My First n-track recording

Quote:

and have
butchered it thru the years with my own modifications of pickups/wiring/necks. I
guess its a Strat-o-cat-ster now. Not worth much to any one but me.

That's the best kind IMO. :)

The wah is the POD XT? I have a POD XT Live I use at church and for recording. (They won't let us have amps on stage at church... bummer.) If it's the POD, which model? I've played around with the models in my XT and haven't struck anything I really like. MOst are too shrill sounding on the top end. Maybe it's just me...

D

I think there is a beat up old bar called the Zoo in every town everywhere.

Yes, even all the wah is the Pod-Xt.
I all was done with the guitar recording by end of
May, so I will have to see if I can recall what settings I used.
I wasn’t good with
filling in the track info at that time but have since learned to document/document what
I have done for future reference.

So I am not too shrill is what you are saying?
If yes, thank you very much.
I think tone for electric guitar is the most difficult and
subjective thing about the instrument.
On this one I didn’t use a lot of the sharpest
swings of the wah, I think I just moved it a bit in the middle.
But I also used more
bassier tones to begin with on the guitar itself, more neck tones.
With Pod-Xt, I have learned to use something I rarely ever used, the guitar tone control.
I used to just park it when using actual amps, but now I have to adjust it depending on the Pod settings.
And in the end, shrill might not be a bad thing.
It takes all kinds of tones to make up
the world, and maybe shrill is just what is needed at times.

"I think there is a beat up old bar called the Zoo in every town everywhere"

OK but, were they all ran by an old grey haired spaced out 6 foot dude named “Bruce Kutie”?

LOL. nope, all the references I was making were Scorpions song titles, “The Zoo” was a track from the “Animal Magnetism” lp.
I’m impressed with the pod sound for all guitars.
Bass is perfect!

Quote: (Diogesneez @ Aug. 09 2009, 10:15 PM)

Quote:

and have
butchered it thru the years with my own modifications of pickups/wiring/necks. I
guess its a Strat-o-cat-ster now.
Not worth much to any one but me.

That's the best kind IMO. :)

The wah is the POD XT? I have a POD XT Live I use at church and for recording. (They won't let us have amps on stage at church... bummer.) If it's the POD, which model? I've played around with the models in my XT and haven't struck anything I really like. MOst are too shrill sounding on the top end. Maybe it's just me...

D

Heh... I reread that ^^ and it makes no sense. What I was asking was which WAH model in the POD if indeed you are using the POD WAH models...

Sheesh... I need to start drinking or something... :laugh:

BTW, here is my FrankenStrat;

MIM Standard, Carvin C22B and AP11's...

Left to do: Locking tuners, Graphtec stringsaver saddles...

D

my pod wah is always too hot volume-wise. I need to figure out where it’s programmed and tone it down about 4 db.

Yeah… I think that has a lot to do with it Pops. The extra gain and the shrill high end is what I don’t care for. I have an Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah that I really like. It has all the handy level and ‘Q’ controls on it. Plus you can put it in auto mode where it switches in the wah when you put your foot on the pedal and bypasses when you lift your foot. I like that… but I hate schlepping extra pedals around.

I know there just HAS to be parameters for tweaking the POD wah(s) I just haven’t dug in and found 'em yet…

D

PS On a whim, I carried my el cheapo Chinese Gretsch ProJet to play at church yesterday… Man I dig the way that thing sounds. Played through the POD Vox AC30 model with an OD on the “stomp” switch. Tons of cool tones available by just tweaking the volume knob on the guitar and switching on/off the OD. :agree:

Quote: (pingcat @ Aug. 09 2009, 10:37 PM)

"I think there is a beat up old bar called the Zoo in every town everywhere"

OK but, were they all ran by an old grey haired spaced out 6 foot dude named "Bruce Kutie"?

Hmmm..well...no, not as far as I can remember... :(

D and Poppa,
I will look at my wah setup tonight. I have the “POD-XT Live”.
It came standard with a sw package called GearBox that I installed on
my computer. It has a basic visual interface and allows changing settings there
instead of at the POD, and is a little easier that way.
I also have the plugin called POD Farm that gives you an advanced visual pop up
on my computer of the different pieces of equipment like the wah, and gives you
a view of most of the controls that you can change by mouse use, so I will see
what that tells me also.

Yea I want to believe that if it sounds like a normal bass on my regular size system it has to be ok.
And maybe for some who want to hear it on only those systems it is ok.
Here is an example, this bass I hear as big and clean as the guitar & voice in the mix.
And I hear it clearly on my small laptop, take a listen.
BASS STARTS THE SONG should auto play when the page opens
I think engineers had this prob figured out in the late 60s and 70s, when bass guitars had to be heard on small speakers in tv sets.
Who cares with todays systems?
Music lovers who are into the latest smaller players, portable devices.

Levi, that is interesting. Have you been able to do it yourself, any ideas
on what they did?
Also, have you listened thru a large speaker system, and verified there is not
too much bass then? I am not at home, and just had a small lap top, and like
you said, there is more impression of the bass than in most recordings. But
maybe it was a special mix for smaller speakers?
I don’t know how you could mix for both little speakers and big home stereo
speakers unless you stay away from deeper/lower bass tones. And you
also might need to massively compress the separate bands?

I just checked that Ping and the bass in the mix is a little over the top.
But the point is, it is audible on these speakers as opposed to not heard at all.
In the mix the bass isn’t to dominant but it’s pretty big.
In my latest mix I don’t hear my bass at all like with your mix, so I’m holding it back until I make it heard.
In previous mix’s I’ve cloned the good sounding bass track then adjusted the cloned track for hi end frequency’s and had some success with that technique.

I just tested using 3 mid to hi end bass tracks, and found as I added another the bottom got fatter but it still didn’t cut these speakers.
But something like that might be the recipe.

Hey D,
Nice looking guitar.
You did all the customization yourself correct?

I did as well, except I have no business being near an instrument when holding sharp
objects.
But I did get it to play really nicely, good action, and lots of tone control.

Here are my butcher blocks, the bass is a beater I bought already beat up and real cheep.
I plan to do work on it this winter.

Quote: (Levi @ Aug. 10 2009, 3:50 PM)

I just checked that Ping and the bass in the mix is a little over the top.
But the point is, it is audible on these speakers as opposed to not heard at all.
In the mix the bass isn't to dominant but it's pretty big.
In my latest mix I don't hear my bass at all like with your mix, so I'm holding it back until I make it heard.
In previous mix's I've cloned the good sounding bass track then adjusted the cloned track for hi end frequency's and had some success with that technique.

I just tested using 3 mid to hi end bass tracks, and found as I added another the bottom got fatter but it still didn't cut these speakers.
But something like that might be the recipe.

I've been experimenting with something along these lines, I have posted mixes that sound better on my headphones as mp3s, for the internet tracks but I have my own favorite .wav mix for the CD I hand off to friends here in Houston. I think tons of folks are listening now with headphones (cheap ones too) or cheap computer speakers with too much high end, but to me laptop speakers just don't count.

I wonder if I was doing it really right- I could get just one mix that worked for whichever pair of speakers it ran through???!?!

And the other funny thing I that I was talking to an old bandmate from the 90's and we agreed to guess that about 4000 people had seen us live on different stages and clubs over the 7 years that we were in bands together. Odd to me because I'm about to hit 4000 plays on SC in little over a year. Far more people will have heard my Mp3s on the internet than the number that actually saw us, just wished the MP3 sounded better....
Quote: (nixon1972 @ Aug. 10 2009, 10:45 PM)

wished the MP3 sounded better....

As far as thoes ear plug phones, they can't be any better than the worst laptop speakers like I have on here. Maybe it's because I have never been in a studio outside of Texas. And everyone here that I've seen uses's the smallest speakers to mix with. The better it sounds on tiny speakers the better the mix?
All I know is the very best mix's buy the very best make the bass show up on my laptop!

If learjiff where here he would say it's compression, I'm personally afraid to use compression because my stuff is hot anyway. I use a little limiter on the final master post mix, mixdown. If you don't know who learjeff is; he's a great guy with a brain full of production knowledge who used to hang out here. And strongly believed in the use of compressors.

Look at those shinny axe’s I used to shine mine up all the time making a ritual out of it.
Then I got down in Austin and started noticing everyone sandin their guitars to make them look vintage raw lol.
Grease caked on them with grit in between.
If there isn’t a finger trail on the fretboard the guy can’t be much of a player kind of syndrome. Me?
I’m squeamish
:laugh:
I keep mine comfortable.
They don’t have to exactly shine.
That’s also when I started buying TexMex straits, for kickin around on the road.
They sound good and are a lot less expensive to replace.
Those are two real nice lookin guitars!
They have a some finger trails!
:agree:

Well if you want the bass setting more prominent in the mix try an eq

high pass between 40-50hz (depending on your eq of kick drum, I try to keep one or the other at 40hz and then the other at 50hz)
pump 60-70hz (from 3 to 5 db)
notch at 100hz small q works between 2 and 3 on nTrack eq/compressor (P-bass may need wider Q)
add narrow q (2-5) of +10db at 1khz

If the bass was recorded thru amp, continue on, if direct try using an amp sim like Voxengo Boogex, do a search around for cab sims and try a Ampeg or SWR cab.

After listening to this a couple of times…I’m not sure that I would call this Crock Rock. Your guitar tone on the lead in the first minute or so really reminds my Satriani. The second lead now that has that distorted-compressed sound I think of as being from the 80s. For a first recording the quality is outstanding.

Quote: (pingcat @ Aug. 10 2009, 10:05 PM)

Hey D,
Nice looking guitar.
You did all the customization yourself correct?

I did as well, except I have no business being near an instrument when holding sharp
objects.
But I did get it to play really nicely, good action, and lots of tone control.

Here are my butcher blocks, the bass is a beater I bought already beat up and real cheep.
I plan to do work on it this winter.

Sweet axes!

Yeah, I'll completely demolish a solid body and rebuild it if I have to. They don't scare me too bad. Acoustic instruments? No way... I've many well meaning "pro's" muck up nice acoustic guitars so I KNOW I ain't touching one. There is a guy in the "big city" close to me who handles acoustic guitar work very well. I leave that up to him.

A bud of mine in high school had a Fender Mustang his dad played since the 60's. It looked like it had been dragged behind a pickup truck. His dad let me take it and disassemble it, strip it down and repaint it. It was long and slow but I made that thing look like you could stick a finger in it and stir the color. I wanna try that again someday...

D