Need your help - new keyboard purchase

Dear guys

i live at Chennai , India,I have a casio beginers keyboard, it has midi in/ out prot and a sustain port. 3 years old.

want to record tracks to learn midi and fx usages, have pc and DAW

i do not have midi usb cable, it costs about 4000 indian bucks.(at my place) but a new yamaha keybaord is about 17000 indian bucks(at my place)

Since my keybord is getting older and the third octave E key is not working properly i deciding to buy a new keyboard which is 17000 indian bucks (which comes with usb to usb prot and cable. )

i feel it is good to buy a new keyboard insted of speding 4000 bucks to midi usb prot.

But the new keyboard (Yamaha) has usb to usb port and cable only not midi in/out prots. the keyboards with usb and midi ports costs 30000 indian bucks and i am not in position to spend that much money at present.

Kindly advice if i buy the yamahs usb to usb keyboard will it satisfy all the midi recording requirements.

Kindly help me

Awaiting
:)

Which Yamaha is it? It’s odd that it doesn’t have midi ports as well as the USB connection.

Quote: (fixyjohn @ Nov. 05 2009, 11:43 PM)

Dear guys

i live at Chennai , India,I have a casio beginers keyboard, it has midi in/ out prot and a sustain port. 3 years old.

want to record tracks to learn
midi and fx usages, have pc and DAW

i do not have midi usb cable, it costs about 4000 indian bucks.(at my place) but a new yamaha keybaord is about 17000 indian bucks(at my place)

Since my keybord is getting older and the third octave E key is not working properly i deciding to buy a new keyboard which is 17000 indian bucks (which comes with usb to usb prot and cable. )

i feel it is good to buy a new keyboard insted of speding 4000 bucks to midi usb prot.

But the new keyboard (Yamaha) has usb to usb port and cable only not midi in/out prots. the keyboards with usb and midi ports costs 30000 indian bucks and i am not in position to spend that much money at present.

Kindly advice if i buy the yamahs usb to usb keyboard will it satisfy all the midi recording requirements.

Kindly help me

Awaiting
:)

Synths and keyboard controllers are moving away from the standard midi cables because USB is easier and more convenient to connect to modern audio interfaces and pc workstations. Most DAW software will recognize the USB connected midi as long as you have the correct drivers installed which are supplied with the keyboard. I have an M-Audio Keystation-Pro that only has USB for midi and it works great. I use it to control software synths such as NI Absynth, etc.

Moving away from the facilities side of things, I’d like to suggest that ‘playability’ should be a major factor in your choice.

I’m not a keyboard player, just a guitarist who uses a keyboard now and then.

I’ve had cheapo Casio’s and Yamaha’s over the years, but then I bought an M-Audio midi keyboard/controller.

It was awful! Five minutes of playing and my fingers ached like darn!

Then I got an Edirol PCR-M80. Cheap construction, it wouldn’t last five minutes gigging; but wonderfully smooth and easy to play, it was all I needed for home studio work.

Anyway, I don’t know what the current market situation is, but I’d strongly recommend going into stores and playing all the instruments you can find, and only buying one that “feels” good.

Quote: (TomS @ Nov. 06 2009, 8:28 AM)

Which Yamaha is it?
It's odd that it doesn't have midi ports as well as the USB connection.

the model is psr 413
Quote: (fixyjohn @ Nov. 07 2009, 1:10 AM)

Quote: (TomS @ Nov. 06 2009, 8:28 AM)

Which Yamaha is it?
It's odd that it doesn't have midi ports as well as the USB connection.

the model is psr 413

Hmm. why not just get a plain controller like the m-audio ones?
Quote: (EZee @ Nov. 06 2009, 3:42 PM)

Moving away from the facilities side of things, I'd like to suggest that 'playability' should be a major factor in your choice.

I'm not a keyboard player, just a guitarist who uses a keyboard now and then.

I've had cheapo Casio's and Yamaha's over the years, but then I bought an M-Audio midi keyboard/controller.

It was awful! Five minutes of playing and my fingers ached like darn!

Then I got an Edirol PCR-M80. Cheap construction, it wouldn't last five minutes gigging; but wonderfully smooth and easy to play, it was all I needed for home studio work.

Anyway, I don't know what the current market situation is, but I'd strongly recommend going into stores and playing all the instruments you can find, and only buying one that "feels" good.

The M-Audio Keystation-Pro has semi-weighted keys. The action is much better than those cheap plastic midi keyboard controllers. I use it with Grand Piano plugins and it's wonderful.