My n-track stutters

n-tack’s not showing my driver

This is my first post here; I hope you can help me.

Here’s the deal, I’ve been using n-track for several months now and have gotten into mixing multiple channels. When I’m working with EQ and effects and volume pans my computer will stutter, the time line moves in a stop and go fashion and my tracks that I’m recording at the time will be out of sync at the point after the stutter happened. I posted on the Collaboration Central forums and was pointed towards resetting my virtual memory and looking into what drivers I was using. I was told to avoid the MME drivers. Sure enough, I am set up using MME drivers.

After a long search on the net, I found an Asio driver that was for my card (SB Live 5.1 Platinum) and would operate in Windows ’98 SE. I downloaded the kxdrv3536-full.exe and ran the install program. Buy default it installed to C:\Program Files\Kx project.

My problem is that I don’t know how to get that to n-track, I read the help and thought that I should go to Preference > Paths > External Wave Editor, and Browse to the Kx File. I did that and I don’t show a new driver in the Audio Device > WAVE device box. My Advanced boxes are checked to show MME, WDM and Asio drivers. Now I’m wondering if the driver needs to be pointed to the soundcard instead, but I have no idea how to do that either.

As it stands now:
I have set my virtual memory to 16MB, Min and Max.
I and have downloaded and installed n-track 4.0.3.
The Sampling frequency is set at 48000 Hz, as required by my SB card.
The Wave device is set to MME: Wave Mapper. (I could set it to MME: SB Live Wave In/Out [D400]).
The “show” MME, MWD and Asio boxes are checked.
Multichannel are both set to 16.
“Keep audio devises open” is checked.
Buffering is set to default “High”
The “Use System Timer” boxes are now both unchecked.
The “Program Priority”, I have set it to High.
I checked out Double Dawg, for any bus issues, but it won’t run on ’98 SE.

To review my set up:
I am running Windows ’98 SE, with 512 MB RAM with about 10GB open on my 20GB hard drive. I have an AMD 1700+ processor and I have an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 video card. My Mother board is Board: ECS K7S5A 1.0, Bus Clock: 66 megahertz. My soundcard is a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Platinum.

I’m asking for your help because you seem willing to answer dumb questions from rookies like me. How do I get the new driver to show up in n-track so that I can try it? Is what I’m doing the right thing and are my setting right?

Thanks,
Preston

Im not sure about your problem. By the way, KxDrivers are currently in 3537 version, stable, and end January will come out the 3538 version. Try update them.
Have you any other proggie that use ASIO? Are they listed there?

The link below is to some text files I wrote concerning setting up nTrack with the kX drivers and 2 sound cards. The last text file deals with setting up nTrack. You should probably read all of them because there is info about setting up Hardware acceleration, required version of DirectX, required version of Internet Explorer…

http://www.usfamily.net/web/4stories/Images/KX-NTRACK-2SCS/

You should also read the kX Getting Started guide if you haven’t already:

http://kb.kxproject.lugosoft.com/guide/index.html

Doug

Seems to me that 16megs swap file is like far to little, if I was you I’d let windows manage the virtual memory, at least until you have solved your problem which in my opinion could be
that you have far too little a size swap file / virtual memory.

Also, going back to the default settings …via preferences in N-tracks, and see how things go with the default settings, it is very easy to get screwed up by changing things that you didn’t really need to change.

regards

Most DAW optimization documents recommend that you set the swap file min and max to 1.5 to 2 times your physical memory.