N-track locking up... effects

Major Problem!!!

About a year ago, my pc was on the fritz and I upgraded. I reinstalled everything as closely as possible to what I had. However, in the process I lost some effects. Well, now if I go to load a project that had effects assigned before the upgrade, n-track locks up and must be restarted. I had been hoping upgrades would fix the problem, but now I really need to mix the project and the only way I can think of to continue with those tracks that lock up is to rebuild the songs from scratch trying to line up and time up each and every track… and I use as many as 40 simultaneous tracks with multiple takes assigned to each track, etc… You can see my frustration… Any suggestions????
In dire need,
Stephen

Does n lock up when opening the sng file or when you press play?

I have a few songs that lock up when I press play and I have had to remove fx 1 by 1 untili I work out which is the offending fx.
Endorphin used to be problematic for me… would lock up the system on occassion, but if I removed it and then put it back onthe same track it worked ok.
It was not conisistent or anything…
Haven’t used that plugin for a while now though…

Any possibility of installing an earlier version of N and loading the song and seeing if you can remove all fx and save nd then re-open with a later version of N??

Rich

When I load the song… “searching for directx effects” scrolls across the bottom and the program locks… I then get the dreaded “must close” window. If there were an earlier version of n available that doesn’t automatically load the effects with the song that would be great… but as a long time user, I don’t remember a version that didn’t automatically open the effects for the song…

Sounds like a dodgy effect. Is it just this song or does the effect scan crash on a blank project?

Try moving all the effects out of the vst folder then open a new, blank project. The scan should complete super quick.

Then load up your offending song. Later versions of n-Track are much better at handling missing effects and usually tell you which one(s) it’s missing. Move just the effects n-Track is looking for back into the vst folder and try again. If the scan crashes again it is a problem with a dodgy effect (and you just narrowed it down to a smaller possible group). If not, then try adding the other effects back in a few at a time and see what happens.

Mark

The problem is its trying to auto-open an effect that is no longer on the computer. I don’t even know what effects are missing. Its not a dodgy effect problem, I’ve dealt with them before. All songs that don’t have effects assigned or had effects assigned after the pc/hard drive/file rearrangement upgrade work perfectly…

to clarify some more… this is not a scan for effects because I opened the effects list to assign an effect… that scan runs fine. This is a scan for effects already assigned to open them with the song file. In other words Joe Blow Reverb is on Track 1. Joe Blow Reverb is no longer on the pc. I load the song and while the song is initially loading n-track attempts to auto-open Joe Blow Reverb for use in the song that it is assigned to. It doesn’t find it… n-track crashes. The only way I can figure to get around this is if there is some way to edit a song file so as to remove effects or if there is a way to tell n-track to not auto-open effects with songs…

<!–QuoteBegin>

The problem is its trying to auto-open an effect that is no longer on the computer. I don’t even know what effects are missing. Its not a dodgy effect problem, I’ve dealt with them before. All songs that don’t have effects assigned or had effects assigned after the pc/hard drive/file rearrangement upgrade work perfectly…

What version of n-Track? I’ve opened projects in V4 that have effects missing and n-Track handles it quite well informing me which effect is missing. But this is not what you are seeing.

When I upgraded to V4 I did have a problem with some old VSTs though which I had to remove before n-Track would allow the scan to complete.

Version 4.0.4 build 1770… It makes sence that n-track would react the way you describe, but it doesn’t for me. I have even contemplated that it is finding a .dll for effects that it is looking for, but those .dlls no longer work… if thats the case I still have no idea what to delete… whatever the difference… I’m screwed unless I can bypass that scan altogether.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I have even contemplated that it is finding a .dll for effects that it is looking for, but those .dlls no longer work… if thats the case I still have no idea what to delete…

Yes… In which case do what I said above and you may get somewhere!

I see what you’re saying… not sure I can replicate the problem in exactly the way you described however… but I will do some testing tonight involving moving all the effects and trying to open the files, etc, etc… No offense, but I think I tried it before several months ago, so I’m not terribly hopeful…

If it’s a DX effect it won’t be in your VST folder.
DX effects are installed using an exe usually and you need to uninstall them using the uninstall shortcut or from add/remove programs

You can also try DX Man from AnalogX which is handy for managing your DX plugins.
Lets you delete sometimes when they no longer appear in add/remove

Rich

Could it be??? First thanks for the DX Man link… way cool. Second the only audio related plugin that it says does not exist is IRONICALLY FASoft Compressor (facomp.dll) and I assume because it’s on the list that it is in fact in the registry… and I may very well have been using it. Now lets see if I can find it, reinstall it and maybe find my activation key… lol. Just maybe… not to get my hopes up… its actually what’s hanging me up…
:D

No such luck… still hanging up… but thanks for a really useful tool…
:(

<!–QuoteBegin>

Second the only audio related plugin that it says does not exist is IRONICALLY FASoft Compressor (facomp.dll) and I assume because it’s on the list that it is in fact in the registry… and I may very well have been using it.

That could very well be part or most of your problem. For it to show up in DXMan means it is registered as you said. n-Tracks will see in in the registry and assume it exists – that’s how DX plugins work. n-Tracks will crash when it tries to use a plug-in that doesn’t in fact exist (missing dll). That’s not an n-Tracks problem - that’s a registry-plugin problem that n-Tracks can’t reasonably handle.

This isn’t a problem with VST plugins because for them to exist all they have to do is be in the vst folder. Delete the dll and they are gone.

FYI: the current version of the FASoft Compressor is facomp10.dll. facomp.dll is the old one, so it would be reasonable to assume that it may be difficult to get the old version reinstalled. Even if you find the setup, installing it might screw up the facomp10.dll version. I don’t know if that can co-exist, though some older versions of the fasoft plug-ins can coexist with the newer ones (some versions of the EQ for example.

I reinstalled the plugin using DX Man and the song files are still hanging up. However, I completely agree that it is just such a thing that is causing the problem and that it really isn’t an n-track problem… just n-track related. I sent the song files that are locking up to Favio for him to play with… My hypothesis is that they will function perfectly normally on any copy of n-track but my own. I’m hoping that, should they open, he will remove the effects, resave them, and email them back. If he does not take them that far, understandably… I’m sure he stays busy, I would very much like for someone to try to do this for me. Any Takers???

Thanks to everyone for their help! :D

<!–QuoteBegin>

I reinstalled the plugin using DX Man and the song files are still hanging up.

Do you mean uninstalled? If so that should help, if that’s the issue. n-Tracks handles truly missing plugins ok, based on my experience.

Another thing to check it the number of AUX return channels. There has been a recuring bug in n-Tracks that will cause it to crash when opeing older songs that have more AUX channels required of the song than exist in the current n-Tracks. For example, if the song uses 2 AUX returns and n-Tracks has only 1 AUX showing in the mixer when the song is loaded it may crash. That’s been fixed twice. MAYBE it snuck back in. The workarounf is easy. Add enough AUX returns as is needed for the song before opeing the song. I hit it a few times because I regularly remove all AUX returns before starting a song. I add them only when I use them. n-Tracks defaults to having two AUX returns when first installed. The actual crash, if I understand what going on is that n-Tracks barf when trying to add plugins to an AUX return that doesn’t exist yet.

I’d be very surprised if that was it, since Flavio has already fixed it twice. Both times I emailed the song files to him, so you are doing the right thing by sending him those files. It’s great to have such close contact with the developer. :)

I tried unregistering the effect and reregistering the effect… no go either way. On a whim I set n-track for 25 auxs and still no go… But I definitely feel the problem is something exactly like what we’ve been describing… I just can’t isolate it…
If Flavio can’t work it out then I will just try having someone open the files on a different system then mine, remove the effects and resave them. I just don’t know anyone else other than the forum that uses n-track (whereas I’ve been registered for almost a decade now…)
Thanks!

You have probably already tried this but just in case . . .

In the past I’ve also had trouble with n-Track crashing when opening old projects that use plugins that I’ve since uninstalled (why do I keep trying and then uninstalling so many plugs and softsynths? Do I really need to experiment with yet another reverb? LOL!) The following has been effective for me:

Don’t double-click on the .sng file. Instead, open n-Track from the start menu (or by running the ntrack.exe executable) and then load the offending .sng file with the “File” => “Open” dialogue. If it hasn’t crashed yet then you’re in luck. DO NOT HIT PLAY! Remove the bad plugin(s) from the mixer and then "Save as . . " to a new project file. THEN EXIT n-Track and restart it with the newly saved file.

It is exactly for the reasons mentioned above that I tend to use VST plugins and avoid DX’s if possible. I HATE anything that touches my registry for no good reason.

In any case, good luck with your troubles,
mrtoad

Unfortunately… I only open n-track from a shortcut in the Quick Launch toolbar. I always use the open command unless the song is in the recent list… But thanks anyways… lol
And yes… I know what you mean about plugins… lol