New CD recorded entirely with n-Track

Sound clips created with n-Track

My latest CD was recorded entirely on n-Track Studio.
Sound clips:
Watercourse Reflections
October Light
Snow Shadows Evening

Comments welcome.

Steve

Those’re cool, Steve. Very peaceful. What did you use for the strings in “Snow…” ?

Really nice work Steve - the staccato strings are very well done. The lushy strings on reflections are great too.

The guitar sounded like an old sweet Gretsch I used to play. Nice work.

Quote: (TomS @ Dec. 24 2007, 7:49 AM)

Those're cool, Steve. Very peaceful. What did you use for the strings in "Snow.." ?

Thanks for your comments. Peaceful -- yes, that's what I was going for.

The strings are Notion (www.notionmusic.com). I had to notate dynamics very specifically, because the release on the samples is often artificial sounding. If I really wanted to try to tweak the strings, I could make a wav file for each string section (violins, violas) and then try to tweak the reverb and compression with n-Track. But there were two limitations preventing that: my wimpy laptop, and time to tweak. So it is what it is. I was quite gratified to have the tools to write for strings and get an acceptable -- at least to me -- recording.

Steve
Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Dec. 24 2007, 9:45 AM)

Really nice work Steve - the staccato strings are very well done. The lushy strings on reflections are great too.

The guitar sounded like an old sweet Gretsch I used to play. Nice work.

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, the staccato strings in Notion are more realistic than the bowed strings. I got a kick out of doubling certain notes of the guitar voicings with pizzacato strings. There's also, on "Crystal Reflections," doubling of some of the guitar voicing notes on celeste, mixed way back, and on "Snow Shadows Evening," doubling of the guitar voicings on harp. I had great fun with that!

It's interesting that you say Gretsch. Over the years, several people have heard my guitar sound and thought Gretsch. But I've never had the good fortune to play a Gretsch that sounded good to me. I guess I just didn't run across the right ones.

Steve