N-track drums tutorial

Is there a tutorial on how to use n-track drums? I have no idea how it works or what to do with it. Thanks

YES!

HotDogWater wrote it, and it is awesome. I like to think I had a hand in it, as maybe my “cries for help” were answered in the form of this tutorial. Actually, before the tutorial was written, I was offering to pay anyone $50 an hour to explain it to me. lol.

Search the forum for “nTrack Drum Tutorial” - specifically posted by HotDogWater.

Here is a link to download his supplemental tutorial in a pdf file:
http://groups.google.com/group…ial.pdf

Be patient with it, but also don’t get discouraged. Once you get a handle on it, you’ll see it is very intuitive,and quite a powerful program.

Here is a link to one of my songs that was recorded using NTrack, and the NTrack drums program. Play the song on the top w/ a “III” behind the title. It is the best mix so far.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=704632

All the best,
Iplan

iplan thanks for that link. That definitely helps!

Keep posting your progress… the drums are worth twice the cost of the entire recording software program IMO.

(Iplan @ Jun. 30 2007,11:39)
Keep posting your progress... the drums are worth twice the cost of the entire recording software program IMO.

Certainly that tool looks good for creating brand new drum tracks. But consider this situation. I have an existing MIDI file that already contains pre-programmed MIDI drums for an entire song. I import this MIDI file into N-track. Now, how do I go about wiring up this MIDI track so that it plays through n-drums?

I don’t think Ndrums is well suited to playing an existing MIDI file (or I haven’t figured out a good way to do it). If I wanted to play an existing MIDI drum file, I’d direct its output to sfz and find myself a drum soundfont that sounded good with it. Perhaps at Hammersound or Soundfonts.it.

Iplan,

When I get to the event’s list and then click on the link under “time” to open up the note properties, I’m lost.

The note properties “start time” is the same as the information in the event’s list window; however, the “end time” note properties is not the same as the data column info in the event’s window.

Do these numbers relate to the time-line numbers in some strange language?

In order to plan my multiple pattern sequences, I need to know how to read the numbers both on the time-line and the events/note property windows.

I’ve not seen a clear explanation of how to program these drums. Don’t feel bad if you if you can’t answer my question.

Andrew

I can’t get the link to work. Is this a PEBKAC?

If you mean the Drum Toutorial won’t open, right-click and do a Save-As…

It’s a PDF file that doesn’t want to open in some versions of IExplorer (or maybe other browsers as well). You’ll need an Adobe PDF Reader to open it.

[quote=Andrew,Jul. 07 2007,01:26][/quote]
HotDogWater,

When I get to the event’s list and then click on the link under “time” to open up the note properties, I’m lost.

The note properties “start time” is the same as the information in the event’s list window; however, the “end time” note properties is not the same as the data column info in the event’s window.

Do these numbers relate to the time-line numbers in some strange language?

In order to plan my multiple pattern sequences, I need to know how to read the numbers both on the time-line and the events/note property windows.

I’ve not seen a clear explanation of how to program these drums. Don’t feel bad if you if you can’t answer my question.

Andrew

Best guess is that your timeline is set to display HH:MM:SS format, whereas the MIDI event list always does measures:beats. You can change the timeline to also display this format by right clicking on it. Does that help?

[edit]
Since I wrote that tutorial (which was a learn and document simultaneously thing) I’ve really gotten away from using the MIDI event list. While it’s a good troubleshooting tool, its far easier to just place the changes graphically. I’ll see if I can find some time this week to update the tutorial.

HotDogWater is right about the graphic version being better.

Click on the midi fader control in your list of tracks, and click, "Show Piano Roll"

This will open up something that looks like a keyboard.

The drums can then be programmed by selecting boxes boxes in the gird of the piano roll.

I’ll post the details on this process in a bit (I’m not at the computer w/ N-Track on it), so this is more of a general statement to get you moving in the right direction.

Keep fighting for it. Don’t give up - you’re nearly there.

All the best,
Iplan

Hey I dont have the rock::acoustic live thingy… mine only has the Boss…220 thingy why?

The program comes with an “introductory” list of of drum kits. You an add more kits at the DK+ website below:

http://nusofting.liqihsynth.com/DKplus_Virtual_Drums.htm

Thank you sir!!!

The initial key in linking the “Piano Roll” to the drums is to first have the midi output to channel 16.

Then follow this guide.
1. To assign a beat, click the “quarter not” in the tool menu of the piano roll, and click the the leftmost grid by "C3."
2. Then hit record, and you should hear N-Track drums playing pattern A over and over again.

Troubleshooting: If you don’t hear a drum kit wailing away, make sure you follow the following steps.
1. Have the drum kit loaded on the song. Assuming you’ve already loaded it previously - (open your master mixer, and look for N-Track drums under the “Synth” slider. To open the drums click the N-Track drums word 3 or 4 times). This is the definitive way to reopen N-Track, and whatever you do, don’t click "add channel, “add new instrument channel” then “VSTI” then “N-track drums” - as you will literally add another drummer to your band.

2. Make sure the the the drum kit is “on.” To check this, click the “Steps” button on the N-Track Drum tool bar, and look in the bottom left hand corner. I think “red” is “on” and clear is "off."

3. Have loaded the drum file for the song… this one happens to the best of us (and I don’t count myself as one of “us” - because I’m not that good, but it does happen to me too. You have to save the drum files, or you’ll loose them, and have to start over every time. HotDogWater’s tutorial explains how to save the patterns his “Saving Your Patterns” heading. That said, once you’ve saved them, and closed the N-Track program, you have to reopen N-Track drums and reload the drum file the next time you open the song.

Now assuming that you’re hearing the drums played to your song, and that you’re hearing pattern A played over and over, it might occur to you that having pattern B played during the chorus of your song might spice things up a bit… so here’s how you tell the drums to do that automatically - every time:
1. Assuming you’re viewing the piano roll, play the song up to the point you want the program to switch to pattern B, and pause the track. Now on the piano roll you’ll note a dotted vertical line. This is the time marker in the track (the place your track is paused). Highlight the box immediately following the veritcal line beside C#3, and you’ll be set. When the song reaches this point every time in the future, it will automatically switch to pattern B.

Rewind the track a bit to see if your change takes effect.

Important point. In HotDogWater’s tutorial, he recommends setting up the program to change only after completing the pattern. In other words, if the pattern is 4 bars, it’s going to play all 4 bars before changing - regardless of when you tell it to change. This can cause a delay in the carrying out of your instruction.

To me, it’s easier to have the patterns change when I tell them too - regardless. Opting for this strategy will make your changes exactly when you want to (and may eliminate confusion, and the need to perform some serious drum editing).

I can see merits in either approach, but I like my way - because I’m a NOOB, and I want to keep things as simple as possible.

Assuming you’re a NOOB like me, and you want to follow NOOB’s law (don’t over complicate anything…) follow the listed steps below:
To make the pattern changes immediately, From the N-Track drums tool bar, select “menu” then “preferences” then make sure the box for "Sequencer Live mode is empty (not checked), then click “apply.” There you go.

Back to your song…
After the chorus, you’ll want to return to pattern A for the 2nd verse. To do this, follow the previous steps, but select C3 on the piano roll at the point in the song you want to make the change - as C3 is the note that the piano roll associates with Pattern A, and Db3 is the note that the piano roll associates with Pattern B.

Here’s a handy point of refernce that you should print out, and keep handy. In fact, I keep mine on a post it note stuck to my computer monitor:
Each Drum pattern has a corresponding note that activates in the Midi Piano Roll. I’ve listed them through Pattern M.

Pattern A = C3
Pattern B = Db3
Pattern C = D3
Pattern D = Eb3
Pattern E = E3
Pattern F = F3
Pattern G = Gb3
Pattern H = G3
Pattern I = Ab3
Pattern J = A3
Pattern K = Bb3
Pattern L = B3
Pattern M = C4

Finally, you can tell program the drums to be quiet (at the beginning or ending of a song), by selecting a pattern with nothing on it.

I hope that helps, and keep us posted on your progress, and questions you might have.

All the best,
Iplan