New member with a couple of questions

recording just one track and distortion

Hello all,

I have had N-Track since version 3.3 but I must admit I have not used it except for a little mixing here and there. I recently became intrigued but the new N-Track 5 and decided to upgrade and give her a whirl. I must admit I am really enjoying this software. I am sure I will enjoy it even more once I get past the learning curve. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with and I am sure they are setting issues.

1. When I select the record option for the track my options are stereo, and right and left, no mono option so whenever I record a track it records a blank one along with it that I have to go back and delete. No big deal but a bit of a pain. I am using the alesis io2 usb interface.

2. When adding effects I will occassional get distortion until I restart the program then all is fine. Does this sound like a buffering issue? I didn’t want to start messing with it til I checked in here.

I have been using Cubase LE for the last year and I am really excited about working in the new N environment. Thanks in advance for helping with my stupid questions. I am sure these are just a taste of many more to come.

:D

2. When adding effects I will occassional get distortion until I restart the program then all is fine. Does this sound like a buffering issue? I didn’t want to start messing with it til I checked in here.

Hi ole6string:
I don’t think anyone is quite sure how to reply to your post…

I’d have to say that distortion on tracks may not be a buffering issue, though… That sounds more like a level issue… Maybe, reply… If the repro meters arn’t clipping it’s possible the recording level was high… But then you say a restart will fix everything… Strange… to-say-the-least…

Bill…

Hi woxnerw,

Thanks for taking time to reply. Maybe I can be more clear, hopefully. Say for example I record a a vocal track, all levels are great no clipping whatsoever, everything is fine, if I add a reverb to that track and that track only, as soon as I add the effect I get a fuzzy kind of distortion in the play back.

This happens no matter what the effect is and I am using. I am adding it to just the track not the aux channel. If I save the file and restart the program everything plays back great with the effect in place. Thats what leads me to believe it is some sort of buffer problem.

Wierd huh???

When you bring up the recording meters, there will be a little red dot in the middle that you can left click on. Then just do what it says to avoid the extra blank track.

Which plug ins cause the distortion?

Thanks Tom… that worked perfectly.

After messing with all the plug ins it seems I can only occassional reproduce the distortion and always with different plug-ins. I have discovered that when the distortion occurs if I click on the hammer to launch the settings dialog box and then just close with no changes the distortion stops. Go figure! Its way easier than restarting the program though.

I really appreciate all the help. You guys are life savers.

Thanks again,
Rod

Hi Again Rod:
I’d be surprised if the distortion was “Buffering” related… it still sounds like a level/clipping issue… How you add the plug to the track is important… You want the plug… in this instance reverb, to be added to the track but the verb should be 100% “WET”… with no “DRY” added to the track… If you add the verb to the track with any “Dry” then you’ll hear a change in level along with the Verb…

That’s what I think is happening to your track… Without hearing a clip of the track you are doing…

As a matter of interest… What reverb plug are you using? and How are you adding the verb to your track? What process are you adding the plug, to your track?

But… it’s intermittent? That’s what gets me…??

Bill…

Hey Ole6 - I bought and used an Alesis IO26 (briefly, then returned it due to frequent crashing of my PC) and noticed some similar issues with the distortion like you mention. Distortion appears out of no where and then you mess around with (fill in the blank) and it goes away. I didn’t keep the interface long enough to get a handle on the issue but suspect it’s either 1) Alesis’s drivers or 2) the way Alesis’s drivers interact with Ntrack (if all worked OK in Cubase).

If I remember right it seemed like there was one sweet sample rate (48k?) where the issue went away. Maybe that will give you some things to look into. You have the most recent driver from Alesis?

(HotDogWater @ Jun. 07 2007,07:56)
Hey Ole6 - I bought and used an Alesis IO26 (briefly, then returned it due to frequent crashing of my PC) and noticed some similar issues with the distortion like you mention. Distortion appears out of no where and then you mess around with (fill in the blank) and it goes away. I didn't keep the interface long enough to get a handle on the issue but suspect it's either 1) Alesis's drivers or 2) the way Alesis's drivers interact with Ntrack (if all worked OK in Cubase).

If I remember right it seemed like there was one sweet sample rate (48k?) where the issue went away. Maybe that will give you some things to look into. You have the most recent driver from Alesis?

I did some messing with switching between the Alesis driver and the wdm usb driver and for whatever reason the later seems to work better at times. Go figure!

I have the newest alesis driver as it appears they only have 1 on their website. If I can figure out how to set up a aux channel to add say reverb to all the tracks that would probably help as well. As of yet I have not been able to figure that out. I guess that would be a subject for a new topic.

I like to use the glaceverb but it seems to go screwy at times even with N-effects.

Well, in v 5 you can go to add channel>add new aux channel, and then below the other channel strips you’ll see tiny little send faders.

Glaceverb - don’t really like it - go get SIR - a free impulse reverb - and then some impulses at noisevault.com

SIR:

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/

(soon…SIR2!) :)

Noisevault free impulses (and some you can buy too):

http://noisevault.com/nv/

Hi TomS:
When is this SIR2 expected? Something new … I’ve not been around noisevault for a while …
Or the SIR Page…

Bill…

(TomS @ Jun. 07 2007,18:25)
Well, in v 5 you can go to add channel>add new aux channel, and then below the other channel strips you'll see tiny little send faders.

Glaceverb - don't really like it - go get SIR - a free impulse reverb - and then some impulses at noisevault.com...

SIR:

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/

(soon..SIR2!) :)

Noisevault free impulses (and some you can buy too):

http://noisevault.com/nv/

Thanks for the great links I can't wait to try them out.

So far I have added the aux channel, added the effect to the aux channel, turned them up on the little levels on each track channel but no effected signal. I am sure I am doing something stupid as usual just haven't figured it out yet.

Thanks again,
Rod

It reads as though you are leaving out the ‘raise aux 1 return volume slider (the one next to the master section of the mixer)’ step. I hope that’s what it is, because that is an easy fix!

Good luck!
Tony

(wynot @ Jun. 08 2007,07:00)
It reads as though you are leaving out the 'raise aux 1 return volume slider (the one next to the master section of the mixer)' step. I hope that's what it is, because that is an easy fix!

Good luck!
Tony

That was exactly what it was. Thanks so much. I knew it was something stupid. Whoo hooo. I am very excited.

Thanks to all you guys help I think I have all my initial bugs worked out and questions answered. I have a feeling there will be many more as I work through some projects. :D

Thanks again. You guys are the best and I am really having alot of fun with N-Track.

Rod

I tell you, it was good starting out with the program when it was much simpler. :)

Does Version 5 automatically insert reverb when you start a new aux channel like version 4 does? Not in the window for an effect but in the e-q window? This messes me up, i know the reverb is in the default mode, but if you forget to remove it, it seems to eat more resourses than if you only have the effect you put in the aux. Just an observation. Yeah I know, JAFO.

Yaz ???

(woxnerw @ Jun. 07 2007,18:52)
Hi TomS:
When is this SIR2 expected? Something new .. I've not been around noisevault for a while ..
Or the SIR Page..

Bill..

"Second Quarter 2007" - so I'd say, soon... :)

Hi YazMiester, TomS, and Guys:
Having the preference options of configuring mixer strips with repetitive plugins is a nice feature if you do the same mixing setup for all mixing-to-two-track operations…

But, the first thing all n-Track users should do when setting up their unconfigured n-Track is to remove all the “Bell-and-Whistles” and strip n-track to just the Basics so as to just allow minimal resources to be used by their DAWs…

To start off… That would make perfect sense, to me… Then add “Bells-and-Whistles” to taste…

Doing that would prohibit resource hungry features from being automatically running… all the time…

I’ll be looking forward to working with SIR II with the IR Samples I use here…

Bill…