n-track slows and .sng file is "lost"

Hi,

I’m just getting back into recording again after quite a break and I’m getting a strange problem on my first song.

At present I just have 4 tracks. Two audio files and two midi tracks. The midi tracks are playing drums through Linplugs RMlll and bass through Muon’s DS-404.

It all seems to work fine until I come to exit n-track. Then the program starts responding slowly and strangely but eventually it will close.

However, when I start it up again, the .sng file has disappeared and been replaced by a similar file called ntr1.tmp. This new file can be loaded (in spite of a message to the contrary) but then the plugins start misbehaving eg playing at the wrong volume for no apparent reason.

Any ideas?

I’m using n-track v4.2 with a windows Vista pc with the Sigma Tel sound that it came with while I wait for M-Audio to update the audiophile delta 24/96 drivers for my sound card.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike Floutier:
You are one of few n-Track users that have Vista installed as your operating system… You may be in a unique position also that you are using n-Track v4.2

It’s very unlikely that Flavio supports any builds in v4.2 anymore… If you haven’t already, I would suggest that you download the latest build and try it on your setup… to see if any of those issues re-appear…

Now, these are only suggestions… as I’m not anywhere near the experience that other users might have with the issues you post here…

If you don’t have the reg. codes (for v5.xxx) you will be operating n-Track in the Demo mode…

There should be a later version called v4.2.1 that you can run with the reg. codes you have… I’m not sure of the build number… but I’ll check… It’s gonna be a build later than 2097… It was in beta at v4.2.1 build 2097 (or… just after that build)… Check the version/build you have installed… The issues you have now may very well be gone in build 2097… Anyway, the codes you have will work … up-to-and-including v4.2.1 and build 2097…

Maybe, someone else will reply with a better option/alternative for you the try…

Bill…

Final version of 4 is build 2099 I think.
You can find it here.

Older Downloads

Yes, I have build 2099.

I guess in the absence of any other ideas I should perhaps try v5; is it considered better than v4?

THanks

Mike

Mike, haven’t up-graded here yet. Still having soundcard issues here. Vista beta drivers aarrggggg!

V4 works here, just having problems with VST plug-ins (N-Tracks and others) crashing n-track. So the problem could be in the VSTi. Maybe someone else will have thoughts.

Hi Mike and Yaz:
You two should have lots of notes to compare…

Many of you would argue that some versions-and-builds work better that other builds on the computers and setups you have… AND… they could very well do… For me and ever sense the early days of builds of v2.xxx I’ve just downloaded and installed the latest builds as Flavio posted them… If something didn’t work or it was thought to be a “Bug” I just read the threads and sent Flavio some mail and he would either post a “Repair” or a “Build” update… Or, someone would post a “Fix” or work around to an issue…

It’s my opinion… and… of course, sense then I’ve always thought that installing the latest builds I would have an above average chance of having a better working n-Track… as that is the current builds that Flavio is working on…

As-It-Went… a lot of the users wanted a drummer that would work with n-Track so, Flavio complied and installed a working drummer with0in n-Track… Hence, the large “File-Download” But… as far as I know, that (the Drummer) doesn’t hinder the performance of n-Track when the Drummer is not in use… In fact… most if-not-all of n-Track’s features can be configured not to run in the background when n-Track is launched…

Coming back to the two-of-you…

You are in a rare group of n-Track users with your set-ups… Or… it seems…

I’d be comparing behaviour notes (between yourselves) and sending mail off to Flavio and or sending .dmp files if-and-when your computers crash (Blue Screens) when using n-Track…

But… you got to be using the latest builds… if you’re looking for Flavio’s attention…

Bill…

Thanks Bill, that all makes sense.

I guess since I always use RMlll to play drum samples I’d be better off using the n-track drummer as that would rule out any chance of incompatibility regarding the drummer.

Mike

Ps One thing I don’t understand however - what on earth is WOXNERW? - if you don’t mind me asking.

Hi Mike:
I’m not in 100% agreement with that idea… You know and I think it’s not what you use to get to the end of the project… It what you get used to using that’ll get you there… I played with that drummer till I got tired… It didn’t make any difference… I still couldn’t make it work… Someone up here said the “Help Files” make it easy to use… I guess that’s what I should do if I wantta make the drummer work… Who knows… I just might get that drummer up-and-running… I’m the worst one for readin directions… If ya can’t make it work outta the box… try something else…

woxnerw used to be my domain name and the one I used, till it got Hi-Jacked…

http://www.woxnerw.com

[EDIT]

If you “Google” on woxnerw you’ll see my footprints up-and-down the Internet… I guess being in “Public View”, makes you vulnerable to hi-Jacking…

Well, I upgraded to v5 as you suggested Bill and the problem has gone away.

Thanks!

Mike

Hi Mike:
That’s nice to hear… REALLY…

I learned that from Flavio… a number of years ago… I was so frightened to update from … if I can remember, … build 1188… I’m not sure… and then it was build 1516… and I know, there were other builds… I can remember, at one time I would only install/update when Flavio posted “Even” numbered builds… I would never install “Odd” numbered builds…

Do you know how dedicated Flavio … is?

Bill…

The later builds contain all the “Repairs-and-Fixes” of the previous builds…