My First Submission

Hi all,
This is my first time posting to this forum.
My band recently recorded a four-song CD using n-Track and I am looking for feedback.

The song is called “Starfish on Her Mind” and can be found at:
http://www.mypocketzoo.com/sounds.html

Thanks for listening!

Very nice!

I’m particularly impressed with the way you’ve captured the vocals. The lead is strong with lots of personality, and the background vocals are nice and lush.

The drum and bass are tight with plenty of drive. The song is also very polished with lots of interesting sounds and fun stuff going on.

As far as constructive criticism goes, on my speakers things sound a little bright on the high end, and occasionally the bottom end lacks ‘punch’. When the pizzicato strings kicked in, I thought ‘soundfont!’ Perhaps they need a little more ‘air’, or a bit more pan.

All in all though, great job!
Jon

:) - Now you need to reveal your secrets: equipment? recording environment?

Quote (JonM @ Oct. 26 2004,15:28)
Very nice!

I'm particularly impressed with the way you've captured the vocals. The lead is strong with lots of personality, and the background vocals are nice and lush.

The drum and bass are tight with plenty of drive. The song is also very polished with lots of interesting sounds and fun stuff going on.

As far as constructive criticism goes, on my speakers things sound a little bright on the high end, and occasionally the bottom end lacks 'punch'. When the pizzicato strings kicked in, I thought 'soundfont!' Perhaps they need a little more 'air', or a bit more pan.

All in all though, great job!
Jon

:) - Now you need to reveal your secrets: equipment? recording environment?

Thanks for the kind words.

I think you're right about the lack of punch in the bottom end. Any suggestions on how to cure that? On the songs that we've mixed since (the other three songs on the CD) we compressed the bass drum more and made a few other tweaks to the drums. The drums sound much better on the other songs.

As far as the strings and other orchestral sounds go...it was actually recorded with a cheapie keyboard, not done with soundfonts. I think it was a Casio, but I am not 100% sure of that.

The drums were recorded in my basement with a 57, a D112, and two Oktava MC012s. I recorded my bass on three tracks - a D112 on the amp, DI from the amp (an Ashdown Electric Blue combo), and a SansAmp, then I mixed the tracks together. Guitar was recorded through a POD emulating a Fender Twin, and then run through Izotope Vinyl for that retro sound. Next time around I will likely mic my recently acquired 59 Bassman. Vocals were recorded using a CAD Condenser mic, not sure of the model right now (I am at work).

Everything went through my Mackie 1202VLZ Pro.

Very well done.
Everything is there like a “produced” album. One little thing that stands out is the snare drum. It’s a bit too round or dry, or maybe just a little bit too loud. Maybe try putting it down 1.25 to 1.5 dB. Then compress the whole mix a little bit and it will really sound polished. Not that I’m complaining about it at all. Just adding my 2 cents.

Very fun lively song. As professional sounding as I’ve heard yet with Ntrack.

T3K

Great song. I am listening on cheezy laptop speakers…but it sounds great! Good job!

TG

Quote (Thundertron3000 @ Oct. 26 2004,19:00)
Very well done.
Everything is there like a "produced" album. One little thing that stands out is the snare drum. It's a bit too round or dry, or maybe just a little bit too loud. Maybe try putting it down 1.25 to 1.5 dB. Then compress the whole mix a little bit and it will really sound polished. Not that I'm complaining about it at all. Just adding my 2 cents.

Very fun lively song. As professional sounding as I've heard yet with Ntrack.

T3K

Thanks for the kind words. I think the songs we mixed after this one have a much better snare sound - in fact, the overall drum sound got better as we worked more at it.
I've got other samples from the same sessions if anyone is interested.