Music Theory

A brief lesson.

Shut up ‘n’ Play your Guitar!
:whistle:

Nuff said! :laugh:

WHAT?!?! I can’t hear you over the ROAR of ME MARSHALL STACK!

D

My favorite music theory saying would be “Tune it or die.” Forget where I saw that on the net…

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 26 2009, 9:51 AM)

My favorite music theory saying would be "Tune it or die." Forget where I saw that on the net.....

Un-tuned instruments fall under "Chaos Theory" not music theory... and make want me to strangle people... so yeah, "TUNE IT OR DIE!"

Have you ever stopped in mid-tune and just stared at the ill tuned offender until they go "Wha-wha... what?"

"CAN"T YOU FREAKIN' HEAR THAT!?!?!?!?"

Oy...

D

PS Yesterday during warm-up at church, keyboard dude forgot to transpose on the keyboard between songs. The second song was supposed to go 1,2,3 > big "diamond" on 'B'. It was actually 1,2,3, > BIG train wreck! LOL...

“Turn it DOWN!!! It’s so loud I can’t hear anything!!”

(I was usually on the receiving end of that)

:p

Quote: (Zay @ Jan. 26 2009, 4:58 AM)

Shut up 'n' Play your Guitar!
:whistle:

Nuff said! :laugh:

Hey Zay You know on any Interstate Highway (probably any hwy) In any major city in the US, and every hr of every day there is a trucker saying being said over the CBs:
And that saying is: "Shut up stupid"! :laugh: Stupid is usually smart enough to never reply ;) But sometimes you get stupid up against stupid! And that's when most trun their CBs off.

Turn it down, what a pitty! How rude! :laugh: And to think that when it all started, my parents got me a guitar instead of the drum kit that I wanted and they still had the nerve to tell me to turn it down. ??? Of course little did they know that as soon as they got me that little red guitar that Marshall amps would be the real deal :laugh:

"…Play …SOMETHING …else …!"

My mother shouting up the stairs to a teenage me - trying for the umpteenth time to nail down that riff.

I believe we all have heard most of the “phrases” once or twice, I know I have, specially BC’s “Play …Something…Else!” and phoo’s “Turn it down!” :laugh:

Then there is always - 'That’s not REAL music’
The assumption being only Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, and Tommy Dorsey
made REAL music. (So true)

Great album set (Frank Zappa).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shut_Up_%27n_Play_Yer_Guitar

Anyone that hasn’t heard this needs to search it out.

Quote: (phoo @ Jan. 27 2009, 11:10 AM)

Great album set (Frank Zappa).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shut_Up_%27n_Play_Yer_Guitar

Anyone that hasn't heard this needs to search it out.

Great stuff! :agree:

I gotta tell my Zappa story here… I’ll keep it short - my brother Chuck played in a lot of club bands in the then Air Force town of Wichita Kansas in the 60’s. He got out, moved to Southern Cal. I told him once about the Mothers Of Invention - he said, Oh yea - their drummer was in one of my bands - never believed him. About two years later he called me up and said come over to the house, we have somewhere to go. I went - we drive to a house, go into the garage and there is Frank Zappa and Jim Black and 3 other guys. He hugs Jim, shakes hands with Frank - I get introduced as the little brother and get to listen to them practice for the afternoon. I was just amazed at how someone could get so good.
That’s it - yada yada.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 27 2009, 1:53 PM)

I gotta tell my Zappa story here... I'll keep it short - my brother Chuck played in a lot of club bands in the then Air Force town of Wichita Kansas in the 60's. He got out, moved to Southern Cal. I told him once about the Mothers Of Invention - he said, Oh yea - their drummer was in one of my bands - never believed him. About two years later he called me up and said come over to the house, we have somewhere to go. I went - we drive to a house, go into the garage and there is Frank Zappa and Jim Black and 3 other guys. He hugs Jim, shakes hands with Frank - I get introduced as the little brother and get to listen to them practice for the afternoon. I was just amazed at how someone could get so good.
That's it - yada yada.

Yada yada my butt!
Truly awesome! But Now I'm jealous.

I just loved Frank's guitar playing, one of the most underrated guitarist of my time! I think alot of people wouldn't listen to Frank or were turned off because of his explicit lyrics (roflmbo)
Shut up 'n' play your guitar has some great musicians on it.