n-track VIDEO

How do you do it?

I’d like to make a video to go with a song I’ve recorded in n-track. I’d use my digital camera to record the video but I’m a little unsure (well very unsure actually!) how to get both the video and the audio onto one file.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Hey Mike,

Since the song is a done deal here, it sounds like this is a job for a video editing program. The video editing program will do the job of joining the audio and video together [edit: after you’ve mixed the song down to a wav file, that is.]. BTW, which one will you be using? Typically, video editing software will have a timeline with separate video and audio tracks so you can view them side-by-side and synchronize them. In this case, you would likely first import your song into the audio track, then import all the video clips you want to use into the video track. For a music video, the song just plays from beginning to end, so all your editing will probably consist of shifting the video clips around to occur in sync with the music, adding fades or other visual effects as desired.

After it’s all done, you simply export the whole project into MPEG2 for DVD, AVI, WMV, or one of several other video formats supported by the video software.

Well, hope there was something here you may not have already known; I’m just scratching the surface here…

Tony

What movie making porgram gives you the most control over editing video? I’ve used windows movie maker and found that pretty userfriendly, but it can still be a little iffy at times around the edges. Or so it seemed to me.

Hi Tom,
I use Adobe Premiere with reasonable results but I had to expent 1 week playing with the tutorial before produce something “visible”. :D

I haven’t used anything that wasn’t either bundled with hardware or something else, or just free off the net (e.g. VirtualDub, etc.), and I can’t afford the higher-end Premiere stuff, but Premiere seems to be popular with “the pros”. That Premiere “Elements” looks pretty nice for $99, too. The ULead Video Studio 6 bundled with the capture card I got two years ago is decent, but seems sluggish, and I don’t like the MPEG2 encoding quality. Yeah, I’m rambling I guess…I don’t know what “gives you the most control over editing video”, but whatever it is, I imagine you’re going to pay big bucks to get it! :D

Tony

Hi Tom,

Premiere is a great program, but is pricey ($700) and has a steep learning curve. Adobe also has a program called Premiere Elements for much less ($99) that might suit your needs. I prefer to use Sony Vegas Movie Studio which also lists for $99, but you can find this many places for as little as $69. The Sony program is timeline based, provides tons of transitions , titling options and special effects. You can even do “Green screen” imaging. On top of it, it comes with DVD Architect software for authoring the DVD with professional intro screens and menus. It is a rock solid program with 3 video layers and 3 audio layers.

Good luck,

Mike

I bought Adobe Premiere Elements… It crashed whenever I tried to load an MPEG-2 file into it. The Adobe website even addresses this problem, but theri only solution was to re-install, which of course never worked. I tried it on both my laptop and desktop with the same results. Funny thing is that I could load the same files into the free software that came with my video-capture card and it worked just fine.

What ticks me off most about this sort of thing is the “No Refund” policy on software; it can be defective as all heck and you can’t get your money back.

My $.02, etc…

I also use Sony Vegas Studio with DVD Architect.

$99 at Best Buy, etc. Great program and I have been converting all of my home videos over to DVD with it with ZERO problems. You can’t beat it for the money…

ThMakako, Thanks.
Ya I know what you mean. I have this lady friend who (after I told her that I was looking at Quicktime pro, she loves it) said, that’s where all the fun is, in leanding new programs. I said no way, I wan’t to get into developing the videos, that’s where the fun is! It is worth it after you learn them though!

Hi Tony,
I like Ulead and recently installed their DVD player and thought it was pretty nice but the InterVideo Player upgrade was so cool I went with that. I would like to have a capture card that would allow me to run multiple web cams. For low budgett M/vids.

Mike! Thanks for the detail on Sony Vegas, sounds like a winner!

Tex? Thanks for the pointer!

Hi Tim, Sony Vegas Studio with DVD Architect, got it!

Thanks guy’s I’ll take a look at it this weekend!
Soundclick.com has an inhanced mp3 creater that I thought was a little buggy but also pretty cool. I like the idea and expected the music world to go more in that direction. Anyone have a music vid?

I’ve had good results from Pinnacle Studio, very easy to use and fairly powerful. Check it out here. Editing old analogue video wasn’t much fun as the program was unstable, but with DV it’s a cinch. Cheap too if you already have a firewire port and only need the DV editing software - 70 quid or 100 bucks. I agree with Tom that the Windows Movie Maker XP freebie works OK if you only need basic video editing. As with audio recording, use a separate hard disk or partition for the video files and allow plenty of spare space.
Cheers
TusterBuster

Thanks Guys,

Lots of useful info here.

I tried Windows Moviemaker but it doesn’t recognise my .MOV video files. Any idea if another freebie would or if I can convert the .MOV files to another format.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Guys,

Sounds like a lot of you have more recent experience with this stuff than I do, so I am going to venture a question. Do any of these programs sync properly (I am hopefully talking about 100% solid over a long video or something close) with N? I am looking for a solution where I retain the freedom to edit both audio and video on the fly without having to lock either one in until the end.

I am finding that some projects are “audio for video”, others are “video for audio” and still others are “audio and video” depending on the orientation of the people I am working with.

I know that I will likely encounter CPU/system issues that may require workarounds such as removing effects, freezing tracks, temporarily rendering or using two machines connected by hardware interfaces.

Depending on what is available and the associated costs, I may or may not be able to do this in the near future but I am #### interested. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
TrackGrrrl

Hi TrackGrrrl. I have been using the Sony Program (Vegas Studio and DVD Architect) for a few years. I have never had any problems with syncing audio and video. I use the program to make concert videos that I have recorded with two cameras. I just import both video/audio tracks and sync up the audio so that all the video is insync. Then I remove one audio track and cut and edit the video. I end up with a perfectly synced video everytime. I should add that these videos are often 2 hours in length.

As far as system issues, there really should not be any problems. I have used the same software on 6 different machines (even laptops) and they all worked great. Keep in mind that these machines were all AMD based machines. I cannot speak for Intel based machines, but they should work well on those too.

Take care,

Mike

I’ve got a video quesiton for you guys consirning my computers dvd player. I only have one dvd, Shania Twains; “Up Close And Personal” (great!) but recently I’m getting a real wavy sound, the video is still fine but the music isn’t. It just started doing this, and I can think of no other installation coinciding with the problem.
Any Ideas on what might be cuasing this? :D I’ll just hang up and listen!

I’ve used Adobe Premiere as well. I used to do a community access TV show and used Adobe Premiere to edit the show. It worked fine for all my needs. I don’t think I spent $700 on it but that was a few years ago. The TV shows were a half hour long. One note though… every so often the sound would fall out of sync with the video at about 20 minutes into the show. It wasn’t too bad and since I was doing community access television the stakes weren’t too high and I let it go. But if I were doing something where I needed it to work flawlessly every time I might have some concerns. But I will say this, if you can handle sound recording software then Adobe Premiere will be very intuitive and you’ll do fine.

Hugh

I’ve used the demo of RiverPast Video Cleaner to convert MOV to WMV format. It seems pretty good and did fine for my purposes. The paid for version is pretty cheap compared to other apps. The demo leaves the RiverPast emblem but is very functional.

http://www.riverpast.com/

I haven’t tried their other apps.

Any questions you have about video software on the computer, you should got to this site to check out Videohelp.com.

Great site with practically all the answers.

Mike

For a freeware video editor with a lot of bells and whistles check out

www.thugsatbay.com/zweistein/

Version 4 is on the horizon, currently in alpha. But available.
Seems to have a cult following, much like n

pOd