Need to record 4 tracks at once

Without breaking the bank

Greetings. I’ve been recording through a M-Audio duo for 5 years.
Two channels has sufficed until now.

I’m in a duo now and we want to recrod a CD. I need the abilty to record 4 channels simultanmeously, into 4 seperate tracks on n-track.

Can you recommend a reasonably digital interface?
I have USB 2.o, but I’m not opposed to getting a firewire or PCI card if I have to.

Thanks!
David
www.davidberchtold.com

Well shoot, I can’t edit my post now.

Actually, what I really need is to know how to tell how many tracks the D-A interface will record at once.
If it says 10 in / 4 out, does that mean that you can plug 10 things in and it will record four seperate tracks on n-track? I assume you can choose which of the 4 outputs each intput wll go to…

It’s confusing to me becuase I’ll see a picture of something with two channesl (two inputs each capable of 1/4 and XLR) and it will say “4 in” - doesnt’ make sense. Theres no way you could plug 4 things in at once…

Like I said, I managed to learn how to record two channels from my M-Audio Duo.
Beyond that, I"m pretty much starting over. There is so much stuff out there, and I’m not sure what most of it is capable of.
Lots of new terminology, etc.

Thanks,
David
www.davidberchtold.com

Hey

I have the Delta 1010LT and it works great. It has 8 inputs that can be used simultaneously (4 more than you need) and the other 2 are digital - I don’t know if they can be used at the same time as the analog or not…

Anyway, it’s only a couple hundred bucks, so you can’t beat the price.

Usually when they advertise 10 in/4 out, it means 8 analog in, 2 digital in, etc. You really have to look at the specifications for each unit.

I use the M-audio Firewire interface and it records several inputs at once.

I bought it for $75 on ebay.

I would be interested in hearing what type of options the duo gives you in it’s window?
In the Firewire interface I have a few choices, I can record from analog in, spdif in, midi in.
I have recorded two stereo tracks at once simultaneously which leads me to wonder about what you are trying to do.
If I was to split the 2 stereo tracks up into 4 mono tracks I could record 4 separate instruments at once, as 4 mono tracks.
I have a decent mixing board (Soundcraft) with more than enough inputs to pull it off.
I would simply pan one instrument left, one right, on channel one, and like wise on channel two.
That would be a low budget way to record 4 things at once possibly with the set up you already have.

Honestly I am new to the latest build of Ntrack so I don’t know how it was recording two stereo tracks at once when I first set it up or what I did to make it only record one now. (I think I disabled one of the Asio devices inside of the M-audio interface.)
I am almost certain that if I would enable the other inputs (like the spdif it would go back to recording two stereo tracks at once again.)
I could than use a device (like the J-station for guitars) that has a spdif output and utilize that input on the interface.

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

The m-audio Delta 44 (4 analog inputs) and the delta 66 (4 analog inputs and stereo digital input)
are good stable cards, and cheap.

Nick

If you’re on Vista make SURE there are good Vista drivers for whatever you choose.

Wow, thanks for tall the replies!

Tempus: Delta 1010LT looks cool. How long are those cables? No way I’m going bend over to work in the dark dusty dirty corner behind my PC every time I plug something in. So, every input on that thing will record to a separate track in n-Track? Just looked at the manual, and it looks like there aren’t any 1/4" inputs, and only two XLR inputs. The RCA and digital inputs I probably won’t use. That translates to “two inputs” for me. I need four. I’m I missing something?

Jerm: What (m-audio duo) window? I plug guitar into one input and mic into the other on my Duo, and it records two tracks in n-track. Not sure what you are asking. The only M-audio firewire I could find looks like it just has two inputs. Which model are you using? I don’t want to combine inputs. I want every input to create a separate track, so I can work with each track later when mixing. I don’t have a clue what spdif or midi are and don’t really want to learn unless I have to. I’m over 50, learn slow, and fear change! :)

Nick: The Delta 44 and 66 only have 1/4" inputs. Where do I plug in the mic (XLR)? Does it have phantom power for my condenser mics? What are the OUTs for? Doesn’t it go to n-track through the PCI card? My Duo has phone jack for overdubbing. How do you over-dub with the Delta 44?

Phoo: Still xp thank God!

Sorry for all the questions, but I need to learn enough to make an intelligent decision: Do I upgrade my hardware (and if so what do I get), or spend the money on studio time?

Thanks!
David

I just found something that looks like it will work. It’s the only thing I’ve seen with four real inputs (by real I mean 1/4" or XLR). I can plug two instruments and two mics in at once. A bit pricey though.

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra USB 2.0 Audio Interface

Anyone using this with n-track?

Quote:

Jerm: What (m-audio duo) window? I plug guitar into one input and mic into the other on my Duo, and it records two tracks in n-track. Not sure what you are asking. The only M-audio firewire I could find looks like it just has two inputs. Which model are you using? I don't want to combine inputs. I want every input to create a separate track, so I can work with each track later when mixing. I don't have a clue what spdif or midi are and don't really want to learn unless I have to. I'm over 50, learn slow, and fear change!

Jerm: What (m-audio duo) window?
I have an icon on my bottom bar on the desktop, if I click on it is shows and access panel of sorts (I call it a window, like a pop up window it looks like a red chevron which is the M-audio logo)
Everything that runs on Windows uses a window to designate it, it's like a square box with information inside of it.
I plug guitar into one input and mic into the other on my Duo,
That's why a suggest an external mixer.
You have two stereo inputs already going into the computer, all you need to do is isolate left and right on each one to a separate instrument by panning on the external mixer each instrument to it's respective channel.
You could theoretically send the microphone into one channel on a mixer, and pan it to the right, send your guitar into another channel on the mixer and pan it to the left then send that signal (mic on right guitar on left) to the USB interface via one of it's stereo inputs.
That would leave you at least one maybe two other stereo input on the USB device (the XLR and the 1/4 inch) to do the same with (left and right panning to utilize both sides for different instruments if necessary).
I don't want to combine inputs. I want every input to create a separate track, so I can work with each track later when mixing.
You say you are presently recording two stereo tracks in Ntrack with the device (and without an external mixer) so that tells me you can end up with 4 mono tracks all with different instruments on them simultaneously if the above method is used.

The only M-audio firewire I could find looks like it just has two inputs. Which model are you using?
M-audio FireWire Audiophile.

They don't make them anymore, hence the low price and high availability! lol :laugh:

I don't have a clue what spdif or midi are and don't really want to learn unless I have to.

Me either, but they came with the device and one of the days by golly I'm gonna plug something into them and see what happens! :agree:

I have a johnson J'station (which is an amp simulator)all the glory of an amp with none of the late night noise! and it has an S/pdif output on it....one of these days like I said the two are going to get it together and have a party!
Also I have a Casio keyboard laying around that has a midi out, I usually use the 1/4 inch out into a mixer, then into the rca ins on the M-audio, even tried to buy midi cables one time but got the wrong kind... :disagree:
But one of these days! that puppies gonna wag it tale too! lol
Silly me got a male to female midi chord, who knew there was two kinds! not me, apparently I need a female to female! woo hoo now that sounds like a party, but really its just technology creeping it's ugly head into and art form. ???

keep shinin'

Duo window: Ok, I know what you are taking about now. It just gives me a choice between ASIO and MME.

I don’t want to combine inputs. I want every input to create a separate track, so I can work with each track later when mixing.
You say you are presently recording two stereo tracks in Ntrack with the device (and without an external mixer) so that tell me you can end up wiuth 4 mono tracks all with different instruments on them simultaneously if the above method is used.

Sorry, the DUO does 1 stereo or two mono, not two stereo.

Hi, Delta 44 and 2 of these http://www.zzounds.com/item–THKMIMAB0

Delta 1010lt and 1 of them.

Or (my choice) Delta 44 or 1010lt and a small mixer to give you mic pre’s and monitoring flexibility. With the Delta 1010lt and a suitable mixer you could record eight Mics at once all onto seperate tracks.

The Delta outs are how you get the sound out of n-track to your monitoring speakers or headphones. To over dub you just go into record while listening to your previous tracks.

PCI cards tend to be less troublesome than USB or Firewire.

Quote:

How long are those cables?

Not long enough unfortunately. I do a fair amount of crawling to plug stuff in. There is a version of this card that comes with a rack mount breakout box (or you could make your own extension cables).

Quote:

So, every input on that thing will record to a separate track in n-Track?

Yes, essentially, and you get 8 or 10 separate meters in your record meter section to monitor.

Quote:

Just looked at the manual, and it looks like there aren't any 1/4" inputs, and only two XLR inputs.
The RCA and digital inputs I probably won't use.
That translates to "two inputs" for me. I need four. I'm I missing something?

Yes. The XLR ins are for mic level ins (they have mic preamps, but can also be set to line level). The remaining RCA jacks are line level inputs (6 analog) and 2 digital inputs. So you have a total of 8 analog inputs which you can record simultaneously.

I’m using the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra USB with nTrack running on top of Vista Ultimate and it works well for me.

After I’ve tuned my notebook for recording…

Shayne

Quote:

Yes. The XLR ins are for mic level ins (they have mic preamps, but can also be set to line level). The remaining RCA jacks are line level inputs (6 analog) and 2 digital inputs. So you have a total of 8 analog inputs which you can record simultaneously.

Tempus, I apologize for my ignorance in this matter. But I don't get it. I don't have any mics or instruments that plug into RCA. How do you use them to record guitars and vocals?
Quote: (dberch @ Mar. 17 2008, 10:02 PM)

Duo window: Ok, I know what you are taking about now. It just gives me a choice between ASIO and MME.

I don't want to combine inputs. I want every input to create a separate track, so I can work with each track later when mixing.
You say you are presently recording two stereo tracks in Ntrack with the device (and without an external mixer) so that tell me you can end up wiuth 4 mono tracks all with different instruments on them simultaneously if the above method is used.

I'm sorry d,

I am afraid we were talking about two different devices.

When you said "M-audio duo" in the OP I thought you were talking about this device:

Quote:

DUO

The Duo is a 2-in/2-out professional interface that records and plays back a maximum of 24-bit, 96 kHz resolution. In addition to having two line ins and outs, the Duo includes a pair of high-quality mic preamps that sport XLR inputs, switchable phantom power, independent 20 dB pads, and signal/clip LEDs (see Fig. 1).

In the unit's normal mode, the mic preamps or the line-level inputs are automatically routed to the digital-input section. However, by pressing a front-panel Stand Alone Mode button, the Duo also can be used as an independent mic preamp, without the need for a computer. Simply plug in the mics and then plug the box's line-level outputs in to any device input. In that mode, the Duo can also be used as a standalone 24-bit A/D converter by streaming the line or mic inputs through to its S/PDIF outputs at selectable rates of 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96 kHz. You can also configure the box as a handy standalone headphone-monitor amp; just plug a signal in to the line-ins and monitor through the headphone output. (In normal operating mode, the headphone jack monitors the output signal.)

The review I found on the device I was talking about says it had "a pair of XLR inputs"

XLR are stereo signals, they have a left and a right side EACH.
That is what led me to the conclusion that the device was capable of sending two stereo signals out at the same time.
Also this review said it has S/PDIF outputs......I also read another that said it had a line in (which I am assuming is 1/4 inch)

I don't think we are talking about the same device.

Could you be more specific about what device you have, a model number, or better description?
I know you say it only records two mono tracks at the same time, be we have no way of confirming that if we do not know what device you really have.
IT may do more, but you may just have it set up in Ntrack to do less.....that's why I ask.

keep shinin'

Hi Jerm. I think we are talking about the same device. :) This is from back when they had the Duo and the Quatro. They don’t make either any more and I could not find any pictures, so I shot a couple quick ones. It’s been a great audio interface. I just need to record four track simultaneously now instead of two.

M-Audio Duo Front:
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/111501

M-Audio Duo Back:
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/111500

I don’t understand your comment on XLR being stereo. It’s a mic input.

Hey, wait a minute… I may have just answered my own question. The Quatro gave you more inputs… maybe I can find a used one.

David

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Mar. 19 2008, 9:54 PM)

XLR are stereo signals, they have a left and a right side EACH.
That is what led me to the conclusion that the device was capable of sending two stereo signals out at the same time.

Sorry, that's not right. Generic XLRs are "balanced", not "stereo". Yes the signal arrives down the XLR on two pins but one is the inversion of the other to aid noise cancellation. One mono signal on two wires.

(I say "generic XLR" because I guess there's nothing stopping you wiring an XLR to transmit a L & R with common earth, but don't plug it into any standard equipment!)
Quote: (dberch @ Mar. 18 2008, 4:02 AM)

I come late to the party, but a mixer or couple of mic pres could be connected to the card of your choice always, thus not concerning yourself with the length of cables or the connection types.

Alternatively, as well as a mixer I have a cheap 1/4" patch bay connected up to my 8-in card. The patch bay is in my rack and means I can connect whatever source to whatever input without having to leave my chair.