New Feature Request

Editing-In-n-Track

Hi n-Trackers:
As most of you guys know I only use n-Track for any multi-track recording/mixing and Editing, with the setup I have here…

Today, I have this project that I’m editing snare, kick and bass tracks…

Now… at times it’s not what you play as much as it is what you don’t play, that suits the task of putting “Bed Tracks”, together…

Leaving “Spaces” in these tracks are sometimes important to how other tracks find their places, in the end product…

Sometimes… volume evolution works for doing this process… You just apply the "Nodes and bring down, to infinity the parts you don’t want to hear… Sometimes, I Hi-Lite the part and “Cut”/Remove the part from the track… Then… “Render” and “Re-name” the track… In fact, that process works the best for me at times…

Having said that, Then, I’d like to see a feature like that… but in the “Opposite Order”…

For example… Have the volume evolution start in the infinity and then “Hi-Lite” the part and “Return” the evolution to “Normal/Pre-Set Level”…

Has anyone considered doing this to a track… and… How would you approach this kind of track editing? ??? ?

Bill…

what you are asking for is an upside down version of fade in/out - fade in/out can be used anywhere in a track not just at the begining and ends - but that it is fraught with problems should be no big suprise -

insert wave file - view all song - click on draw vol icon - now highlight area in centre of track - click on fade in icon and see what happens - you will get a straight down edge a space of zero volume and a ramp back up to centre position -
if you play over this there is a very good chance that you will get a nasty click as the vol drops straight to zero -

have you got logarithmic curves on you evolutions ? there much better than the old linear ramps -

Dr J.

Hi Doc:
Thanks for your reply to this thread.

Later tonight I’ll post a screen capture of the snare tracks I’m working with… It’ll show a snare track and a clone of that track that I’ve removed snare hits by hi-lite’ing the hits and removing by CUTING/Removing the Hits that have been removed… The tracks are offset by some number of samples… Then the two tracks are rendered and brought into the timeline that I am using the snare tracks… on… Now and as a result of this edit, I have control over the snare’s mix for that Bed… When-and-after I get IT close I’ll render the two snare tracks or maybe just leave them in place and render the entire beds. We’ll see…

This again, is a prime example of why I’d like to be able to render Groups in the timeline as opposed to have to remove the tracks from the timeline to render and then re-import rendered tracks back to the working timeline.

Latency-and-sample/alignment issues crop up as you edit in another timeline to re-import tracks back to the original working timeline. Especially if you use plugs to condition tracks outside the prime timeline(s)… I’ve requested the rendering of Groups-and-sub-Groups in the rendering screen(s) sense v3.3 build 1516… It sure would be nice to have that feature, as well…

Bill…

Hi Guys:
I’m back to this thread again… I have posted the drum track timeline and edited track that I’m working on…

As you can see I’m using v4.2.1 build 2099 to do the editing… with… I feel comfortable working with that build so I just open and import the tracks I need to complete and line-up the edit and “Save-As” the track/file back to the working folder of the project…

I’ll show you a capture of the rendered track on the working timeline in the next photo. I’m still working on the “Feel” of the track so it’s still a work-in-progress…

The snare tracks are on Group SIX of the Group Mixer… I can grab the individual levels from the strip to the left of the timeline… The project’s timeline is in v5.0.6 build 2246…

There are 13 stereo tracks to this project, on the timeline… The CPU useage runs in the order of 59 -62% on the average… There is three instances of Anweda lite verb and three-or-four plugs in the Master Strip… This is on the P-111 intel Editing DAW…

I’d still like to be able to render Group SIX or any other Group for that matter without touching anything else on the timeline and render screen…

Bill…

first - the anwer to your orginal idea is to use EDIT/silence selection/put volume to zero -

in all the time i have had N i have never used groups (or aux channels) - i have fould that the more time you spend on trying to get drums to sound right the worse they sound, so 9/10 i decide on the sound of (a sample) kit i like and leave it at that - the only thing i do (it works for me) is to clone the drum track and then use a ‘gate’ on the clone to bring out a certain drum) -

when rendering if there is a track i dont want in the mix i just mute it - and as you group faders have mute on them, you should be able to mute the groups you do not want ? -

it is an unfortunate thing that out there, the proletariat dont actually care a ####, if it sounds like a drum then it is a drum - remember way back when we bought 45s where the drums where recorded with one (or rarely) two mics - it sounded OK then -

i believe that the simpler the instrument the less you do to it - and that for drums to fully fit within a mix they should be ADDED LAST -

the vast majority of songs are either written using a piano or a guitar as the main instrument, then the song is flushed out to contain other instruments, the last thing that is done is to involve the drummer -

if you work in the way a songwriter does then it becomes a wothless task spending zillions of hours (and XILLIONS OF DOLLARS on plugins) on what is a background instrument -

Dr J

EDIT - Bill you say that you are using “three instances of Anweda lite verb” - when adding reverb to a drum kit there should only be one instance of it and it shiould effect the whole kit - when recording a single drum or a whole kit in a situation where reverb is generated by the recording situation then there is only one reverb generated, not three, when adding reverb, all drums should carry the same reverb then they will sound as a coherant kit, a single reverb should be added to globally encompass the kit and it should be added as the last effect in whatever chain of efects you have - otherwise you end up with a mess of inconsistant echo’s generated by the reverb and the reverb tails acting as a comb filter and blanking each other out, and/or one or more reverbs adding to the other reverb(s) which form a new and louder reverb that you had not antisipated -

Hi Doc:
I have no verbs on any of the drum tracks… or any of the groups that the tubs are controlled, by… That doesn’t mean to say there wouldn’t be any verbs on the tub’s group… At the present time, the verbs are on the vocals, Backing/Fill, and Overdubs, and Master strips. That’s at this point-in-time in the Mix-in-Progress… As the mix comes together, eventually, there will be a series of rendered tracks that will represent all the tracks that the timeline contains. There wouldn’t be any individual tracks in the timeline… Only a series of groups… with maybe just Vocals and Band tracks… to mix to a Two Track… That’s what I’m aiming, for…

I’m still looking for a Vocal Harmony Track and maybe a Chorus Track… And an Electric Guitar Fill Track and Backing Track… to complete the tracks on the timeline. Eventually, I’ll get them… In the meantime I’m playing with the snare and bass tracks. If it gets to a point that the snare and bass tracks don’t contribute to the Beds in any positive way, the Plugs can be pulled from the effort and the original snare and bass tracks can be re-entered on the timeline…

Bill…

Without reading this thread comphrensively, there’s a Reaper thread in the audiominds forum that might be of interest to you Bill. Have a look at what it can do with drum hits… When you can isolate hits this easily…

reaper bits - straight to the relevant post

Willy.

Hi Willy:
Thanks for your reply, on this topic…

I’ll be looking at this link to see how it might help me in this edit… We’ll see… ???

If the drummer really knew what I’m working on, he’d come over here… “Big Time”… and screw up my hardware… or promise me he’ll never come back… or something like that… Ya don’t do this to Drummer’s Tracks… I think you’re supposed to call him and see if he’ll come back in and do the track again…

In fact, as you can see… I’m taking his “Hits” and doing them with Drumagog… This is the first project sense the introduction of that utility…

Bill…