New Laptop

Afternoon all!

I’m currently in the process of changing jobs which means…I’ll be returning the company laptop (which currently has n-track running very nicely and quitely in an obscure directory) !

So, if you had a max of £1,000 to spend on a new computer and its primary use would be running n-track - any idea what would be the ideal set-up ie sound cards etc etc.

I guess everyone has their favourites, but I’m just trying to figure out where the £’s should be best spent, and as it’ll be a while before I buy another computer, I might as well try and get it right(ish)!

Any suggestions, most welcome. thanks.

R

As you say, everyone will have their favourites, their tales of woe and their success stories. You can learn from those.

The good news is that unless you are doing really major recording, most entry level PCs nowadays should be capable of doing a reasonable job of 4 inputs, 20-30 tracks and a bunch of vsts.

And £1000 ain’t no entry level budget so you should get yourself a nice little rig!

Good luck.

Mark

Oh, and for our US friends, according to XE currency convertor, £1000 is $1800.11 US

First decision will be to decide between a laptop and a desktop. I have found that few laptops have line in plugs, which would require you to get a USB soundcard. Of course with $US1800, you should have no problem securing both.

If you don’t need portability, the desktops offer more power for the money, faster, bigger hard drives.

I’m running a P4 Gateway widescreen laptop with a Motu828mkII and a 80Gb Glyph firewire drive.
Ran me oh, $2300US. Well worth it.

Zero problems…

Thanks chaps, much appreciated

(and I was going to put a $ equivalent in for our US friends, but hey, with the £ so strong, by the end of the week that £1,000 will probably buy me IBM Inc.) :D