N-track!My Favorite Forum

Quote (StuH @ May 14 2006,17:46)
are you refering to Michigan???? LOL

HEY! :angry:

re: Carpenters.

The open mike night at my local pub recently had a Carpenters theme night. It was amazing to see how many people were singing along :wink: Me and the wife did ‘top of the world’ and ‘weve only just begun’ with another couple of muso friends. We had 4 part harmony going and everything. It was good fun and got a great reaction, but I doubt I’ll ever pull those tunes out again :wink: Maybe for certain audiences…

It was real interesting to learn the Carpenters songs. People can learn a lot from arrangements like that. And I developed a huge appreciation for the quality of Karen Carpenters’ voice.

-see what i mean-to each his own.to me,American Beauty or Workingman’s Dead sound good,those Ampeg 8 tracks.or A Love Supreme.or Bitch’s Brew…What was great then is great now.Carpenters?Something for everyone,i suppose.
once again,thnx ntrack forum,the only place i get this stuff

Carpenters! ???

<!–QuoteBegin>

Carpenters!

Yeah, but I think it’s important to recognise quality even if you don’t like it. 99% of the Carpenters stuff turns me off but I can still appreciate the way it is constructed, written, arranged, and played. Sometimes I even learn something ??? . However, I usually do that listening to the 3 or 4 songs by them that I really like… :slight_smile:

Mark
Quote (audiobru @ May 14 2006,21:59)
-see what i mean-to each his own.to me,American Beauty or Workingman's Dead sound good,those Ampeg 8 tracks.or A Love Supreme.or Bitch's Brew...What was great then is great now.Carpenters?Something for everyone,i suppose.
once again,thnx ntrack forum,the only place i get this stuff

Carpenters! ???

mmm....ampex 8 track...mmm...... :)

Hey Mark
"quality" is a very subjective call-i don’t see it.you say you like some of these songs,maybe that’s what you see as quality.i agree there’s something to be learned everywhere ??? .i guess you could learn more about pop fluff or anorexic bubble gum or whatever it is…
i wonder,did you listen and like this music "in the day"ie when it was made?
Do you wish to make music like this?
If you want “quality”,ditch the top 40.There’s lots of great and important music being made,but not on the radio…(personally,i’m learning this week from MilesDavis “Kind of Blue”,(http://www.seedler.org/download.x?id=416800)one of the best examples of group improvisation ever recorded,and the re-issued ambient/electonic/sampling classic "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts"by Brian Eno & David Byrne)(http://www.mininova.org/get/243582)
But something for everyone is all we want and need! :)

wait a minute,are the carpenters Canadian????? :D

www.myspace.com/audiobru

Quote (audiobru @ May 15 2006,10:09)
wait a minute,are the carpenters Canadian????? :D

Hold on there - you can blame us for Celine Dion; can't argue about that one: she's Canadian and we're sorry.

But The Carpenters come from New Haven, Connecticut - you can't hang that one on us!

(Actually, I've always loved the sound of Karen's voice - smooth as soft butter. I'd listen to her over Celine Dion any day.)

Mea culpa,Bill-this country is capable of anything(insert horrible music choice here)
interesting,another vote for Karen-
it seems to me the spectrum between Dion and Carpenter is fairly limited-
i don’t know… Dianne Shuur(SP?)Julie London,Flora Purim,m.i.a.?Devendra Behrnhard?Ima Sumak?Minnie Ripperton?
Angélique Kidjo!
turn off that(commercial) radio

:)

<!–QuoteBegin>

“quality” is a very subjective call-i don’t see it.you say you like some of these songs,maybe that’s what you see as quality.i agree there’s something to be learned everywhere .i guess you could learn more about pop fluff or anorexic bubble gum or whatever it is…
i wonder,did you listen and like this music "in the day"ie when it was made?
Do you wish to make music like this?

Nah, you miss my point. I can appreciate talent and quality without having to like something.

Anyone who can “hear” those orchestral arrangements and rich vocal harmonies and then put them together on a 4 track or 8 track or whatever is pretty talented. Nowdays it’s much easier - just slap on a Vsti with a MIDI file and tweak until it sounds right.

Like them or not, the Carpenters songs are well written and in their own write are worthy of some examination of how to do things.

Classical composers had an even harder job… writing a piece of music of that complexity without access to a full orchestra is admirable. Something that makes me think - even if I don’t like the music.

Well said,Mark
i do agree there’s something to learn everywhere…
if your looking to craft a catchy vanilla pop song that sounds like the carpenters you would have a model…
it is what it is…
i can’t put it in the same bin with whatever classical artists you’re thinking of…
But another stong vote for the carpenters!wow
i guess i’n just not looking in that direction,as far as harmony,voicing,etc i have been recently amazed by the singles of Curtis Mayfeild with the Impressions,like "keep On Pushin"
That’s good stuff,Maynard
But different stokes-
i just think this kind of pop is LCD(lowest common denominator)
but i see what you are saying

The Impressions were incredible. “The Young Mod’s Forgotton Story”, “People Get Ready” - on and on…

yes,TomS-i
don’t know what studio or producer or engineer,but they are great recordings,too…mmmm tubes(sorry fellas,valves)