Need a quick listen on guitar solo lvls....

All:

I need a favor. Can you listen here and see if the guitar solo that comes in at 3:32 is too hot in your opinion…

BTW, this is a song that you all have made suggestions to already, but I was never happy with the way the guitar solo came in, so in lieu of adding a longer break before the solo starts, I decided to “crank up” the volume…

I may have overdone it…

Any Thoughts?

BTW, I also cleaned up the ending…

Jonathan

Tried to listen but no song at link.

Sounds about right on my headphones. Is it panned to the right a bit, or is that my ears?

Quote:

Is it panned to the right a bit, or is that my ears?

Yep it's panned 80% to the right channel.....

Hm. I’d put it dead center. But that, of course, is the usual thing to do. I wonder…if you are panning it for aesthetic reasons, what would happen if you panned it all the way over? When I hear guitars panned like this, I always think it changes the experience in a way that sort of says “over here, hey!” - it “decenters” not just literally but figuratively, like the guitar is calling from somewhere apart from the band. There’s a sort of philosophical meaning to it for me. That make any sense?

Quote:

When I hear guitars panned like this (eg: lead guitar at 80 to the right channel, etc.), I always think it changes the experience in a way that sort of says "over here, hey!" - it "decenters" not just literally but figuratively, like the guitar is calling from somewhere apart from the band.

TomS - as always good points.
That said, this creates an interesting platform for discussion.

The way I was looking at the panning from a mixing standpoint is that the guitar playing in the right channel guitar is the lead guitar throughout the whole song.
The guitar in the left channel is the rhythm guy (in my 1 man band - as I'm playing all the instruments - except the drums).
Anway, when the solo comes up, the panning would be unchanged in my way of thinking because the lead guy is playing in the right channel the whole time......

Do you guys do it differently?

Maybe a little hot on the solo, drums sound like there in the closet and the rest of the bands in the room.

One ? about the drums since I don’t use n drums, do you mix down individual waves of the drums, snare kick hihat toms cymbals? or is it a kit all in one stereo tracK?

Quote:

Maybe a little hot on the solo, drums sound like there in the closet and the rest of the bands in the room.

I've been out of town for the weekend, and came back to listen w/ rested ears, and the guitar is a bit too hot....

As to the drums in the closet, are you saying that they're not loud enough - or that they're muffled?

Quote:

About the drums since I don't use n drums, do you mix down individual waves of the drums, snare kick hihat toms cymbals? or is it a kit all in one stereo tracK?

I'm not exactly sure how they work.
They are wave files, and they can be separated into 5 distinct channels.
I usually set the channels up as follows:
Synth 1 through Synth 5 - so you have 5 channels to control them with.
They default to running out of 1 channel.....

The question I have about them is about the eq.
Have the samples been eq'd already, or do I need to do it myself.
It seems like the more I play with them, the worse they sound.....

So you have a stereo wave in the end on the drums?

Then you’ll have to eq some from the app. Hard to eq a mixed set of drums, to much to bring out, one thing will ruin another, snare vs kick vs cymbals. i run Proteus X now, got away from the drum machine hardware. Have 16 channels to mix down to waves, makes eq easier.