n-track/recording/music wiki?

I’ve posted this on both the main forum, and the anything else forum.

On the main forum, because that’s where it belongs; and on the anything else forum, because it might stay visible longer.

I see the same questions arising again and again, and I see the same answers laboriously typed out again and again.

Audiominds used to have (and probably still does) an FAQ and music info section, as do other audio sites. And they partially address the problem.

But the problem remains that a moderator or some other “power figure” has to Ok any contribution.

So, wouldn’t it be great to have a wiki on here? If Flavio had the time and space he could put it as part of fasoft, or if not, we could at least ask him to link to it.

All we need is web space with wiki software.

Then everybody can contribute. Anyone can edit contributions. And if someone adds crap, it only takes a click to revert to a previous sensible state.

WIki’s have been called the ultimate democracy, the ultimate method of sharing knowledge.

So, whatya think folks? :)

Great idea. Most of the discussion seems to be going on in the main forum and I have indeed added my voice to the throng.

Here’s a link to the thread in the main Forum:

Wiki Thread

Mark

What’s wiki? Sounds like some form of cooking. :)

Oh - wikipedia? ???

Tom, a wiki isn’t wikipedia, rather wikipedia is a wiki.

A wiki is like an HTML that anyone can edit.

Gotcha. :)

wiki: (n.) A collaborative Web site comprises the perpetual collective work of many authors. Similar to a blog in structure and logic, a wiki allows anyone to edit, delete or modify content that has been placed on the Web site using a browser interface, including the work of previous authors. In contrast, a blog, typically authored by an individual, does not allow visitors to change the original posted material, only add comments to the original content.
The term wiki refers to either the Web site or the software used to create the site.

Wiki wiki means “quick” in Hawaiian. The first wiki was created by Ward Cunnigham in 1995.

Eyup!

<!–QuoteBegin>

Wiki wiki means “quick” in Hawaiian

That explains why my Hawaiian girlfriend used to call me “Wiki wiki” :(

Steve
(sobbing noises off…)

That was probably “wakie wakie” Steve.

Was she an Arthur Askey fan?

:p

Could have been kinky: whacky whacky.

I think a lot of the stuff about ntrack could be worked out if people read the manual.

Great idea… “Say, how come when I record a new track, it records the new stuff AND the previously recorded track?” :D

That one in particular has been asked and answered a gazillion times. Willy has it right too, the answer to that one IS in the manual/help file.

D

Perhaps we need to quit being so nice and get into the RTFM habits like other boards. Persoanlly I prefer to be nice about it and tell them… Read the manual, page 25, section 3.2 jsut to rub it in their face a bit.

The only thing I’m wondering about is what’s gonna keep that from becoming another ‘forumlike’ resource that scrolls over a couple of pages that no one wants to search.

Puts on Forest Gump voice
My mama told me that when I comment on a problem, I should try to give a solution as well
/gump

Here’s my question :
Isn’t it going to be slightly more usefull to have another section in this forum where we could pin threads that ended up answering FAQ’s ?

I mean - you have some newbie that asks a question like the double track record thing. Then you have an answer that’s either like Bubba’s, or you have someone that doe a search and then post a link to a previous thread about the same thing.

Then either of the two gets pinned (or just copied) to the ‘FAQ’ section.

It will not scroll out of control, but after a month or three of this you’d have covered most of the bases.

We only need to talk to Flavio about creating it, and agree on who is maintaining it. Flavio can even give 10 people access to copy/move threads over there at public demand…

How’s that sound ?

W.

Thanks an interesting idea Wihan. I’m not a great fan of forums that have the first page covered in sticky topics which you have to scroll through to get to the new posts… but a separate forum would alleviate that problem.

I’m sure we could find 5 or 10 of us that hang around here the most to look after it.

I have loads of posts which I’ve saved on my local drive that would be great (perhaps with some “tidying”) to have on the forum still.

Mark

<!–QuoteBegin>

Perhaps we need to quit being so nice and get into the RTFM habits like other boards. Persoanlly I prefer to be nice about it and tell them… Read the manual, page 25, section 3.2 jsut to rub it in their face a bit.

I can see the wiki being exactly the same. 90% of people don’t want to search for it or work it out on their own. But, the same things keep popping up and are quite often answered on other boards and pages around the web. I love nerding about recording and mics and methods but we’ve gone over so many things so many times.

Things that keep popping up:

Splitting one wav into multiple tracks on a cd.
The “what you hear” feature.
Drum micing
ASIO vs WDM vs MME

Looks like someone’s going ahead with it anyways…

http://www.audiowiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Willy.