n track 6 new version new problems!

n track 6

I have been mostly very content with version 4 until I installed a ESI Juli@ soundcard with was just too much for it. so i downloaded version 6. well the soundcard was much happier, but again niggling problems make quick use irritating. One is that when an effect is opened for editing it lodges itself behind the track mixer. And the timeline thingy that shows you where you are as the music plays stil sticks if you reposition it with the slider. grrr. And now that the Aux controls on each track in the track mixer have gone - how the heck do you create an Aux return!!??

There is now View menu on the tool bar that turns feature displays on.off
a History Window = View > Editing History
To select Mixer features = View > Mixer
To see the signal path = View > Single Path
And a lot more under other Menus - you can reach it as a part of the track Properties menu (right click on the tracks wave form display)
But read on for more information
The AUX send has moved - it is now a selection in each tracks Send to box
The program is more customize-able than before. You may want to look over the latest lists of changes on the download page and look over the manual for version 6.
You need to do some experimenting with the Right-Click and Menus. Many of the displayed features can be closed by clicking on the X in the upper right corner.
Right click on the bar at the top of an items window (the bar that shows the title of the window) and you can toggle Dock/undock. The Aux channels can be displayed or not by selecting the Items to display, click on an open space on the mixer to set the what you want it to display. By right click on most displayed items will yield a menu of features for the component. Including the feature of clicking on the bar that show where the track output is sent will now yield a menu that includes the AUx channel as a selection: Example: click on an open space on the mixer and turn mixer features on/off
In the box under the slider and above the box that displays the track’s effects will be where you can set where track’s output will be directed. You may select The sound card, Aux send, Group, or another track. The same selections can be made on the box in the tracks left side box.
It all is pretty easy, once you start using it.
Basically, if you want to change something, try a right click on that component. Or scroll through the menus
Hope this helps,
Bax

Thanks for that-yes I found Aux stuff somewhere. Interesting, my Version 4 tracks stil load in the tracks mixer with their Aux features! I guess that I will figure it out from your explaination. Another feature that has taken a backwards trend is the cross which is used to move the track in the timebar, again once so simple, select the cross from the toolbar and move the track. now you have to fiddle with the tiny x and it wont happen if the track volume is selected.
The best attribute of n-track studio is that compared to other multitrack software, you can concentrate on making music instead of fiddling with a complex monster. I am sure that if any engineer or musician needs more than 10% of the features in these programs they have lost the plot, which is to make music.
On a happier note I like the new zoom in/out system, my 1st finger has artheritis from clicking repeatedly the zoom buttons…

I had the same problem using Studio 6 with seeing the aux sends for each channel in the mixer. I figured it out. Go to the main screen that shows the wave track. To the left it has mute, solo, freeze, monitor, and output features. Click in the output box and select “add new send”. That new send will then show up at the botton of each track in the mixer.

Hope this helps. :)

Keith

Quote: (lastperfectday @ Jul. 30 2009, 3:10 AM)

Another feature that has taken a backwards trend is the cross which is used to move the track in the timebar, again once so simple, select the cross from the toolbar and move the track. now you have to fiddle with the tiny x and it wont happen if the track volume is selected.

What version are you using exactly? The toolbar cross icon has been re-add in v6.0.6.
You may need to reset the toolbar to its default settings by right clicking on the toolbar and selecting "Reset toolbars" from the popup menu.

Flavio.

You could also experiment with the “customize tool bar tool” to add, remove and position as you like.

Thanks for your input - as you musicians have done - its a matter of working it out.