N-track 4 is a mess!

I have never had any problems with N-track before, but 4 is a mess! I tried installing 4.1.5 and things got worse. All my wave files now appear at the top of the track instead of centered. When I save a project as .sng is only saves about 30 seconds of each track, even thought when I check the .wav files in the save folder they are full length. I have icons at the bottom left of the time line that block the track info, and can’t figure out how to get rid of them. When I load a project from .sng file, half way through playback it gets a “error reading file”. All my files on stored on a local disk, so that is not the problem. I tried going back to 3.3, but it says the file formats are too old when I try to open a project. I ended up reinstalling 4.0.4, but still have the same problems listed above (except for the “error reading file”, which going back to 4.0.4 seems to have solved). I tried going back to default settings (which I will never do again!). Now, on top of all the other problems, when I try to choose MME drivers, it won’t allow me to select multi inputs, and doesn’t even give me a icon to choose I/O. I have to say, I’m a bit let down with all these problems. I would expect one or two, but this is too much!
Anyone have any ideas?

Windows 2000
P4 2.4 w/hyperthread
Delta1010
ati 9800 video card
1 gig pc3200 ram

Have you tried resetting all the Preferences?

Quote (Mark A @ Feb. 13 2006,06:20)
Have you tried resetting all the Preferences?

Yup, lead to disaster. I'll NEVER do that again.

You did install the correct version of the .NET runtime, right?

Quote (Bubbagump @ Feb. 13 2006,14:51)
You did install the correct version of the .NET runtime, right?

Sure did.

Resetting your preferences should cause disaster to go away. If resetting it CAUSED disaster you’ve got some other kind of problem. I suggest uninstalling, then manually cleaning out all n-Tracks registry stuff, and clearing out the n-tracks installed files, THEN do a reinstall. The config file in not where it used to be by the way.

I am having loads of problems as well. The program is only using 15% of the CPU, but starts having playback problems and crashes regularly. If I am using NO effects at all, it will stop saying the DSP is using too many effects. I also can’t start playback anywhere but the beginning of the song. It’s the same in the new Beta version. I am about ready to go buy Sonor or something else.

I wish I could say that I understand what going wrong, but my installation of N-Track 4 has been perfectly stable. Now I am not using the most current version, also my computer setup is pretty different from yours. Lastly, I pretty regularly reinstall Windows XP so as to keep my installation clean (every few months or so). You might need to do a clean install of Windows… I have found that the more Windows gets screwed with, the worse programs run on the OS.

My config is:

Windows XP Home and Pro
AMD 64 3000+
2 gig of ram
ATI 850XT Video
Maxtor 80gig drive
Maxtor 250gig drive
TDK 48x CDRW
Plextor 12x DVD±RW
SoundBlaster Live Drive

Ok. It seems that the whole track is still there, however only a few seconds of it is open. There is a little box at the end of the wave that I have to drag to show the whole file. I can’t do this everytime since some of my songs are 64 tracks.

I have had problems with n-Track 4 and above as well. I don’t know if it’s because i’ts build around the .NET framework (no program I have tired with that works properly), or if it’s because there have been too many add-on’s and interface changes or … I don’t know.

I bought it when only version 4 codes were being given and could never get it to work - random crashes - with our without plug-ins running - having to turn the buffer wayyyyy up to even come close to getting rid of pops in the playback (never mind recording). Wow, what a mess.

I emailed Flavio and he sent me version 3.3 codes. Removed 4.x and the .NET runtime, installed 3.3, grumbled for a second that my files would not open (I knew this would happen, but I still grumbled), started from scratch and now everything works beautifully.

-shrug- Looks like I’ll stick with 3.3

Edit I know it’s not a hardware problem:

Windows XP Pro SP 2
P4 2.4
1024MB ram
GeForce 6600GT 128MB
Maxtor 200gig ATA @7200
LG DVD/RW
m-audio FastTrack USB.

I also re-install Windows every few months and run the OS with no eye candy, tweaked services, etc etc

I had the same problem with the shrinking track. And yes it is a headache expanding the tracks. Only a few songs had this issue. For some reason not all tracks in the faulty songs was effected. Even after I expanded the track and save the song, after I reopened the song the same tracks would be gone again. In fact as I recall someone else had the same problem in a much earlier post. Unfortunatly I do not remember what may have caused it or how I fixed it, due to this happened a humber of builds ago. I think I may have reinstalled the whole thing from scratch and stayed away from customizing the look of ntrack. Or it may have been fixed in one of the newer builds.

I had the same problem with having to drag out certain tracks in a song every time i opened it. What I did to solve the problem was to drag the track out, then freeze it, then save the song. This worked fined for me, however your mileage may vary. I have version 4.0.5 build 1845.

Ted

I have to agree it’s a mess. My particular bit of mess happens when I try to record. I use a double monitor system and both screens flicker and flutter like crazy right after I click the record button. If I click around various places on either screen sometimes it will stop, but it’s tough to do that and keep playing guitar at the same time. I’ve installed the correct version of runtime, set preferences, etc. I’m running P4 2.8, 1 gb RAM, etc. Never had problems before with any N-track. Do you think I could get Flavio to send me version 3.3 with a serial? I paid for 4.1.5 build 2032 but I don’t care about the money…I figure his programs are worth 10 times what they cost anyway. Any help is appreciated and Flavio if you’re listening I can prove I’m a legitimate owner of version 4 if you need that to send me 3.3. Thanks.

I’m surprised that some guys don’t have problems with ntrack. OK those who don’t use it of course. But seriously, maybe those people who use it regularly without problems could share their setup with everybody. Maybe there is something that we could do to the preferences, or whatever, to make it more stable. Sharing this information could benefit everybody.
Maybe Flavio will address the instability issues at some time, rather than stuffing it with features. Lets face it most of us don’t use them anyway. I suspect that ntrack doesn’t like the usb package based protokoll too much. My setup is completely useless with ntrack, although tracktion1, multitrackstudio, cubase, etc. all work without a glitch. (Laptop Centrino 1,5 GHz, 1GB RAM, Win XP, Behringer BCA2000 usb2 external soundcard.)
I just kind of liked working with ntrack, but for the moment I’ve given up and use Multi Track Studio.

Quote (sinbad @ Feb. 27 2006,04:30)
I’m surprised that some guys don’t have problems with ntrack. OK those who don’t use it of course. But seriously, maybe those people who use it regularly without problems could share their setup with everybody. Maybe there is something that we could do to the preferences, or whatever, to make it more stable. Sharing this information could benefit everybody.
Maybe Flavio will address the instability issues at some time, rather than stuffing it with features. Lets face it most of us don’t use them anyway. I suspect that ntrack doesn’t like the usb package based protokoll too much. My setup is completely useless with ntrack, although tracktion1, multitrackstudio, cubase, etc. all work without a glitch. (Laptop Centrino 1,5 GHz, 1GB RAM, Win XP, Behringer BCA2000 usb2 external soundcard.)
I just kind of liked working with ntrack, but for the moment I’ve given up and use Multi Track Studio.

Hey Sinbad,

I don’t have any problems. As I said before, I use only AMD based systems (2 Athlon XPs and 1 Athlon 64 processor). The motherboards are all different; 1 Nvidia board, 1 SIS board and 1 VIA board. All are running either Win XP Pro or Home.
For interfaces, I use an ESI WamiRack 192L or an M-Audio Duo or a SoundBlaster Live Drive. I haven’t had any problems with any of these setups. The last time I had N-Track problems was when I was running a Pentium 233. That was quite a few years ago, but it was an Intel system. I doubt the problems you are having have to do with running N-Track on an Intel system, but that is the only thing I see as being much different than my systems. Plus, I am running the first version of N-Track 4, (build 1694).

Lastly, I do use N-Track daily. I teach guitar for a living and am constantly making backing tracks and recordings for and of students.

take care,

Mike

ASUS A8V w/ 2gig ram
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (overclocked 10%)
2 Maxtor Hard Drives
TDK 48X CDRW
Plextor 12X DVD-RW
ATI 850XT

Mike

I’ve had great results with n-Track also. Knock on wood but it virtually never crashes. It just works. I’m careful about upgrading - I went from 3.3 to 4.0.5 build 1876 and that’s what I’m using now. I’m between projects and I’m seriously considering moving to 4.1.5 because I have begged for the feature of being able to draw volume envelopes across multiple tracks at once.

Like DrGuitar I use an AMD system. When I built my recording computer I did a fair bit of research and I largely chose my components on what others on this forum said was working for them. This goes for the soundcard as well. One of the reasons I went with the M-Audio delta cards was because they seemed to be reliable and the drivers were stable.

One thing I do that I believe has helped is that I have operating systems on two separate drives. I have one drive strictly for recording and I don’t put any other programs on that drive. I use the other drive for internet and other stuff.

Here’s my setup:

Win XP Home - automatic updates is enabled
AMD Athlon 2200+
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Mobo (n-videa chip set)
N-Videa 5200 graphics card
1 Gig of ram
3 harddrives

Delta 1010 & Delta 66 converters
I use M-Audio’s WDM drivers

I have to agree with the major problem being the different systems and setups. Of couse Ntracks has its flaws, but it is still a great program. Most of the time when I have a problem it can be linked to bad drivers, registry issues caused by other software or from me fumbling with it myself. Some overlook the possibility of a problem with their setup and tend to compare other software making statements like “program X works perfectly with my system”. Maybe program X is not constantly being upgraded and changed to keep its users satisfied. Maybe program X is stuck on the same build until the next version comes out which the user has to shove out more doe for an upgrade with very little improvements. I have tried different versions of program X and always came back to the big N. Yes I had a few minor issues with Ntrack that were fixed one way or another (new builds, fixing my registry, uninstalling other faulty software). Keep in mind not everyone will have the same ghost in the machine. I do not use Ntrack as a means of income, but I know what works for me. :)

Good feedback. Interesting to see the different setups, and especially the different versions of ntrack being used. My old system was AMD too and it worked quite well, the odd problem I had I put down to Win98 registry issues. I’ve had the bca2000 asio driver under suspicion for a while, I think that ntrack and the driver just don’t get along. It may have something to do with the usb2 trying to handle bigger data blocks. When I get some funds I am going to either revert back to a standalone cpi system with my old terratec ews88 card, or exchange the bca2000 for a decent firewire card.

I’m using vers 4.1.5 build 2042.
Pentium 4 3.0ghz on an Asrock MB, 1 gb ram, nvidia 4600 video, M-Audio 2496, 120gb HD (2 partitions - 30gb for OS, 90 for recording).
Windows XP - sp2.
SoundForge 8.0
Ozone 3
CD Architech

N-Tracks has been rock solid, no blow-ups at all.

Now if I could just get that track EQ/Comp to open up at the size I want, I’d be in heaven.