mutiple output channels?

I have a question about multiple output channels.

I have an Audigy 2 and whenever I mix down it asks me
if I want to record each channel to a separate file.
I see that in the playback VU-meter properies-> Select I/O Channels, there are 4 outputs, and I have selected the first 1.

It has only started recently telling me that multiple outputs are selected and later when I mix down asking me if I wanted to record separate files for each channel. I’m sure I touched something.

My question is this, how did I get into such a state (multiple output channels selected) and how do I get back to just one channel?

I have “WDM - SB Audigy 2” selected as an input and an output in the Audio Devices tab in the Preferences window.

Thanks!
-cathy

Click the little “Hammer” icon on the Playback Vu meter. From there, you should be able to enable/disable unwanted output channels. You may be given the option to click another button to open your soundcards control panel. Poke around. You’ll find it easy enough.

TG

PS Hmm…it may the Hammer icon for the Recording Vu. I think the Recording Vu meter is where I get the dialog box to select I/O channels with my EMU card. Check 'em both!

I get that bleepin’ message every time, even though I only have one stereo output channel selected. It’s a nuisance and I wish it would get fixed. But I haven’t submitted a bug report since I’m not running V4 yet.

Okay, I did some more poking around.

If you click on Preferences->Audio devices and select MME: SB Audigy 2 Audio, you do not have multiple output channels as an option, at least with the Audigy 2. In the playback VU-meter you will have the option for stereo and mono, but no ability to select output channels.

If however, you select WDM: SB Audigy 2 Audio, you do have the support for multiple output channels. They’ll show up in the playback VU-meter->Settings->Select I/O Channels and you get those messages every single time you mix down, at least on my system.

-cathy

Yeah, Cathy. I think you shouldn’t get the popup unless both the following are true:

1) you actually have multiple outputs selected
2) you actually have more than one output assigned to (from a track or mixer channel or aux)

Jeff

Quote (learjeff @ Jan. 14 2005,17:05)
Yeah, Cathy. I think you shouldn't get the popup unless both the following are true:

1) you actually have multiple outputs selected
2) you actually have more than one output assigned to (from a track or mixer channel or aux)

Jeff

That is exactly how it works with my EMU. IF I have multiple outputs selected, they do indeed create a second Master buss in the mixer and I am prompted for "which outputs?" at mixdown. Deselecting the extra output, removes the second Master AND the "which outputs?" at mixdown. This is using the EMU ASIO driver. I can't confirm this with WDM drivers or MME as the EMU WDM and MME driver is stereo ONLY.

Would this be an n-Track "thing" or a card specific driver "thing"? Hmm.....

TG

Maybe it’s improved in V4. I’m still running V3.3. It happens for ASIO or WDM with my MOTU 828.

Quote (learjeff @ Jan. 15 2005,07:40)
Maybe it's improved in V4. I'm still running V3.3. It happens for ASIO or WDM with my MOTU 828.

Hmmm....No it worked the same for me in 3.3 with the EMU.

Very curious indeed.

TG

I’ve had this problem too: only one sound card but Ntrack thinks I have several outputs selected. This is happening in version 3.3.
After I clicked on the hammer and cleared the extra setting, the problem went away. I couldn’t find anything in the Preferrance settings that would explain it. I am using WMD sound drivers.
After you change the setting in the “hammer” selection box, did the problem continue?

Yes. I change drivers all the time, and each time I do, I have to pick my inputs & outputs. I use a MOTU 828 and also my built-in soundcard. Generally only use the soundcard when the MOTU’s not hooked up, or is busy from something else. And I switch between WDM and ASIO for various reasons.

Quote (ctrezza @ Jan. 13 2005,20:42)
Whenever I mix down it asks me
if I want to record each channel to a separate file.

Same thing with my M-Audio 1814. I just choose "No" when the question is asked.

I don't find it especially hard or time consuming to do that.

Well, it’s a nuisance that the default is Yes, and I bet Yes has been chosen less than 1% of all the times it’s appeared. And it’s a nuisance that the program asks when it can dang well know that “Yes” would be an idiotic choice, since the other outputs don’t have anything assigned to them. Frankly, this is a design flaw. Admittedly, a minor one.

It does that for me to (I have an audigy NX, the usb version). I just click through it. But I am a pretty bug tolerant person. Just get the bug spray out and Pshhhh. Wish that worked on pc’s.

fish