n-Track 4.0.5, P-4 and XP

Upgrading Studio DAW…

Hi All:
Well, I’m working on this upgrade, trying to make a clean install and learning XP at the same time… It’s a slow process for me, but I’m working away at the “Rock-Pile”…

Even, after I arrive at a stable install, I have to install the Lexicon Core=32 audio hardware to the DAW… It has drivers that are made for Win '98 or 2000… nothing later… So, as I see it, it’s still a long up-hill battle…

The original setup had a S/B Live audio card installed in the DAW, as well… So, I’m useing the S/B Live card as the testing card, till I get everything config’ed…

In the process of installing all the plugs… I find I’m unable to get the Max-X plug to work in this setup… Does anyone have any advise as to how I can get this plug to recognize/ work in this setup? The install apps. I have, include NT or 9.xx. I haven’t tried the 9.xx lancher yet… Has anyone had an issue getting this plug to work in XP? What could I be doing wrong?

I installed build 1846… But I uninstalled it… It began giving a “Close” screen… n-Track has encountered a problem and has to close… I un-installed build 1846 and installed build 1845… So-Far-So-Good… My fingers and toes are all crossed…

Bill…

Bill,

Have you done all the suggested XP tweaks for audio already?

…Ever get a chance to try out your Kel HM-1 or was it a pair that you got?

EDIT

just visited your site, I see it was a pair.

Doug

Quote (woxnerw @ June 15 2005,18:10)
In the process of installing all the plugs… I find I’m unable to get the Max-X plug to work in this setup… Does anyone have any advise as to how I can get this plug to recognize/ work in this setup? The install apps. I have, include NT or 9.xx. I haven’t tried the 9.xx lancher yet… Has anyone had an issue getting this plug to work in XP? What could I be doing wrong?

If n-Track isn’t seeing the plug, you may need to add the path to wherever it’s installed. With build 1845, you set the paths by going to File/Settings/Preferences/Paths and clicking the button “Set VST Folder…”, then look near the bottom of the “Effects settings” window that opens up and add the path to where the plugin is installed.
Quote (woxnerw @ June 15 2005,18:10)
My fingers and toes are all crossed…

Ohhhh, well, there’s your problem–you probably pressed a wrong key or something!

:p

Tony

<!–QuoteBegin>

Bill, iirc Maxx is a directx plugin and the installer needs to register the plug in the windows registry. I remeber there being a path problem - differences between windows 98 and 2000/XP - in the config file. A quick change to the file sorted it.

I found Bill Wall’s website but no mention of it, and too many google hits for Maxx to follow up right now. I can look later or email me the install file and I’ll have a look (I’ll PM you my email address).

… Didn’t Phoo or someone put a fixed version on their website????????

Mark

Yeah…I’ve got a fixed batch file that will register MaxX it on any version of Windows. The one that come with it has some hard coded paths that don’t work on WinXp or Win2K.

Let me go look. I think there’s (was) a link to it on http://downloads.phootoons.com . I’ll add one if it’s not there.

EDIT: It’s not quite there for MaxX. The batch file is for Freeverb. I’m make one for MaxX and stick it up there. MaxX also requires CWDXPX1.DLL to be in the system path. I’ve got that up there, too. That needs to be in the path before registering.

ALL DONE: http://downloads.phootoons.com has been updated. The stuff you need is at the top of the page.

- Copy CWDXPX1.DLL to system32
- Copy maxx.dll and install_maxx.bat to whereever you want it to be.
- Double-click install_maxx.bat to register maxx.dll
- Delete install_maxx.bat from that directory if you want.

Let me know if this doesn’t work. I didn’t try it out since I’ve already go it installed.

Thanks Phoo

Thanks you Guys… You are all so clever… I was gonna say Smart but that would be “Bluenose”, of me, to put it that way. :p

I saw that " CWDXPX1.DLL to system32" prompt or whatever it is But It don’t mean anything to me. It was on something I was working on, earlier in this “install/build” of this DAW… I just may be doing something that is beyond my computer skills…

I have DX v9.0 and or,v 9.0c that I’d like to install, as well… But as I open the install.exe, I get a screen that asks me to type in the “Path” that I want it to take… I don’t know what to type in there, to satisify the operating system… Any ideas, there, for me…??

Anyway, you guys are so “Smart”…

Bill…

<!–QuoteBegin>

I saw that " CWDXPX1.DLL to system32" prompt or whatever it is But It don’t mean anything to me. It was on something I was working on, earlier in this “install/build” of this DAW… I just may be doing something that is beyond my computer skills…

I have DX v9.0 and or,v 9.0c that I’d like to install, as well… But as I open the install.exe, I get a screen that asks me to type in the “Path” that I want it to take… I don’t know what to type in there, to satisify the operating system… Any ideas, there, for me…??

Bill, check your PMs. I made a special little installer just for you!

Mark

Hi Doug W:
Thanks for your reply on this thread… How have you been keeping… ? I hope things are well for you, and all…

I haven’t done any tweaks on this set-up as yet… I have a XP tweak folder running but I haven’t paid much attention to it yet… I had quite a session with it…trying to get this box to tell me I was an administrator… and it continued to ask me for a password, and all… Then, I found out how to connect the DAW to my internal/home network… I’m quite mentally bruised up… On one part of the network, I’m still dealing with '98SE…

With all of the '98SE work-arounds I have discovered, over time, I’m almost asking myself … why should I be trying to fix this set-up if it’s still working?

I’m almost to the point that I’m gonna tie some cod-twine to this set-up and dunk it in the Harbour to see if I can wash these issues out of the Boxes… :O :p

I have Net Framework 1.1 installed… but I don’t know if I’ll be able to discover how to get beyond DX Run-time v9.0 or 9.0c or whatever it’s called… I have v8.1a installed, now… Mabey, that’s good enough…

If you guys have any advise-and-justification for how to progress into this thing just do me one big favour and push me along… O.K.?? The guys who know me, recoginize me as one who has a distaste for changes… :p I like Lobester, Crab, and Scollops, and Shrimp… though… :laugh:

Bill…

[EDIT]
It got close… But I haven’t used them yet… I have some mandolin tracks to do… And I have some harp tracks on the docket… But these harp players don’t like to play their harps into any old mic… lol… Some of these guys are worse than me… :p I’d like to try them out on some nylon strung guitar tracks… We’ll see…

Hi phoo:
I’ve browsed your page and I see that what’s there are plugs that I’d like to install on the XP DAW… I have used them on the '98SE setup and if I don’t install them on this XP setup I’ll not be able to run the tracks that I have made… the way they are archived…

I’ll keep plugging away at this Build… I’ll have to expand my XP knowledge base wheather I want to-know-it-or-not… I hope I survive all of this…

Bill…

Hi Scantee:
If it wasn’t for this Board… where would we be? I try to stay current on what going on with all of you and where your creativity is takeing you…

This DX Run-time utility… At the point of pressing the install button… I get a screen that asks me to type in the “Path” to where I want to install the program… If I type in windows system 32 Will that be the correct place to install DX Runtime v9.0c?

On this present “Build Attempt” I don’t have SP 1 or SP 2 installed… Now, this box is not gonna be connected to “Cyber”… So with that in mind… Should I install any service packs?

Bill…

<!–QuoteBegin>

This DX Run-time utility… At the point of pressing the install button… I get a screen that asks me to type in the “Path” to where I want to install the program… If I type in windows system 32 Will that be the correct place to install DX Runtime v9.0c?

What are you trying to install? Is this a DX utility that trying install DX or the official upgrade to DX9.0c? If it’s upgrade it will automatically put it where it’s suppose to go. Since DX is a Windows System component there is no “install location” for it, though there is a prompt with an install location for the DirectX Software Developers Kit (DXSDK). The DX runtime in the OS already. An upgrade simply updates the files already there. Where did you get the install?

As for DX plug-ins, it doesn’t matter where they are installed from, though for convenience it’s good to have most in a simple to remember place. Registering them is what allows them to be found by all apps no matter where they are. It’s also why they can’t be moved from that install path after registering. So, as long as you have those plug-ins registered you old songs should work.

Bill,

With my XP install CD, service pack 2 automatically installed and never gave me any troubles. I have seen lots of other complaints about it on the Web. I think the approved method for deciding if you need service pack 2 is to flip a coin.

Good Luck,
Doug

Hey Bill,

What phoo says…and if you happen to be using the redistributable installer (file name “directx_9c_redist.exe” for mine, about 35 MB or so) and are seeing the “Please type the location where you want to place the extracted files” message, it’s just asking for a temporary place to “unzip” the real installation files. In this case, you’d just enter the name of a temporary folder (for example, “C:\dxtemp” or something) then press OK. After the files are unzipped, go to that directory and double-click the “dxsetup.exe” file to start the actual installation.

Hang in there, Bill! :D

Tony

Hi Bill,

A joke that I saw said: "If XP Pro is running too fast, just install SP2!"

Since I installed SP2 my boot-up time has at least doubled. The work-around: Never shut your computer off!

Don :D

Thanks for the replies, guys… Phoo… The Direct X is the “directx_9c_redist.exe” I downloaded it just after it came out… It’s in the order of 35 meg… I have it installed on the P-111 I have here… The XP version I have has a SP 1 and SP 2 disk that came with the installation… and just up to the date that they were manufactuered… So upgrades need to be aplied by going on-line after that date…

I now have Direct X Runtime 9.0c v 4.09.0000.0904 installed on this Box… I’m looking at the Diagnostic Tool Screen as I type this note…

Thank you Scantee and phoo…

Scantee: I installed it according to your notes…

Forgive me, phoo… and my poor terminology, of the Operating system files/setup… I can only speak “Bluenose” here… It might get better… but I have my doubts… :p along with my spelling… :p

I see you Donnie Gaynor… How have you been keeping? Thank you for your words of advise… and wisdom… My head is acheing… If I was a drinking man, I’d go get some water for the pain…

The real conflict I had, sofar, was, Why did build 1846 give me a “n-Track encountered a problem and needs to close”, Screen? That was a shocker… and will it come up again? on, installs of, future builds? ???

One of the hurtles I am faceing is, When Lexicon Core-32 install time comes… These drivers and plug-ins are “Flakey”, at best… Will XP allow them to reside in the registry?

I think I’ll work on installing MaxX later… It’s too cold and wet for Black Flies… so I think I’ll stay in, also…

Bill…

[EDIT]
Hi Doug W:
That’s why I have this reservation about installing these Service Packs, with the build, this time around… ??? This is my third crack at installing XP on this machine… Whoo-is-Me… What’s a guy to do?

Just an up-date… I installed MaxX with the new installer… It installed without an issue, of any kind. I believe I downloaded it from your link, Mark… I got the DOS screen… it asked to press any key to finnish the install… Worked like a charm…

I am gonna go over to your page, phoo. I am gonna download your plugs/installers, that you have posted there. I know I have used them on tracks that I have on drives around here…

With all your hard work, I feel so productive, tonight… :O :p Hey… what goes with orange juice? I think I got some in the fridge… Orange juice… that is… :laugh:

Bill…

Hi phoo:
I went to your link and downloaded the plugs you have there… I got them installed except the freeverbBX plug. I got the DOS screen to “Just Flash” but no prompt, saying that the install had completed… I went to the windows 32 folder and saw that the “CWDXPX1.dll” file is present… As, it is… Then I placed the freeverbBX.dll file in the vst folder… But that didn’t work either… However, it appeared there, but no activation of the plug… Perhaps, I didn’t carry out the install process the way you have planned it should be done… Most likely, that’s what happened… Is there something you might suggest for me to try to carry out to get this plug to install?

Bill…

There’s three different versions of Freeverb there - The original vst Freeverb Version 1, vst Freeverb 2, and the DirectX version of Freeverb 2. You only need one of them. I suggest grabbing vst Freeverb 2. Put that in your vst folder and forget about the rest. Perhaps you were trying to register one of the vst dlls as the dx version.