My First Clip For This Forum

Here is a clip I just got done recording last week. I have been an N-Track user for a couple of years. Tell me what you think. It’s a cover of Whitesnake’s Still of the Night.

Here is what I have so far. I have not mixed it properly and did each track in one take. It’s coming around but I need to adjust the mix (volume). Tell me what you think!

I would like some advice on the clean track. I’m not happy with it at all. I used the spilt coil setting on my guitar and I’m not liking it. I will re-record it with my neck pickup and tweak some settings.

Still of the Night w/lead
http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=21325

or

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pag…m?bandID=406888

All of my clips in my signature were recorded with N-Track!

Gib,

With your treatment of atmospherics (esp. the drums), you came out an instrumental track that is rather faithful to the original. Good job with that.

As far as the clean track, you could switch coils if you want, but on a preliminary listen it seems that that track might warrant more atmospherics like the other tracks, so that it blends in the mix more. The ‘dryness’ stands out to me, but that’s just my uneducated opinion.

Curious if you’re putting vocals on it. If you do, it’s either going to be really good or really bad, if you know what I mean. Make or break. Although, with that length song and the breaks that are buit in the arrangement for vocals, it maight be a good idea to try. Atmospherics there, too, being 80’s and all.

Nice work, keep charging!
jdet

Oh wow that brought back some memories!

I used to love that song.

You have a done a real good version!

I don’t know that the neck pickup will be the right choice… may be a bit too warm/soft… depends what your neck pickup is like I guess…

As already mentioned, maybe just a bit more reverb on the exisitn clean sound…

Great playing and sound overall though

Drums sounds a little “drum machine” like(maybe try and vary some of the velocities to mix it up a bit…

Top effort though
I had a huge smile on my face listening to this

Rich

Definitely enjoyed that.

Really great playing, wish I could play that well.

I like the tone of the softer part but sounds like your problem with it could be cured with a Fender Telecaster :D

How did you record the guitars? They sound great.

The guitar playing/sound/recording is outstanding. You definitely have some chops. I especially like the way that the chordal elements of the lead part fit into the sound of the rest of your lead.

Ditto Willy’s question on the guitars. What guitar and what was the signal chain? Or more directly, what is the secret for getting that sound?
Yeah, and pay no attention to StuHs comment about needing a Tele. He thinks that a Tele can solve every problem, even global warming. Well actually, he might be onto something… If you switch to another guitar for the clean part, the different nuances of the new instrument’s sound might change the way that you are thinking, break up mental logjams, and get you to the place you want to go.

Considering that you only have a few tracks, it’s a bit early to talk about mix, but I would like to have heard the bass guitar a little better. I’d really like to hear where you go with this recording. Keep posting as you develop it.

T

Well,
been a week. would luv to know how and what were involved.

thanks

Quote (Guest @ July 02 2006,22:20)
Gib,

With your treatment of atmospherics (esp. the drums), you came out an instrumental track that is rather faithful to the original. Good job with that.

As far as the clean track, you could switch coils if you want, but on a preliminary listen it seems that that track might warrant more atmospherics like the other tracks, so that it blends in the mix more. The 'dryness' stands out to me, but that's just my uneducated opinion.

Curious if you're putting vocals on it. If you do, it's either going to be really good or really bad, if you know what I mean. Make or break. Although, with that length song and the breaks that are buit in the arrangement for vocals, it maight be a good idea to try. Atmospherics there, too, being 80's and all.

Nice work, keep charging!
jdet

Thanks for listening. I enjoyed recording it. I'm still trying to learn the intricacies of N-Track but I'm slowly learning.

I will not be putting vocals to it. I can't sing worht a lick. I used to do backup vocals when I was playing out often but that was a while ago. I will be working/tweaking this over the next weekend.
Quote (RichLum @ July 03 2006,06:53)
Oh wow that brought back some memories!

I used to love that song.

You have a done a real good version!

I don't know that the neck pickup will be the right choice... may be a bit too warm/soft... depends what your neck pickup is like I guess...

As already mentioned, maybe just a bit more reverb on the exisitn clean sound..

Great playing and sound overall though

Drums sounds a little "drum machine" like(maybe try and vary some of the velocities to mix it up a bit...

Top effort though
I had a huge smile on my face listening to this

Rich

The neck pickup on my EBMM is modeled after the Dimarzio Air Norton. I have been playing around with it. I am going to add some reverb and use the neck pickup for the clean. I used the middle setting where it splits the coils using only the inside coil of each pickup. It sounds too scooped to my ears. Thanks for the compliments!
Quote (StuH @ July 05 2006,03:36)
Definitely enjoyed that.

Really great playing, wish I could play that well.

I like the tone of the softer part but sounds like your problem with it could be cured with a Fender Telecaster :D

Thanks! I haven't played a Telecaster in years. I need to pick one up and tinker around on one. The clip would sound quite different with one of those. :p
Quote (Willy @ July 05 2006,09:31)
How did you record the guitars? They sound great.

I recorded the guitars with my EBMM Petrucci -> Engl SE -> Genz Benz G-Flex -> Sennheiser e609 and Audix I5 -> M-Audio Mobile PRE USB -> N-Track. For the rhythm I recorded two tracks panned left and right at 100% and two tracks at 43% left and right to fill out the space. All clean and leads were recorded right down the middle. The leads had a touch of delay with my Boss DD-3. I have a Rocktron Xpression that is on its way. I may re-record the clip with a bit more "wetness" going on to give it that authentic 80's sound. i am usually more of a dryer tone guy.

Gib,
You seem pretty knowledgeable about electric guitar and the such. This is off topic but if you had the for multifx units would you choose Zoom G9.2tt or the Boss GT 8?
Stu

Quote (tspringer @ July 05 2006,12:18)
The guitar playing/sound/recording is outstanding. You definitely have some chops. I especially like the way that the chordal elements of the lead part fit into the sound of the rest of your lead.

Ditto Willy's question on the guitars. What guitar and what was the signal chain? Or more directly, what is the secret for getting that sound?
Yeah, and pay no attention to StuHs comment about needing a Tele. He thinks that a Tele can solve every problem, even global warming. Well actually, he might be onto something... If you switch to another guitar for the clean part, the different nuances of the new instrument's sound might change the way that you are thinking, break up mental logjams, and get you to the place you want to go.

Considering that you only have a few tracks, it's a bit early to talk about mix, but I would like to have heard the bass guitar a little better. I'd really like to hear where you go with this recording. Keep posting as you develop it.

T

Thanks for listening and giving me your insight to the clip. The guitar and amp are big part of the overall tone. I also spent some time playing around with the microphone placement. I ended up with the e609 just off center in the middle. It gave it just enough low end without it being too much. The Engl SE is an amazing amp with so much versatility. It can get me anywhere I want from jazz to blues to rock. The Music Man Petrucci is also a versatile guitar. The pickups were modeled after the Dimarzio Steve's Special for the bridge and the Air Norton in the neck. the bridge has a bit of scoop to it so I had to dial in some more mids from the amp. The only thing I am looking at replacing is the cab. The G-Flex 2x12 is a quite dark sounding. I am looking to brighten things up a bit. There is a store nearby that is selling a Bogner oversized 2x12 with V30's that sounds great.

I will keep playing with things and may end up throwing it through an EQ at the end. Right now, what you hear is the dry signal from the amp. The reverb is part of the amp itself. Here is a picture of what I used (I used the guitar on the right in the last picture):

Quote (Guest @ July 10 2006,20:36)
Well,
been a week. would luv to know how and what were involved.

thanks

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I have been away on a business trip and did not have time to provide my responses.

Do you have any other questions or suggestions for me? Thanks for listening!
Quote (StuH @ July 12 2006,01:49)
Gib,
You seem pretty knowledgeable about electric guitar and the such. This is off topic but if you had the for multifx units would you choose Zoom G9.2tt or the Boss GT 8?
Stu

Thanks Stu. I have been playing/hacking around with the guitar for over 20+ years. I would be much better if I was able to really put some time into it. With a wife, 4 children, a 50+ hours job and 40 hours of voulnteer work I barely have time to really learn how to record the way I would like.

I used to have a practice Zoom 9002 unit about 10 years ago. It was okay for what it did put it sounded pretty digital to my ears. Not the greatest quality effects. I don't know too much about the Zoom G9.2tt but the Boss GT-8 is a solid unit. The effects are quality to my ears when I tested it out. I have heard from numerous professionals who use the effects through their amps loop with great results. Another good standard unit is the TC Electronics G-Major. Great effects but have heard some reliability issues with the unit. I can't confirm if that is true or not so don't take my word for it. If I were you I would go to a local music store and test drive them. Your ears will be the best judge. What amp do you currently play through?

WOW!

“Slide it in” should be your next project for guitar sounds! I’ll be waiting on that one.

What drum kit did you use? Give a little insight as to how they were recorded.