my band's first single

Hey everyone, I just finished my band’s first single. The drums, both guitars, and bass guitar (me) were recorded on the first take, though I have since overdubbed the bass. Vocals were added afterwords, with just 2 takes on the lead vocal. Made a “vocal compilation” by switching between the 2 takes, sometimes even single words. Really gotta zoom in to get those seamless! And that one part where the left/right is staggered, thats the one place that the singer did it differently each time, and there was something intriguing about hearing both together, so we kept it. Oh and I’m on backup vocals too.

Techniques…
High-pass filters all over the place (even on the bass guitar and kick drum at about 25hz)
Compressors on everything except drums*
27msec delay on one channel for the guitars to give them that stereo “doubled” effect during the chorus (I know, it’s cheesey)

* I lied, there is a compressor on the drums. But the attack is 100ms, the release is 5000ms, and the ratio is 50:1 (I’d use inf:1 if it were available) so it works more as an “automatic gain control” to get the verse volume the same as the chorus volume.

Microphones…
Drum overheads - Behringer B-5 (x2)
Snare drum - Shure SM57
Kick drum - Sennheiser E602
Vocals - Shure SM7B
All guitars DI’d to the board (didn’t have direct boxes on hand, but sounds fine anyway)

Ariston - When We Touched

Any suggestions? Thanks for listening!

well done thanks for sharin!!

I like it. Sounds great. Good job. It sounds very “produced” which isn’t a bad thing. The vocals need a little something though. They seem very flat. Clear though.

Hopefully I won’t get my reservations at the guitarist’s rest home canceled for saying this, but the arpeggiated guitar during the verses is a little louder than necessary. The guitar sounds fine elsewhere, but I think the verse should be more focused on the vocal. col200 says true, but I believe a little eq tweaking (push gently between 180 and 400 Hz) could fatten up the vocal nicely - and a little bit of chorusing, mixed 20/80 with the uneffected lead vocal should help emphasize the singer’s vocal qualities. I would also like the harmony vocals just a touch louder, or maybe just spread out a little more in the stereo spectrum. EQ is a great tool for giving harmony tracks a more individuated sound.

All in all, a first-rate first shot! You guys keep at it, OK? :)

'til next time;
wynot

Great voice, that’s what struck me first. Maybe the vocals are a bit too loud in the beginning? And maybe a bit more reverb on the vocals too… but that’s personal taste. Pretty good!

I didn’t like it one bit. It’s actually rather awful. I’d say better keep that job at Burger King. :laugh:

Quote (Dewey Oxberger @ Dec. 15 2005,18:25)
I didn’t like it one bit. It’s actually rather awful. I’d say better keep that job at Burger King. :laugh:

lmao “SO HOW DO U REALLY FEEL DEWEY!!”

<!–QuoteBegin>

* I lied, there is a compressor on the drums. But the attack is 100ms, the release is 5000ms, and the ratio is 50:1 (I’d use inf:1 if it were available) so it works more as an “automatic gain control” to get the verse volume the same as the chorus volume.

Well, I’m downloading it now and will have a listen, but I think you’d be better served by sending all your drums to a group and then drawing volumes on that group. Compression and gating on the kick nd snare drums for this style of music can bring them right out too. The reverb on the snare at 2.44 was a interesting touch too, really caught my attention.

Listening now - vocals need to be more up front. You get this occasionally with the home guys (myself included) when familiarity with the material makes it (psychoacoustically) easier to hear the vocals.

Rather than bring them up, drop the guitars a touch. Or, concentrate on the vocals while eqing one of the guitars with a small narrowish cut until the vocals sound clearer.

Are the guitars DI’d straight off the distortion pedals, or are they plugins? You might have a bit of luck if you stick a cabinet sim on them - try the analogue suite plugs.

I can see a lot of potential here, reminds me a lot of New Found Glory.

Willy.