My CD is now on Amazon...

For those of you who are interested in publishing your music, try Createspace.com. You have to do all the setup on the files, music and cover, but they give you complete freedom. I went through all my work, picked out the best 14 songs, tweaked them to death, and then createspace posted them on Amazon.com.

The only cost to YOU in the whole process is purchasing CDs. I bought 10 of them for @ five bucks each, total shipping was 7 bucks. Each CD was shrink wrapped, came with a bar code assigned, and the glossy paper for the booklet doesn’t smear, nor does the label on the disk, which goes all the way to the center hole of the disk. Amazon not only made the CD available, it also posted all the tracks as mp3s, available for download.

For the first time, you’ll be able to do “Vanity” publishing, without it costing you a penny except for the actual product, itself :)

Here is the link at Amazon, so you can see how it looks… Danny Milligan “Tapestry”

-Danny

Congratulations Danny - very cool.

I note that it says: “This product is manufactured on demand using CD-R recordable media.” Is the option to have the CD commercially produced available or is CDR the only way they work?

Unfortunately, CDR is the only way they work that system, a true cd is made with injection molding, which is VERY expensive. Fortunately, almost all CD players now will play CDR disks without any issues, so it’s not really an issue…

It really is not all that expensive to get “real” CDs, at least not per CD, but you’ll have a box in your closet for a few years. :) Well, maybe you won’t.

Createspace is really good for self-published books, and given that major authors are doing it this way now, I no longer call it a “vanity” press. :)

Quote: (TomS @ Oct. 12 2011, 11:51 AM)

It really is not all that expensive to get "real" CDs, at least not per CD, but you'll have a box in your closet for a few years.
:)

Ain't that true. And because the price breaks mean that 1000 cds isn't a great deal more than 500 means that I have a several boxes :-)

Nice one Danny.
We’re pricing-up Vinyl and the difference between single and LPs is negligible.

You are old school, aren’t you?

I just inherited a stack of 78s. None in good condition, but I just love the way they look, and soon several will be on the office wall.

Quote: (TomS @ Oct. 12 2011, 3:53 PM)

You are old school, aren't you?

I just inherited a stack of 78s.
None in good condition, but I just love the way they look, and soon several will be on the office wall.

Got some gold paint? A few labels, some paint and a glass frame could look the biz :agree:

Man, that is a good idea. How about it, Danny – you want a gold record? :agree:

A late friend used to sculpt fruit bowls out of vinyls. The selling value was linked to the rarity of the recording and sold with a photo of the bowl and original sleeve. Criminal.

I’ve seen bowls and such made that way – in museum shops!!!

Danny, that’s some good looking product.

I am soooooo jealous right now Danny,

but that’s ok, the Bible says if I confess this and repent I shall be saved (or something to that effect)

But seriously folks, inspired to do this myself.

The problem with me is my production standards are so high it limited my confidence in releasing anything secular I finish for commercial sale (well that and the rave reviews (not) I got from my last commercial track on Ghost records in Atlanta), and reading all the importance put on a debut of any artist just puts on more pressure.

But I’ll tell you what D, project CD is back on track!

thanx man, oh, and as usual very original stuff.

dontcare
:cool:

Quote: (Mark A @ Oct. 11 2011, 5:15 PM)

Quote: (TomS @ Oct. 12 2011, 11:51 AM)

It really is not all that expensive to get "real" CDs, at least not per CD, but you'll have a box in your closet for a few years.

Ain't that true.
And because the price breaks mean that 1000 cds isn't a great deal more than 500 means that I have a several boxes :-)

yup, I found that if you pop a cloth over them, they are the perfect height for plant stands! :whistle:

Love the artwork Danny, looks great :)
nice hat :agree:

Thanks, friends :)

No, seriously folks, this is nothing but vanity publishing (I have a book through createspace as well, called "The Gospel Of Eric [don’tcha love my shameless plug? lol!]) The difference is, instead of paying someone XXX thousands of dollars up front, and getting a thousand CD’s to sit your plants on (lol@Ange) there is ZERO cost to you, except per individual CD, and the more ya buy, the cheaper they get. I think they go down to 3$ a piece if you get 50 or more.

There is one cautionary note here, however. I don’t believe they let you get away with doing covers of other people’s material, unless you have a mechanical license for the tracks, so if you were thinking of doing your own version of Van Halen’s first album, I don’t think that one will fly, lol! This is one reason why all the tracks on my CD are originals.

Anyhoo, as I said earlier, when I received my copies, they looked every bit as professional as anything in the stores do, and I haven’t found any cd player yet that won’t play them, so I’m not too worried about the CD-R issue, either.

So far, I’ve ordered about 20 cd’s, all were identical, and I think I spent a total of $120 on them, including shipping. Beats the pee-twitty out of other self-publishing options, as far as I’m concerned!!!

:laugh: