n-track + audiophile 24/96?

do any of you guys use them together?

i was wondering if anyone uses n-track with an audiophile 24/96 soundcard. if so, tell me whether your experiences have been good with them, since i’m considering buying an audiophile myself. thanks.

I would say more than %50 aorund here use and M-audio card of some kind.
And most of the post I’ve read over the last year have been nothing but praise.
I had one of the 24/96’s myself a couple years ago, but could never get it goin’.
At the time I knew little or nothing about computers, and hadn’t discovered this forum yet. So I simply got frustrated, put it back in the box and resold it.
I was atrackted to the cards mulitiple input properties. I wanted to record multiple tracks simitaniously. Now that I’ve learned how to install and set it up, I only regret I got rid of it when I did.
Good luck, and don’t be as foolish as me, these guys’s are great and will walk you through just about anything.

jerm

I have the AP 2496-- it does what it’s supposed to very well for the price, and N-track has had no issues with it in my setup. It seems that everything has given me problems BUT the AP 2496 (DAW system, mics, preamps, synth, even N-track (i.e., bugs)), so I’m happy with it; it’s been very reliable.

I think the main thing to really ask yourself is if you want to be limited to 2 analog (RCA) inputs (i.e, left/right). I record keyboards, vocals, and guitar through it, and there are times where I wish I could have at least 6 analog inputs, because I have to swap connections a lot. It really slows down the creative/work flow sometimes. But theoretically you can sync up to 4 of these cards together in one system, so you can add extra inputs that way, but I can’t vouch for how well it works myself.

But for what it is, I can’t think of anything better for $99.

HTH

Tony

Hi.

I am using N-Track (and Propellerheads Reason) with Audiophile 2496 for a while now. I experienced several N-Track crashes while mixing (never during recording, fortunately), whereas Propellerheads Reason runs rock solid with the M-Audio card. So I agree to the previous post that it’s rather up to Flavio to get some N-Track bugs fixed and I cannot blame the M-Audio card or its drivers.

Oliver

Quote (Scantee @ Feb. 20 2005,22:44)
where I wish I could have at least 6 analog inputs, because I have to swap connections a lot. It really slows down the creative/work flow sometimes. But theoretically you can sync up to 4 of these

A cheap patch-bay would reduce that frustration level quite a bit. Instead of crawling around in the back of your computer and under your desk, you just move the jumper from one place to the next. Works for me.

-John
:cool:

No Problems here, great card for the price. The only thing I don’t care for is the RCA input/output connectors. I’d rather have balanced 1/4", but no big deal there.

This card has never given me any problems whatsoever, I would whole heartedly recommendend it. I also got mine used in exchange for some computer work on a friends PC.

.-=gp=-.

Quote (John @ Feb. 21 2005,08:14)
Quote (Scantee @ Feb. 20 2005,22:44)
where I wish I could have at least 6 analog inputs, because I have to swap connections a lot. It really slows down the creative/work flow sometimes. But theoretically you can sync up to 4 of these

A cheap patch-bay would reduce that frustration level quite a bit.
Thanks for the tip, John! I will very likely do that.
Quote (John @ Feb. 21 2005,08:14)
Instead of crawling around in the back of your computer and under your desk, you just move the jumper from one place to the next.
Wait...how did you know I do that? That's just plain eerie...

:D

Tony
Quote (chutz @ Feb. 21 2005,10:27)
No Problems here, great card for the price. The only thing I don't care for is the RCA input/output connectors. I'd rather have balanced 1/4", but no big deal there.
.-=gp=-.

I bought good, solid phono plugs,and made long cables that go from my 2496 ... to my jackfield! So that's both problems (phono jacks, and crawling around back) solved.

And the 2496 has been a brick for me too - solid, quiet and dependable. My PC on the other hand (Athlon 1.4) has been a box of poo. Bad mobo, maybe. Getting a Pentium 4 this month...

Hi Archimedes,

Thanks for the idea, I’ve been using instrument cables with 1/4" -> RCA adapters - Bad idea, puts a lot of strain on the jacks. Going to the patchbay would really help.

.-=gp=-.

So how long of a cable is it OK to use on the audiophile’s input? I know it is not as critical as with a mic level input. I have no experience using long cables on an unbalanced line level inputs or with the audiophile in particular so I don’t know what might cause problems. I am redoing my workspace from scratch so any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Track

Quote (TrackGrrrl @ Feb. 22 2005,14:05)
So how long of a cable is it OK to use on the audiophile's input? I know it is not as critical as with a mic level input. I have no

My computer is on oen side of my desk and the rack&patch-bay on on the other side, so my cable is about 6-8 feet long. *However*, I have noticed a very low level hum that probably shouldn't be there, but the sound quality is just fine.

Here are some songs I recorded with that set-up.

In general, the shorter the better... Whenever you can get away with it.

-John
:cool:
Quote (TrackGrrrl @ Feb. 22 2005,14:05)
So how long of a cable is it OK to use on the audiophile's input?

Modern unbalanced outs are usually opamp with decently low impedance, so they can drive a few feet without noticeable degradation.

I make my own cables. I think I used a small coax (RG 174) and good solid phono plugs on the 2496 end. My cables are about 8 feet from 2496 to patchbay.

John, I have no problem with induced hum. I suspect your issue might be a small groundloop problem.

Thanks for the feedback, John and archimedes.

The way things are layed out here I could easily need to go 20 feet so this has me a little concerned. Guess I will ponder my options.

Peace,
TrackGrrrl

Hmmm, that got me to thinking. Couldn’t you use a balanced cable, wire the RCA between the signal and reference leads, and run the shield wire back to the mixing board? That way you still get the shielding of having the outer braid, and it goes to ground at the board end - not unlike an XLR with a lifted ground.

That way you cable runs can get pretty long with no noise worries.

.-=gp=-.

Quote (chutz @ Feb. 22 2005,22:23)
Hmmm, that got me to thinking. Couldn't you use a balanced cable, wire the RCA between the signal and reference leads, and run the shield wire back to the mixing board? That way you still get the shielding of having the outer braid, and it goes to ground at the board end - not unlike an XLR with a lifted ground.

That way you cable runs can get pretty long with no noise worries.

.-=gp=-.

You can sometimes get modest improvements in electrostatic shielding by trying such permutations, but superior rejection of magnetically induced noise requires balanced inputs. Distance works, too, if you can route the wire away from known noise sources.

TrackGrrrl, I would beg/borrow 20' cables and just try it. I'm betting it would be OK.