & paste that awesome 2nd chorus). N-Track does this to a point,"

Any other options out there?

Thanks

Quote (Drummerbones @ Sep. 29 2005,13:04)
... I'm looking for a good program that will allow me to edit multiple tracks at once (for instance, 6 total drum tracks to copy & paste that awesome 2nd chorus). N-Track does this to a point, but it seems you can either edit 1 track at a time, or all of them. I'm basically looking for more flexibilty with my editing....Maybe I just haven't gotten comfortable with N-Track's editing yet...

Can't you just import those wav files you want to edit into a new session and edit those all at once? Then bring those now-edited files back into the original session instead of the originals? Isn't there a way to use the existing features to get around this kind of limitation?

I'm still awaiting my registration, so I'm not all that deep into it yet.

Drum mixing talk

Hi, here’s another situation.

8 songs, same drum set, 15 channels.

I mixed the drums to sounds just on one song, but now I want to take the settings (EQ, Pan, effects…) and use it for the rest of the songs.

How do I do that?

Thanks

Well, in Cool Edit, I’d maybe be using track EQ and Comp for certain tracks. I’d set all my levels, pans, etc (mix), then save presets in the EQ, Compression, etc. used on those tracks so I can find them with a button push.

When I’m all done, I might “Save Current Session As…”, and give the session a name- then I go back to that session, remove all the tracks, and “Save Current Session As…” again, only this time give it a different name. Now when I want to do a drum mix, I call up that created “template” (the one I removed the tracks from and re-named) and import the pertinent wav files into it. The Kick drum’s track is already named “Kick drum”, and has the appropriate fx and settings applied. Etc.

How to do this in n-Track? I don’t know yet. :)

A couple of ways:
When you have one song just right, label each track specifically (snare, bass, etc). Save the sng file as something like “the-way-I-Like it”. Then close your file you have finished and open the new “the way I like it” sng file. Replace the tracks one at a time with the other wave files.
Another approach is to add the tracks at the end of the first mix and move the wav files up and onto the end of the corresponding tracks. Save it under a new name and remove the old wave files by marking them and using the menu Remove Track or Remove Part (not sure which works best) BE CAREFUL TO NOT DELETE THE TRACK YOU ARE REMOVING.
ANOTHER WAY. You can save the settings on the on the individual effects (EQ, compressor, etc) as a uniques name. It wont balance the tracks but it will give you the settings for each track.

Very good! Just about the same procedure as I’ve been using in my previous software. I had to believe that some of these procedures, sensible as they are, must translate to other programs.

Thanks, Bax3, for the tip.

Now, for the next level: Can you save ‘automated’ track envelopes too?