N Track facelift?

Hello, it’s been a while since i’ve been here & it’s good to see there’s still plenty of N track users. I was just curious & this is not an insult to this program at all, but i was just wondering if there will ever be a new look to N Track in the near future. I know graphics has nothing to do w/ the audio quality, but i do think it would be pretty cool to see a new console look to this program.

Just be glad it is starting to stabilize, too many features and changes equals too many bugs and issues. all is quiet on the front these days.

I don’t think nTrack looks all that bad.

Cubase is pretty blllahhh, sonar is pretty bllahhhh. The sexiest DAW I’ve seen is FL Studio. Almost so sexy it’s distracting. None the same though, it should be pretty easy to have some skin options without affecting stability.

I would like snake skin, or or a zillion pair of boobies, or maybe some Rolling Stones hotlips.

was that me talking…man I sound like a 13 year old. Skip the boobies thing. I meant breasticles. Pamela Anderson. One pair will do.

I think it looks great the way it is. Most interfaces I see that spend time trying to look like hardware or metal or stuff like that are worse than the simple, effective ones. It annoys me that folks prefer “swoopy looking” stuff to stuff that just plain works well.

Let me continue on my rant …

This isn’t limited to software; it applies to hardware too. For example, look at home routers & hubs. Not long ago, these were nice little rectangular boxes, which you could easily screw-mount to the side of a cabinet, or stack up if you have multiple things like hub, router, wireless access point, modem, etc. But when the home market started to grow, all the manufacturers had to change the designs to make them look cool, and now they’re all idiotically curved and “fast looking”. I HATE THAT! And we can’t blame the manufacturers, it’s the idiotic consumers that cause it.

Form and function should fit hand in glove. Of course, there are aesthetic elements that aren’t related to function, but rarely should function be sacrificed for appearance.

OK, rant over!

Ntrack 2.3 looked more functional to me, 3.3 looks like a toy.

Have to say besides it not liking digital fishphone plug, nT3.3 has been great since I stopped overclocking and changed to a gigabyte nf2 board (from an asus nf2 board)

I think the option to use skins would be nice to have. That way the guys who like Ntrack as is do not have to change and could even go back to an earlier look. And for others wanting a new look have that option as well. This would practically eliminate the complaint of how Ntracks looks. Of course stability is more important but there is nothing wrong with wanting Ntrack looking as good as it performs for the individuals using it.

You can always grab a Pro Tools graphic and use it for a background. :)

Seriously, consider what Acid looks like, or ProTools for that matter.

I think n-Track looks perfect.

Cats Head B.,

I think you can go ahead and create the skins yourself if you want. Its not that hard from what I see.

Ever since I started with v3 I’ve always had my favorite photos as a background in the multitrack view. Thats easy enough - just replace the bitmap for that with your favorite picture.

As far as the controls go, you can take the bitmaps Flavio made and create your own buttons, knobs, faders, etc. just as in S’a’mplitu’d.e which uses a similar bitmap overlay.

I’ve been wanting to get around to doing just that but maybe you’ll be the first one - and if you do, post them up! That might encourage me and others to get started finally.

It would be very very easy for Flavio to add a menu item for selecting skins by name and add a default directory for their storage. Maybe he hasn’t because no one has made any skins!

no cents

I have a generic HP computer with On Board Intel video with the latest drivers.

I just wish that after I arrange the mixer display that it would look the same way twice! It never has.

I wish there was a way to save just the layout of the screen. Then when you update the program…if you reset to default settings…you could just bring up the saved layout and only have to configure the audio/midi. It takes a while to do the layout.

The track mixer display gives me the same problem.

I think the video coding needs to be addressed. It stutters when I move objects. Other programs I have don’t.

I like the layout of MultitrackStudio. Clean & simple.

The things I like are the nTrack plugins, the effects preloaded on tracks and the sound. And I don’t know…but Ya…this program sounds different to me than CakeWalk HS. Maybe my ears are shot but it sounds cleaner and “raw” …more like I’m hearing what I’m recording! Cake has a dullness to me.

I would like the timeline cleaned up like Cake HS. Cake is easier to navigate as far as expanding/collapsing tracks and zooming in etc. They both have the features but Cake gets me there quicker and the timeline is easier to read. I use the Measures View on the top timeline.

This isn’t a visual complaint but as long as I’m here!..I would like to be able to right click a wave and split it where I click it. Click/split here…Click/split there…click/drag to move it or click/delete to trash it.

KingFish

Hi Kingfish,

All your points below are valid and some of the problems with N-tracks graphics have been longstanding ones. I hope Flavio takes notice of this thread. More comments below:

<!–QuoteBegin>

I just wish that after I arrange the mixer display that it would look the same way twice! It never has.

I would agree that its not quite what it should be. Most of the other programs are long past these minor but annoying issues. Fixing them or standardizing things would remove most of the irritations that make me consider other programs.

<!–QuoteBegin>
I wish there was a way to save just the layout of the screen. Then when you update the program…if you reset to default settings…you could just bring up the saved layout and only have to configure the audio/midi. It takes a while to do the layout.

Good point! Even if the situation with the mixer and other graphics irritations remained, they would not be so annoying if we could save a number of preferred layouts. I think this would be very easy to implement also.

<!–QuoteBegin>
The track mixer display gives me the same problem.

I think the video coding needs to be addressed. It stutters when I move objects. Other programs I have don’t.

I agree and its been a long-standing request of mine that these artefacts be brought at least to a reasonable level, if not eliminated entirely.

<!–QuoteBegin>
The things I like are the nTrack plugins, the effects preloaded on tracks and the sound. And I don’t know…but Ya…this program sounds different to me than C’a’k’e’W’a’l’k HS. Maybe my ears are shot but it sounds cleaner and “raw” …more like I’m hearing what I’m recording! Cake has a dullness to me.

Since you’re one of those people that noticed a differnence in the “sound” of N-track vs. competitors, can you post an example of an identical mix done on both programs?

Also, have you tried the 64 bit mixing option in N-track? I’d be really interested to know if you can hear a differnce between the default 32 bit setting and the 64 bit setting. I started a recent thread about this entitled “what can you say about it.” If you have any comments based on your real, everyday experience it would interesting to read them.

<!–QuoteBegin>
I would like the timeline cleaned up like C’ake HS. Ca’ke is easier to navigate as far as expanding/collapsing tracks and zooming in etc. They both have the features but Ca’ke gets me there quicker and the timeline is easier to read. I use the Measures View on the top timeline.

I find the S@nar user interface far too cluttered to concentrate on the music rather than carefully pointing and clicking the mouse. There are some ideas and concepts that would definitely improve N-track as far as navigation goes, but it would have to be done carefully because the screen is already overcrowded in N-track.

<!–QuoteBegin>
This isn’t a visual complaint but as long as I’m here!..I would like to be able to right click a wave and split it where I click it. Click/split here…Click/split there…click/drag to move it or click/delete to trash it.

Good point! Unless I’m completely unaware of it (and maybe I am) this feature doesn’t exists n N-track. If it doesn’t then its one of those little extras that would easy to implement and time saving for many users.

no cents

<!–QuoteBegin>

Also, have you tried the 64 bit mixing option in N-track? I’d be really interested to know if you can hear a differnce between the default 32 bit setting and the 64 bit setting

I thought that just meant that nTrack had been complied to run on x64 processors.

I do like the skins idea!! that sounds really cool, good idea. i’m not really computer literate enuff do do the bitmap thing w/ photos though, i wish i was. thanx for all the feedback on this idea guys.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I do like the skins idea!! that sounds really cool, good idea. i’m not really computer literate enuff do do the bitmap thing w/ photos though, i wish i was. thanx for all the feedback on this idea guys.

Just to show you how easy it is (and how awful I am w/graphics) I created a new fader style - call it ugly-yellow 101 for now. It was as simple as editing the various *.png files in a standard image editing program. Actually I may keep these ugly faders because they make it easier to see and grab them with the mouse. They’re also a little larger than the normal ones because I just filled in the rectangle the fader resides in with a background color.

I would happily make several sets of skins for N-track, except that they’d wouldn’t be very appealing. Hopefully someone with some skill in the graphic arts would take interest in this. Having a little variety of scenery would add another dimension to the N-track experience.

no cents

ps - you just drop the new images in your n-track folder and rename the original then rename the new ones to the original file names

Check out a screen capture of the results:

ugly faders

Ugly faders ! :D

Nocents - that is indeed an appropreate name :p

But it is very cool.

This could just be a very cool ‘community project’ to do the ‘N-Track skins pack’.

Nice .

W

Them’re ugly!

:)

<!–QuoteBegin>

This could just be a very cool ‘community project’ to do the ‘N-Track skins pack’.

I agree and thats the purpose of the ugly faders - maybe some people will think they’re so ugly they’ll be motivated to try to make nice ones!

Actually as ugly as they are they’re very functional. The rough X shape in yellow makes the faders easier to see clearly on a big monitor. Sometimes I find that graphics that try to simulate the real thing are hard to work with. I guess thats why programs like Trac’k’tion and Ablet@n use flat neon graphics.

The bottom line is giving N-track a facelift is very easy and all the graphic components are there in the N-track directory - either as bitmaps or .png files.

I used to think the look of the program didn’t matter but after a few years seeing the same thing its nice to have a change of scenery. And sometimes it actually can give you help you navigate a little faster.

I’m up for a community project. Anyone else interested?

no cents

I agree that, although function is the most important thing, n-Track could be prettier. The appearance and aesthetics of things play a part in people’s enjoyment of using them. This is why Gibson and Fender were such successful and influential guitar companies - they designed the best guitars with the best body shapes. It’s simply the shapes that secured their success. Sure they were quality playable instruments, made to a high standard - but people bought them because of what they look like.

Back to n-Track… I’ve managed to make it slicker and neater looking: I’ve altered the toolbar bitmaps to make them black&white / grey; I’ve altered the colour of the mixer to match Windows (ie. beige/grey). I use those button bitmaps another forum poster designed a couple of years ago - I forget his name - which look slicker than the originals. Lastly I’ve got rid of the red and green etc wave form colours - yuk - and replaced with a more hi-tech looking grey. And it looks great, a joy to use.

I also record some music sometimes… :;):

Well, if you are tired of n-Track look, i can sell you my Gold skin, only by u$s 150! :wink:

Read about skins here:
http://www.ntrack.com/cgi-bin…hl=.bmp
http://www.ntrack.com/cgi-bin…hl=.bmp