need a refresh on my basic connections

hey all,

i have been a N-track user for 3 or 4 years now and i will not mess with it for months at a time. that’s why i’m asking this again.

i have a Berry MX802A mixer running into a Audiophile 24/96 card using the latest N-track 4.0. ok, i have the 2 track outs on the mixer to my soundcard in’s! (left to left,right to right)

also have the 2 track in’s on the mixer patched from the sound card outs.

i play simple vocals/guitar to record. mic on channel 1 and guitar on channel 2 of the mixer. i can record on 2 N-track but i get no seperation for the guitar. i hear vocals on this track.

so please, here is my question: How do i totally seperate the vocals and guitar? Pan?

i know this is basic and dumb for most but i want a “definitive” way of doing this everytime. this is the basic way i record with a few overdubs.

anybody? thanks again—long time no see! :;): jw

You are on the right track - yes, panning guitar and vocal hard left/right will give you the separation you need - provided you record them acoustically isolated from each other in the first place, of course…

This is probably the single most common reason why I have had to do a track over again back in the days when I used a Fostex 480 Multitracker - it, too, allowed to record on two tracks at a time, and the separation was done by panning the sources hard left and right. For some obscure reason this was the only part of the procedure I had a really hard time remembering from time to time, but eventually I got the hang of it.

regards, Nils

I have a audiophile 24/96 card and the berry 602A, which is the same as yours just a year older model, as per berry the basic hook up is line out on the card to tape in on the berry, then aux send on the berry to line in on the card, then depress the to mix button and you can record and hear the new track and the existing mix in the headphone jack on the berry without resending the mix to the new track

thanks for the replies. will try, sorry bout the slow response my DSL is being worked on. will report back… jw :)

Quote (Nils K @ Jan. 29 2005,17:17)
You are on the right track - yes, panning guitar and vocal hard left/right will give you the separation you need - provided you record them acoustically isolated from each other in the first place, of course...

regards, Nils

thanks nils, i am "lining in" the guitar so it's "not" being miked. do i still pan to hear the guitar? not miking it and all? :cool: