n-Track folder on my server

Any quick tips on allowing open access to a folder on my server before I have to call my host for help?

I want to open this folder to everyone.

my n-Track ‘stuff’

Maybe copy it to another folder called ‘Public’ with r/w privilege so
you don’t get your original screwed up.

It looks like a unix server so you just need to chmod it to rw-r–r-- (ie change the permissions to it)

Is that what you wanted to know or did I miss the point?

Yea Mark - I’ve never changed any of that. (wonder where I do that? :laugh: )

You can do it in your FTP software (try right-clicking to folder and seeing if there is a “permissions” option. Or you can sometimes do it in the control panel software for your web host. Only takes a moment to do when you know what to do.

Thanks Mark - I have a ton of help images on there I’d like to open up for folks to peek at.

I’ve got “Core FTP Lite” on this laptop, and when I’m connected to my web host I right-click and select “properties”.

Unix organises it’s permissions for “Owner”, “Group” and “world”. Every file has an owner and can belong to a group (to which users belong). “World” is everyone else.

You can then set the permissions to each one of the three areas.

Each has “rwx” - read, write and execute. So three sets of that define the permissions for that file/folder.

Sometimes this is written out in numbers (where x=1, w=2, r=4) so each permssion can be represented as a number; three numbers for the whole file. eg “400” is read only for owner. “644” is read/write for owner, and read-only for group and world. And “666” is, well, you figure :slight_smile:

The “x” - execute - allows executable files to run, and if my memory serves correctly allows directories to be searched. So “777” would be full access to everything :slight_smile:

I suspect you want to add “r” permissions to “world”, and maybe “x” too. 775

HTH

I’ve been using ftp surfer for so long - I might try what you’re using.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 20 2009, 10:05 PM)

I've been using ftp surfer for so long - I might try what you're using.

I've just d/l your FTP client and tried it. It works just fine. Connect to your site, find and select your folder in the right-hand pane. Then use "tools"-->"change permissions".

I downloaded Core - I remember it now. I’ll set up a new pic folder and open it up hopefully by tomorrow.
Thanks again Mark.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 20 2009, 10:20 PM)

I downloaded Core - I remember it now. I'll set up a new pic folder and open it up hopefully by tomorrow.
Thanks again Mark.

You're welcome.