New acoustic rock song posted

It seems like this forum has lost its mojo recently… maybe everyone is on vacation at the beach. Except the spambots that plaster advertising all over the board. They don’t know how to swim.

Anyway I put up a new song this week if you want to listen. It’s a slow acoustic rock number based on blues changes. The birthing process was quite painful, since the song file became corrupted and I had to piece together and align the individual wave files from scratch. Oh joy. I always thought that pushing the “save” button would be sufficient - now I know better!

Enjoy the summer…

- JM

Teeth and Claws

Rihanna.
Here Rihanna mp3 download music

Loved it! Haunting sound, my kind of music! Good choice with build up of instruments to the full drums at the end!

Only mix critisium, would be more vocals!

Enjoyed it!

That’s great. I’d buy a CD of your stuff.

Tell us about recording the acoustic - the guitar, the mic, the preamp, effects (e.g., what reverb?)

Also, what’s the keyboard at the end? Nicely understated. You have a great sense for what fits, what’s appropriate.

Thanks so much…

I use a Martin DX-1 (ie. the semi-cheapie) acoustic. I don’t have a pickup, so I just record it from a single SM-57 mic aimed at the 12th fret. I then give a little compression and roll off below 200 Hz. There are two rhythm guitars (panned left/right) and a lead. In this case I added a fair amount of reverb to one rhythm and lead (SIR VST plugin) after recording.

The keyboard used the Lazysnake electric piano VSTi controlled by an Oxygen MIDI controller. This is a variation on a present that sounds a lot like the keyboard on “No Quarter” by Zeppelin. Just seemed to fit (although I had to re-do a couple of takes where I accidentally lapsed into No Quarter).

I often compress the overall mix, but this song seemed to want more dynamics, so I left off the final compression.

New guy here - I absolutely love the vibe of this song! I have to say that I’m completely envious of your vocal sound and ability, dangit. :)

Is there anything unusual in the vocal processing? It reminds just slightly of reverse reverb done really tastefully - has a really ethereal (and haunting, as was mentioned) quality to it. Really riveting stuff!

Thanks! The vocal uses a processor called Clone Ensemble, which is a multiplier (sort of “choir in a box”). It also gives it a sort of weird, ethereral quality. I split the vocal track and added the plugin on one half. There’s also a harmony part on the end of each verse.

Thanks! The vocal uses a processor called Clone Ensemble, which is a multiplier (sort of “choir in a box”). It also gives it a sort of weird, ethereral quality. I split the vocal track and added the plugin on one half. There’s also a harmony part on the end of each verse.

Thanks for the details. I’m gonna check out that plugin - not necessarily for me, as I unfortunately don’t have a good voice, and since I don’t think like a vocalist, I don’t do very well coming up with melodies. Who knows though - maybe that plugin can help bury “the real me” . :D

I was talking to a buddy about this song, trying to come up with what it calls to mind. So far the best I can do is that it reminds me of something that Jeff Buckley or Lindsay Buckingham might do, at least in terms of overall vibe. Of course, I mean that in a very good way!

Reminded me of early days of America when Dan Peek was still with the band. With of course the Zepp sound of no quarter. But still a very cool tune and I likes it! :cool:

Yeah, I guess I can see the America angle - I only know the handful of radio tunes, but I really like their overall sound. Even on what would be considered “upbeat” stuff, they still have a kind of wistful sound. And being that Zep is probably my favourite band, I can fully appreciate the NQ nod, even if jm was trying to avoid it. :)

A couple of tunes I had in mind where “Donkey Jaw” from the first album, and maybe “Moon Song” from the second. I was big into their sound at the time because disco was getting big and I didn’t care to shake my booty!

That tells my age doesn’t it? ???

But I like JM’s song alot!

You and me both. I HATED disco then, and am relieved enough now that it went away that i don’t automatically curl up in the fetal position if I hear it now - mostly because I almost never hear it. :)

The tunes I was thinking of (in the vibe sense) were Buckley’s Dream Brother, and FM’s Gold Dust Woman. Say what you will about Stevie Nicks’ lacy frills and goat throat, that’s one hell of an atmospheric tune. :)

I’m always a little leery about making comparisons to known stuff on the off chance that the person whose music is being discussed actually hates the comparison!

Gold Dust Woman is a very well put together song, Stevie can thank Lindsay for that!

I know comparing someones music to something else can tick people off. (By the way I just did that on your tune Relayer, sorry) But it’s kinda hard not to. Hope JM doesn’t get POed at us.

Even really crappy songs and perfomances can be compared to Yoko screaming, that should start some conversation!

YOKO IS AN ARTIST DAMMIT.

An artist of what exactly?

Oh I know, a break-up artist!

She broke up the Beatles, hehehehe

Well, I’ll take any comparison as long as it’s not “wow this sounds just like my Uncle Moe after he’s hit the bourbon - thanks for the childhood memories”.

I’m not too familiar with America, although I like Ventura Highway. I was growing up in California when it came out, and it made some sense (well, except for the lizards flying through the air).

I love older Fleetwood Mac… they put a song out in 1970 called “Dragonfly” - kind of an unknown single but definitely worth seeking out. And of course Peter Green is a god… there’s a great clip on Youtube of Peter Green and the original FM playing Rattlesnake Shake on Hugh Heffner’s Playboy After Dark. Given the lyrics there’s some irony there.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Well, I’ll take any comparison as long as it’s not “wow this sounds just like my Uncle Moe after he’s hit the bourbon - thanks for the childhood memories”.

:D