n-Track "On", Computer "Off"...

Here’s the scenario:
I turn on the PC, turn on the US-428, Monitors, Open n-Track. I open a session, play the tune. Fine. Now I had bounced the bass and drums to a stereo track, but don’t like the balance I came up with. So I Remove the bounced Track, and Import the old drums track back in. I play it, and the “n-Track has encountered a problem and needs to close” window appears. I let the program close. Now, I open it back up, and a window “n-Track has recovered from a serious error…” appears. I click it off, and repeat the above process, and the PC shuts off!

1) Buffer settings?
2) Chipset/ Motherboard?
3) Procedure?
4) Something simple, like defrag disc?

My set-up:

2.0 GHz Celeron
Later model VIA chipset
512 MB RAM, PC3200 (400FSB)
‘All-In-Wonder’ video card
Tascam US-428

ASIO 2 drivers

I also have Cool Edit Pro 2 on the PC, which uses the WDM drivers.

This is a new problem. Anyone have an idea? Thanks for your time and help!

A note: Before this development, n-Track had “told” me it had disabled the loading of plug-ins-I evidently overdid it. Hmmmm… All the effects windows in the track view were now little Blue squares. I closed the program, re-opened it, and they were back, but I had re-thought my use of plug-ins, and gone a more minimalist route this time. Then this…

Hi Sloom:
Have you downloaded the latest build of n-Track? The build should be 1976… I think…

Start at that point… I’m always prompted, when I go to open n-Track, when I’m on line, to go to the download page to download the latest build… I never “Open” the file while on-line. I save the download, then install the build and …Well… It’s worth a try…

Bill…

Can’t hurt, Wox! I’ll try that, thanks.

Hold on a minute… There may be an issue with this 1976 build…

[EDIT]
Rectified… May have discovered an issue with the latest build… 1976…

Bill…

Hi Sloom :)

I use to have serious problems just like you are experiencing with the ASIO drivers. I switched to the WDM drivers and have not had any additional such issues.

Ted

Quote (Ted Roberts @ Oct. 22 2005,16:02)

I use to have serious problems just like you are experiencing with the ASIO drivers. I switched to the WDM drivers and have not had any additional such issues.

Ted
Heya, Ted. I switched just a bit ago to the WDM’s, and continued with the issue! So… I left the session, re-loaded my wav files, and there is at present no more problem. Sticking with the WDM; maybe that’s why the problem has gone away- maybe I had to dump the old, corrupted session, which had been fouled by the driver issue?

I am torn between readiness (to deal) and discouragement- I’ve been at this a while now, this kind of issue, with Cool Edit as well- though I’ve never seen my PC just drop the ball and shut down before! I do think there’s a motherboard/chipset thing. And that becomes a money thing- but in good time, I suppose.

Far as the Build, Wox, I don’t even know what that is. I did not wish to become a computer technician! Just want to produce some music. Sheesh… But it looks like I have to learn the ins and outs- it’s part of the signal flow in this medium, isn’t it? (Think of a Happy Place… think of a Happy Place…!)

I think we can all relate to the way you are feeling when you say you are a little discouraged, you have to wade thru a little of that when you are first getting started. There is a lot to learn, and it can be a bit daunting at first.

However most people are able to resolve their technical issues fairly quickly with the help of the super people on this forum. The good news is that once you clear the technical hurdles you are then ready to get into the meat of it.

Ntrack is a powerful program with a lot of features, and yet is relatively easy to use. Their is a learning curve just like with all recording software, however from what I can gather from other users, the curve is not nearly as steep as with some of the other products out there.

So hang in there Bud, you will be amazed what you can do once you figure out the solution to any technical problems you may have.

Above all I would say that is a REALLY GOOD idea to take notes as you learn how to record, mix and so on. You will be exposed to a lot of new ideas and great information and it is easy to forget what you have learned about how to get a great sound on a particular instrument, a great sound when you mixed down your drum tracks, etc. etc…

Best of luck to you Bud.

Ted

P.S. One more thing, if you use the Ntrack Parametric EQ, shut off the Frequency Spectrum Analyzer Display while you are using the Parametric. This will pretty much eliminate the likelyhood of crashes when you are manipulating the Parametric while a song or track is running.

I have been told that the problem is a video refresh issue.

Carry on Bud.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Far as the Build, Wox, I don’t even know what that is. I did not wish to become a computer technician! Just want to produce some music. Sheesh… But it looks like I have to learn the ins and outs- it’s part of the signal flow in this medium, isn’t it? (Think of a Happy Place… think of a Happy Place…!)

As you work through the problem, just tell yourself: "I could be trying to do all this with tape, I could be trying to do all this with tape…"

What new things did you do with yoru computer between the time it was working and the time it wasn’t?

Also, don’t those little blue squares mean that those plug ins are no longer on your computer? You can go through all of them and do a “remove effect” thing.

Just a thort… I had similar problems with my Toshiba laptop and the M-Audio Audiophile USB. I now use a Tascam US-122, also USB. I have very occassionally seen the same shut-down scenario. Note that there should be absolutely no other USB device in use. I wonder if it is an IRQ issue? Quoting from the excellent TweakGuides Tweaking Companion:
"…on certain motherboards particular IRQs are shared by default and cannot be changed. For example on many Intel based motherboards IRQ16 is often shared by both the AGP Port (Graphics card) and the USB Host Controller (USB Peripherals); this is unavoidable and usually does not result in any problems. In such cases where you feel there may be a conflict or reduced performance, your only course of action is to move one of the items to another physical location on your system. In the example above, it would be best not to use a USB device on the particular USB Host Controller that is shared on IRQ16 to ensure optimal graphics performance."
Maybe you could try using a different USB controller, or if you dare, learn how to check and change the IRQ. Or try adding a USB PCI card which costs around USD30, is easy to fit, and use that for the Tascam, as the IRQ will then be different.

It’s worth persisting. n-Track is a good tool.
Cheers TB

Well then- thank you guys for jumping in and offering the help! I will do my bestest to be on the constructive end of it and refrain from sharing too much of my pain!! Hah!

All the advice is well recieved, I am happily obliged.

Ted, I have moved to the WDM driver, and haven’t again experienced the problem I spoke (whined) of. Right as rain so far. And yep, I was just an hour ago deciding I’d make/print up some track sheets and start keeping actual records and notes of my moves and track settings. It will be a tome for sure.

Tom, I don’t know what the little Blue squares mean, except I do know that those fx were not loading into the session. More on this… but my music PC is just that- music- and not internet-able. So nothing really new has been added or modified. I still think it’s m’board and chipset. Pentium or AMD by the first of the year. 'Till then, I will deal as necessary with ‘encountering problems and having to close’!

Far as the IRQ, I’ve made sure not to do any sharing I could help (Tascam Optimixation Guide). I will look into the physical moving of those devices, but they may have already been dealt with, as I got a new hard-drive a while back, and I requested there be no sharing. Like in those fancy restaurants…

I have designs on a Delta 1010-LT for the next I/O idea. PCI!

Thank you all again for being interested in my small trouble! Allright, I’ll stick with it…

Hi Guys:
It’s good to see a fellow n-Track’er get up and Shake-the-Dust off… And Get-Going-Again.

As a lot of you know or are aware of… I’ve been trying to overcome issues on this P-111, I have…

Well, it’s progressing From-Bad-to-Worse… When I expirence these “Lock-UP” Issues… XP compiles a “Report” and sends the issue off to Micro-soft… A few moments later a digital message comes back and suggests options of how to fix the problems. this machine has… I am compiling these replies in a folder on the C Drive… It suggests a number of “Fixes” from replacing the Power Supply… Replacing the Ram… Replacing the Video Card… Replacing Corrupt and or out-dated drivers… and So-on-and-so-forth…

Well, I am no Computer Wizz and I can barely figure out work-arounds for things that don’t work as I think they should or find a way to configuer things that I’d like to work the way that is best for the Set-Up I have…

However, I did replace the power supply and I’m in the process of up-grading the Graphics Card and The Ram and all…

This weekend I found a Matrox G-450 graphics Card to replace the ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro card… I thought I was doing alright, till I installed the card and found out it didn’t produce any video of any kind… It may be faulty, or something… We’ll see, and mabey take it back to the guy I got it from… and work out some kind of a deal… We’ll see…

However… again… That is just the start of the issue this machine has, now…

Micro-Soft and XP are now asking me to re-authorize the Operating System by Going On - Line and requesting that a NEW SET of KEYS be installed to get the O/S to show a DESK…

Does anyone up here have any advise to offer me, on this matter? Has this happened to any of you? How should I proceed to make this right? What is the correct option for me to FIX this issue?

A Screen comes up saying that this computer has had the Hardware changed to a point that this Operating System would like me to confirm that it is the same machine that the original O/S was installed on…?? Or something to that effect… Well…

1- Do I go On-Line and complete this by Digital means?

2- Do I make the Phone call to India? and Fix it that way?

Does anyone out there have any advise to offer me, regarding this Issue?

Bill…

Call India on the phone and tell then what you did (yes they really are in India) . I’m not sure there is an online way to handle it. The number to call should be in there somewhere. They will give you new keys to enter - write 'em down and keep 'em in a safe place. It’s actually very easy and painless. I figured it would be a pain. I’ve had to do it a couple of times when I put a new motherboard and CPU in the machine and reinstalled the same machine a few times too many. Simply reactivating the same version of Windows more than a few times will cause it. I usually wait a few weeks after an install before activating.

Well, we’re not in Kansas anymore. :(

But it’s better than the dog chewing up 1800 feet of tape! :D

Hi phoo:
Thanks for your reply…

Somehow, I knew I would get the advise, I needed… I called India and talked to Rickie… Well… It doesn’t matter… Rickie, is good enough… I think it was, Nelson… :p

I explained to him that I have issues with this machine and that I’m working on trying to clear the cob-webs… He knew… I think he has seen the log reports that have been made by this machine when it “Hangs”… And… He knows exactly the Hardware config’ that is in this machine… from the log reports that has been send on-line by this box… I stand corrected on what I’m saying but , I heard several voices (in the backround) over the telephone conversation… as he was feeding the numbers to me.

I coppied them down as he was generating the Key Code to me… There was 9 nine series of 6 six #'s… But he only gave me 7 seven series of 6 six #'s back…

Now… If I were a math expert, I would say I have only 2 two more chances remaining to activate this XP install… How SMART am I???? not very smart.

He needed an ID Code from me… that I couldn’t give him till I rebooted my machine… while I was on-line… Then He generated a code key for me from that series of numbers… I gave him nine series and he gave me seven series. That leaves two series… remaining…

Comming back to the backround voices… They were all laughing at something… Who Knows?? It made me quite paranoide… :p ??? :laugh:

However, I’m glad my machine is Back-Up-and-Running…

Thank you phoo, for the advise and prompt, to call India again for the third-or-fourth time . I don’t seem to remember how many times it has been with all the issues this XP Disk has given me, sense I’ve had it.

Bill… .

Quote (woxnerw @ Oct. 23 2005,20:31)
Comming back to the backround voices.. They were all laughing at something.. Who Knows?? It made me quite paranoide.. :p ??? :laugh:

Bill.. .

Hey, Bill,

If those guys made you feel wierd, go rent one of those Peter Sellers movies ("The Party") where he's imitating an Indian guy. Pretty funny, and it's like thinking about your adversary in his underwear! :laugh:

Anyway, glad they got you back together. :cool:

Hi Sloom:
Peter Sellers did some great movies, over the years… What great acting he did, in some classic movies… I think I know the movie your’re refering to…

I’m pretty sure that one of the issues I have with this machine is, one of the Raid drives, on the Promise-T Card is intermitant and shutting down after the machine boots, or at “Boot-Time”, the drives “Post” intermittantlly causeing the machine’s Operating System to Not Report all the Drives that are connected to the MainBoard… or something like that… Well…

I’m continuing to work on this machine’s issues…

Bill…

Hey Bill,

I have a friend who builds PC’s, he built mine. Now, I have some issues with mine, like the fact it’s not optimal for audio! But he does generally know the PC field, and I’ve learned that although they are very configurable, they are plagued with issues. For all the mixing-and-matching you can do with hardware, you can get into real trouble with it all. All the different manufacturers and after-market stuff… gets crazy.

The one thing I do like about the Mac idea is that it’s all proprietary. Every component knows all the other components, and they all understand each other. But you pay for that! What’s nice about the PC idea is that if you know what you’re after and you stick to your guns, you can do right well with a customized PC. I’m finding that less is more, and am narrowing down what I want to actually do on the thing. One or two apps, and stability from my machine. No internet, no extras. This is, however, coming from a guy with a chipset/motherboard issue…

Hi Sloom:
Thanks for your reply and your concerns and all with the issues I have (with this machine) and the combinations of hardware and software with P-111’s and P-4’s, and the way I have them loaded…

It was earlier in the year, mabey, july, or so, that I jumped in, with both feet, with XP, as an Operating System. I’m discovering there is a whole new set of issues that I have to tollerate, sense I’ve began to use XP, as a Desk…

I have a P-4 Intel XP/'98SE 1.7mhz Processor, set-up in the studio, along with a P-111 Intel 800mhz '98SE that I have little or no issues, with, as a result of not loading anything on them until I get pretty comfortable with navigating with the combinations of Hardware and Software on this “Loaded-Up” / “Knock-Around” P-111 Intel 1.2 mhz that I’m haveing all the trouble with…

In spite of my Computer knowledge/handicap, I’m learning from all you guys up here and anywhere else I can “Glean” computer insight/knowkedge as to how to fix and workaround the shortcommings of all these hardware and software combinations…

I began to understand all this DAW/Stuff back in n-Track Bata times… and I’m still struggling with all this… {I realize my computer knowledge ain’t so good} I guess I’m more technically motivated by all this more-so than I am creativally inclined… But my creativity is is beginning to peak and I’d like to get busy this winter and manufactuer some music… But I want to be 99% sure that all this stuff is gonna work 100% of the time, so I don’t have to think about the technical aspects of makeing music…

I could very well regress back to the Tascam 38 machine , I have, but after already being there I find that is a “Back Burnner” Option…

If I could only make all this Computer Stuff work, like I know it has the ability to, I would be a nice , happy and contented, musician…

I hope to continue lurking around this board and picking up bits-and-pieces of information, and from time-to-time adding my .02 into topics that I have an interest, in…

I’ll say it again… There’s some pretty clever guys hanging around this Board… and I like the community, as it comes-and-goes, from here…

Bill…

Dig it. It’s a good forum, and a fine collection of folks all helping each other realize their potential- that’s as great as it gets, I think. I’m glad to be a part of it.

Far as your PC issues, and I know there are experts here, but have you gone over to kvraudio.com? They have a huge ‘geek’ contingency, and are generally well-disposed to helping out with hardware issues. Also Gearslutz.com- same.

It’s a shame, in this age of techie progress and pop-culture, to let something as simple as hardware configuration get you down. I know- I’m in the same boat- but it’s a money issue! The info and the goods are out there. I’ve decided to save up for a Spectral or something similar. Only needs to do one thing- music- and no upgrades are necessary if your system works right.

And- have you considered the reason you’re having trouble with the PIII may be the fact you’ve loaded it with programs that might share dll’s, or simply aren’t compatible with each other? Maybe you have Registry issues? Got a Registry Cleaner- though that can be a risky thing to fool with…

Anyway, dang, good luck! Me too…

P.S. I just got a Tascam 788, for the main house- kids playing piano, creative fits of my own- and it’s there for when I can’t cope with the PC or n-Track for the moment, and have to record something. It’s good to have a gadget like that lying around, so don’t lose the 38! Back-Burner status or not!