N-Track Version 4.2 and Windows XP

discussion of problems/fixes w/ XP

Has anyone else had this problem? I downloaded the new 4.2 version of N-Track, and each time I boot up the program, my audio drivers get wiped out.

I am using a Dell LapTop with XP.

I had a feeling I shouldn’t have deleted my old version of N-Track before I installed the new one, but I was confident. Perhaps over confident.

I’m about to pull out my hair because I am in the middle of an important project for a client and I can’t complete it under the current situation.

I give myself credit for having figured out the problem but I am at wit’s end. Can anyone help?

well, what exactly is happening? what do you mean the drivers are “wiped” out?

I have had NO problems with XP sp2.

I have heard of people having problems with Dell and the OEM drivers they supply.

There is nothing I can think of in the N-Track installer or application which would do anything to your installed drivers.

It just finds what you have and allows you to select the driver options you want.

Curt

What happened is after installing and booting up the program the first time, my sound no longer worked. After troubleshooting for a day and discovering that the driver that controls the screen going into sleep mode no longer worked, (missing driver the error message said) I decided to try and reinstall all drivers.

I was thrilled, thinking I had gotten everything to work again after reinstalling the SigmaTel drivers.

Everything was cool after that UNTIL I booted N-Track again to see if that program worked and played sound. I loaded a song I’ve been working on, and suddenly the sound no longer worked again. This is why I am inclined to believe the problem is related to this new version of N-Track.

I also discovered that apparently the sound drivers need to be reloaded each time I turn the computer back on. I discovered this as I turned my laptop back on this evening and the sound no longer worked again.

And BTW, I have the service pack 2 in XP, which I may have to redownload since I’m using the service pack one disks to reinstall drivers, but I hesitate to do too much until I find out what is going on.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

I actually got N-Track and sound to work this morrning. I haven’t rebooted, and that will be one another test for the fix). Besides reloading the drivers to the Dell driver default folder location (c:/dell/drivers/), I added the driver to the C:/programs/drivers/audio folder and I was able to play. Could this problem have come from N-Track looking for the drivers in this other, more logical, location?

I know I need to get a better sound card and a bigger better faster computer but this is what I have. I’ll get this dang project out if I have to cobble the thing together with rubber bands and spit.

no sound on reboot. It’s been about 4 days since I left a message with n-track support. No reply yet. Is this indicative of their level of support?

no sound on reboot.

This would suggest a problem with your computer rather than N-track. N-track only uses the drivers that Windows tells it about. If Windows loses the drivers on reboot then something else is wrong.

HTH

Mark

well, I’m not sure what to do. Updating NTrack seemed to percipitate the change in my system.

I also notice the new version of NTrack takes up a lot more processor headroom.

Is there any way to get the older version of N-Track back? In my bravado, I didn’t think I would have to revert.

Everything was cool after that UNTIL I booted N-Track again to see if that program worked and played sound

Hi Romancito. This is a little strange, and can be a bad coincidence. n-Track writes his own files to the folder you choose, writes the registry, maybe some system dlls, but it dont touch your sound drivers. It dont install any kind of "service" that run on every startup..

Are you sure you dont have any viruse or spyware running?

yeah. I’ve checked all that. I run behind a tight firewall and I detect and delete spyware on a regular basis.

Oddly enough, another sound person on another forum I’m a member of had the same problem (disappearing or disabled drivers on reboot)-- though he is not an NTrack user.

I don’t know what I can do except back up my system and I am considering upgrading to XP Pro instead of XP Home. My research tells me XP Pro is much more stable.

I’m also considering just packing in this old (2 yrs) Dell and upgrading to something with a little more headroom, since I clearly am going to need more processing room with this new version.

I’m inclined to believe it’s not n-track, but I don’t have any suggestions for you.

have you tried searching online for this disappearing audio driver problem? try typing in a question about it online. I think you’ll be surprised how many other users might have the problem. then just look in the links till you find the answer.

I have spent some time researching the problem online. Right now I have no answers, but thanks for your interest.

I don’t think you’ll gain stability by upgrading to XP pro, that’s unnecessary in your situation. I’m guessing that your system might be cluttered under the load of much installed software, this is very common I think… What I recommend is to do a complete rework on your system. Format your hard disk, make two partitions, and install XP on both of them. Then configure the first one to use web and all the other programs you like to use but disturb the audio processing. Then configure the second to be your DAW-os: don’t install SP2, strip unnecessary graphics and extra ‘cream’ (with XPlite for example) and services (you need to make some research on this, www.kvr-vst.com. it will really save you some memory but needs some expertise, since you can also damage your OS here… ). It’ll take lots of time (and hd space too, unfortunately) but it’s really worth it. The result is that you’r daw partition has extra memory for you to use without unnecessary web etc. god-knows-what services hogging it, and software works better etc.
This way you can also experiment with different programs without cluttering your DAW, installed programs don’t always leave the system completely. Perhaps I’ve preached anough about this… :)

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response.

Though I understand what you’re talking about doing, I don’t think I better try anything like that. Because I use this same lap top for my web marketing and HTML work, it’s not practical because of the size of some of the graphics files I have to deal with (I do a little pre-print, too).

It’s clear that if I want to get into recording any deeper than I am, I’m going to have to consider a dedicated system – something I just can’t do right now.

My employer is a different story, however. I never received an answer from NTrack support or my question – filed the same time I began posting here. Because of that, when the design studio was shopping for audio software (we’re getting into creating interactive DVDs for the tourism and economic development business), I had to recommend a different program.

We’re putting together a whole audio/video workstation, but we’re dealing with clients and when we ask for help, we need to get it – even if it may seem like we don’t know what we’re talking about.

I appreciate discovering I can make sound recordings myself without having to depend on audio engineers or other musicians. I’m thankful to N-track for that.

What package did you end up going with? I’ve gotten frustrated with the support of nt also lately, and I’m looking around for a low-cost well-supported multi-tracking package with both MIDI and audio tracking with a nice piano roll and tempo map capability. Where oh where can the JOY be found? ???

We may end up on a Mac platform because that is what all the designers use here in the studio. I have to be on Windows because most of the web marketing software I use only comes in that flavor.

So far, GarageBand is looking good.

Looking for Joy as well!

Quote (Scythe @ Dec. 02 2004,16:41)
I don't think you'll gain stability by upgrading to XP pro, that's unnecessary in your situation. I'm guessing that your system might be cluttered under the load of much installed software, this is very common I think... What I recommend is to do a complete rework on your system. Format your hard disk, make two partitions, and install XP on both of them. Then configure the first one to use web and all the other programs you like to use but disturb the audio processing. Then configure the second to be your DAW-os: don't install SP2, strip unnecessary graphics and extra 'cream' (with XPlite for example) and services (you need to make some research on this, www.kvr-vst.com. it will really save you some memory but needs some expertise, since you can also damage your OS here... ). It'll take lots of time (and hd space too, unfortunately) but it's really worth it. The result is that you'r daw partition has extra memory for you to use without unnecessary web etc. god-knows-what services hogging it, and software works better etc.
This way you can also experiment with different programs without cluttering your DAW, installed programs don't always leave the system completely. Perhaps I've preached anough about this... :)

Err, too much work (though probably what you want to do if you have a dedicated machine.). Try MusicXp for some potential quick fixes. As for Home vs Pro, no need to upgrade. The only things you gain with XP Pro is the ability to join an Active Directory domain, have 10 SMB users connected to your machine vs 5 in Home, and some other network stuff. Past that, is is the same OS when you look at the guts of it. If anything, you get less stuff to muck up your machine running Home.

XP has a system restore feature, explained a little here…

System Restore

This may be of some use if you’re drivers have gone strange.
What kind of sound card is it? Built in or external?

System Restore is good…when it works (some softwares you must re-install anyway). .Be aware that system restore can also restore the virus that you has deleted previously