New microphone

GAS relief…

Yesterday, I went and burnt off some cash on a new microphone - an MXL V67G large-diaphragm condenser, primarily intended for vocal use.

This is it.

My first impressions are overwhelmingly positive. It definitely is a step (giant leap?!) up from my Røde NT1-A, which has done its duty for a couple of years. I’ll let you know how it turns out in everyday use.

Any comments on this, friends?

regards, Nils

Hi Nils K:
I’m really glad you’re getting some relief from your GAS…

This is the time of the year that I seem to get IT… However, Tax remittance time is just around the corner… That always catches up with me…

Bill…

You really like it better than the Rode? That’s saying something. Wouldn’t mind hearing an A/B.

Hi Again:
My material Want… seems to be pointing toward a “Stand Alone” CD/DVD Studio grade Recorder… Something that I may be able to use for “Out-of-the-Box” mixes and to create Red Book Format grade and to transport tracks and groups and projects from A-to-B to other studios and all…

I hope this doesn’t change to topic…

But what’s out there in a piece of hardware that can do this kind of work?

Bill…

Quote (TomS @ Feb. 01 2007,14:52)
You really like it better than the Rode? That's saying something. Wouldn't mind hearing an A/B.

Yes, me too.

I had a cheap MXL condensor and it was OK but I think my Rode was better by far. The mic that Nils has is cheaper here than the Rode and it it's good I might well pick one up.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Wouldn’t mind hearing an A/B.

I’ll post an A/B test when I get a shockmount for the MXL - for now, I use the one that comes with the NT1-A. It fits like a second glove - perhaps a midget’s… :D

Anyway, I tracked some with it tonight, and it is a breeze to use, like, whatever you put into it, you get out. Add a de-esser and a dash of reverb and you have a production.

till then -

regards, Nils
Quote (Nils K @ Feb. 01 2007,22:30)
Wouldn't mind hearing an A/B.

I'll post an A/B test when I get a shockmount for the MXL - for now, I use the one that comes with the NT1-A. It fits like a second glove - perhaps a midget's... :D

Anyway, I tracked some with it tonight, and it is a breeze to use, like, whatever you put into it, you get out. Add a de-esser and a dash of reverb and you have a production.

till then -

regards, Nils
Excellent, thanks

I happen to think the NT-1A is the bomb for a >200 buck LDC. If this thing sounds better than that… well, I want to hear it too! :)

D