mute original track while punching

anybody know how to do this in n? it’s not good to be hearing the bars im trying to punch over while im doing it.

-r

and by that i mean, can it be done without drawing in the volume drop in the original track?

Just drag over the section and ^X (Cut). Assuming you’re still in nondestructive edit mode (default, there’s a toolbar button at the top), this doesn’t change the wave file and you can get it back very easily if you want. Also, if you didn’t cut the part just right, it’s easy to drag the edges of the wave part to adjust.

BTW, I don’t bother with punch in, I just record to new tracks and do it as many times as necessary and then pick the best of the lot. Punch-in was necessary back in the days when the number of tracks was limited. I think it’s an anachronism now.

Quote (learjeff @ Sep. 09 2004,07:28)
BTW, I don't bother with punch in, I just record to new tracks and do it as many times as necessary and then pick the best of the lot. Punch-in was necessary back in the days when the number of tracks was limited. I think it's an anachronism now.

i don't agree about punching being an anachronism. track count constraint is not the point, the point is having one musician in a group recording anew a small segment of an otherwise pristine track. this needs the ability to mute the original bit being re-done. i'm just saying i'd prefer if that happened with only two operations:

1) selection in the time doman (eg "punch from here to here") 2) trigger recording

as opposed to the way it works now, which is three operations

1) "punch from here to here"
2)" mute original track from here to here".
3) trigger recording.

it appears N's default behavior is to record the punch to a new track anyway, which is okay.

thanks for the reminder about nondestructive edit mode.

-r

I think some cool functions would be to do semi-punch-ins with a few automatic and non-destructive things.

1) Use makers where the punch-in is to take place - both in and out markers, with the out marker being optional.
2) The ability to mark tracks that will be automatically mute at the punch-in point – any tracks that you don’t want to hear while recording.
3) Have mutes not be just on or off during recording- have them be predetermined by a set db. Sometimes it’s nice to hear the original a little when recording, but to have it mute completely after a take.
4) Record a section to a new track that starts and ends at the punch-in-out markers.
5) Pre and Post roll for the markers. As in recording actually starts a predetermined amount before the in marker and continues a predetermined amount past the out marker, but the muting sticks to the markers. This will give a little play for overlapping, and to not accidentally cut off the beginning or end of a punched in part.
6) The ability to clone plug-ins automatically to the punched in tracks from the tracks they are to be replacing – this could get sticky, but if the original tracks have effects it might be nivce to automatically have the same effect in the new tracks. (Minor need)

Much of this can be accomplished already, but as more of a perminent part of mixdown, instead of an automatic feature of punch-in.

OK, we’re just arguing terminolgy then. Of course, I do punch-ins all the time, but I just think of it as redoing a phrase now, rather than “punch in”, because I don’t have to switch from playback to record mode on a track, the way we used to in the bad old days of tape.

I don’t know why we need the first step, “punch from here to there”. Here’s what I do:

I put the input channel on “record to a new track”, if it wasn’t already there. (It usually is – all I have to do is disable record on any tracks I was recording on. So this is usually not a step.)

1) I cut out the mistake.
2) I put the cursor where I want to start listening
3) I hit 0 to start recording.

And then, repeat these steps ad nauseum:

A) space - to stop
B) ^Z - to undo, because as usual, I muffed it
C) D or Enter to delete or recycle the junk
D) 0 - to record again from where I started before
E) play (or more likely, blow) the part

Steps B and C are optional: I skip them if the part was a “maybe”. And C doesn’t happen if you hit the “don’t ask, don’t tell” button on the delete popup. :wink:

Notice I never even touch the mouse once I’m working on redoing a section. And if I like what I’m hearing, I can continue as long as I want. As soon as I blow it, back to step A.

If I want to keep all the takes and decide later, I could use n-Track’s feature to record multiple takes – but I haven’t used that in a while, I find it’s easier to do it this way.

I’m trying to use n-Track to record 4-part vocals. I record one part, then I want to hear the first part in my headphones while I record the second part to a new track.

Can’t seem to get this to work. When I click record for the second part, my new vocals do go to a new track but unfortunately the second vocal track also includes the first vocal part as well as the new part I am singing. Not good! I want each part on one track!

I thought I had this sorted out when I found the little “DO NOT RECORD” button on the first track. But - when I click the circle next to the first track (i.e. “do not record”) then I don’t get a new track for my second vocal - I get a new part on the first track! Not good either!

Can anyone help me figure out how to do what I want to do? I.e.

- 4 part vocal harmony
- record vocal part 1 on track 1
- record (just) vocal part 2 on track 2 while listening to part 1
- record (just ) vocal part 3 on track 3 while listening to parts 1 and 2
- etc…

Thanks!
Ted

does this happen every time you try to record a track other than the first track, or just when recording the vocals? This is not all at the same time, but individually, yes? are there other instruments you have recorded like guitar, bass, etc? or is it just accapella like barbershop or something? assuming this happens every time you record another track, you need to check the recording settings (ctrl+F4) and make sure it is set to line in/mic in not “record what U hear” or “stereo mix” or something like that.

fish

oh, and as far as punch in:

what I do it just record the part to a new track. I start out far enough ahead to give me some lead. end when I am done with some tail. then just trim the edges and paste into the track. you have to align it that way, but once you get used to it, it is pretty easy. That’s how I compile my tracks, as well. I record about 4 or so good takes of something. (like vocals, especially) and then I cut each track up into blocks of lines. Then take the best version of each line and compile into a new track. then do my punch ins if needed. Then save the file as “old main” or something to perserve my edits. and then bounce it to a new track (mix down that track to a new wav file) and delete the tracks (not deleting the files) to save ram. vualla!

fish

Ted, you just have a simple config problem. But to help, we need to more about your setup. And it’s beside the point of this thread, so please post a new thread if you haven’t already. Let us know what kind of soundcard you’re using (or if it’s just the built-in line input). Also let us know what external gear you’re using: mixer? How is it connected? Where are your headphones plugged in?

Jeff