My experience with n-track 4.0.x

A little shakey at first

I have used n-track 3.x for a long time and loved it. So when I saw we were up to version 4.0 I just upgraded right away and did not try it as a demo. This program has always been very good. I decided to leap right in with 4.0.5 and I also had some crashes and blue screen of death a couple of times. But having some experience with computers I knew it was probably a setting that wasn’t right. Some folks at this point get frustrated and blow off steam, say like on this forum. But that never helps so I just started reading some of the posts and of course the manual. I have a Gateway computer, PIII 750 MHZ, and a Soundblaster Live!
I discovered that the Soundblaster uses an internel frequency of 48000 and using, say 44100, could cause problems. So I set my sampling rate at 48000. I also found that my 2nd hard drive (ide) was not set to use dma. That’s where I store my audio files. I set it to use dma-if available. I thought that setting the program for highest priority would be best but then I read that this can cause crashes too. I set it for normal. I unchecked use system timer for both record and playback. I also reverted to version 4.0.4 I’m not sure 4.0.5 is ready yet.
After I did all this I fired up n-track and now it purrs like a swiss watch. I’m using a couple of vsti and vst effects, midi and audio tracks. It’s just what I wanted and well worth the money. I’m glad I took the time to read the forums and the manual. Well done, Flavio! Don’t get upset. Just ask for help. Read a little. You’ll be glad you did. :D

Radario

Thanks for sharing your experiences, and welcome to the forum (Your post count is ‘4’ but I’ve not seen your posts before).

It’s far easier to debug your problems when you’ve done the background reading and research, and take a consistent, logical approach.

I take it you’re running '98 on that box? If so it’s good to hear that N-track still runs well on 98.

Mark

Quote (Radario @ May 06 2005,08:49)
I also found that my 2nd hard drive (ide) was not set to use dma. That’s where I store my audio files. I set it to use dma-if available.

Windows 2000 once played with my mind and decided to revert from DMA back to PIO mode for my recording and DVD drives. I don’t know exactly when it happened, but I didn’t really notice until I started using N-track and was getting major audio dropouts. By coincidence, I had just installed a new build, so my immediate thought was N-track was screwy. I mucked with buffer settings 'til I was blue in the face, to no avail. I finally had the sense to try some previous known-good versions, and when they showed the same problem, I knew it was something else, of course. It was a relatively new 200GB drive, so I blamed the drive next, and tried reformatting, testing FAT32 vs. NTFS, etc. I never thought that Windows would just revert to PIO mode, but when I finally found that that’s what happened, I vaguely remembered playing with some BIOS settings that may have caused it. Oops! :D

Anyway, it’s like you say, Radario…just gotta take a deep breath and work at it sometimes. Sometimes it is N-track, though, but usually nothing major and/or insurmountable.

Tony

I forgot to mention that I changed my video card also. I had an NVidia Riva TNT2 which is a real resource hog, apparently. I took that out and installed a simple Trident 3D Image 975. I think that helped more than anything. I was able to set n-track for much better latency. I don’t use this computer for anything but audio so I don’t need any special video graphics. :D

I have Windows XP.