New Microphone

Wife made me do it!

She says she likes to see me happy. Ain’t that grand?

Got a Rode NTK slightly used from our local guitar satan for 370 US dollars.

It is a glorious mic. I told her we needed it to record her harp properly. :D

Execellent score Tom! Man I love dem Rodes Mics… we have a pair of NT1’s at church that I have borrowed on occasion. Super sounding mic for a lousy $200. I hear nothing but praise for almost all of Rodes mics.

Can I borrow your wife? Oh, AND your wallet? :D :D

TG

<!–QuoteBegin>

Got a Rode NTK slightly used from our local guitar satan for 370 US dollars

Women seem to like the shape of the Rode LD condensors too for some reason. The NTK gets a better reaction than the NT1, in my experience… ???

sweet! … i wish i had a wife

Make sure the studio is sound proof, the Rodes will pick up the neighbors talking even with all the windows closed. LOL
Great mics!

At this point I have managed to get an NT3, an NT5 pair, and the NTK. I cannot believe how good these sound for the cost. I mean, I am happy with how the 70 dollar MXL LD mic sounds, but it sounds like plastic compared to this. :)

NO, TG, you may not. I love one of them very much, and I need the other. :)

Quote (TomS @ July 29 2005,09:01)
NO, TG, you may not. I love one of them very much, and I need the other. :)

Well, I'll assume you NEED the wallet and LOVE the wife. She sounds like a keeper.

It's OK, my wife would be pissed if I "borrowed" yours! :D Even just for mic shopping...

TG -- wife sez "You have too many "toys" already!" :(

Nice - I have an NT1000 & I’d like to upgrade someday.

Life is too short to spend messing around with sub par microphones and crappy instruments, like, say, Les Pauls…

See, TG, I married a musician, so as long as I feed her habit and keep the bills paid, she feeds mine. :D

Oh, I just spent a heavenly couple of hours with the mic, wrote and recorded a whole song using just it for drums (well, there was a kick mic too) elec guitars, acoustic and vox, dumb song, 10 minute mix, but oooooh does it sound good. :)

My NTK, like the NT-5, doesn’t do close-mic’ed distorted Marshall too well, but vocals come through nice & creamy. It more or less mixes itself when we use it on my voice in thick rock mixes :)

Fabulous on my voice (not that my voice is fabulous, it’s really a tedious vocie, but the sound is fabulous), really nice on acoustic, great as a mono drum OH, quite nice on my 100 dollar 15 watt solid state “mini jimi” marshall practice amp (really, it sounds really cool for recording!) but sounded not so good on electric bass amp. Anyway, it’s a “whole 'nother level” for me. Unbelievable.

Like you said, on voice it just mixed itself. mmm…mmmm…creamy.

Man I love shit like this. :D

Yeah ! My standard procedure (meaning: what I usually try first) is NTK on voice and NT-5 on clean(ish) guitars. My Røde condensers will do distorted guitars too but I need to pull them further away from the amp. In my small untreated room this is not always a good thing…

Hey - watch those comments on LPs :laugh:

I was looking at an NT2000. Alittle pricey but it looked nice. I was also wondering about the Neuman stage mic - KSM105 (or something like that). Is it good enough for studio use, as well as stage?

Envy, envy, envy. (You’ve probably seen that bit in the Armenian Church’s version of of the ten commandments Tom, “Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s ass nor his sound equipment.” :D

But, just an idle thought… ???

What happens to the music after it passes through the diaphragm?

It’s done its bit, generated the electrical signal, so where does it go then?

Does it collect in the bottom of the mic? Or does it pass through, and lie unregarded in the corner of the studio? (probably all the fluff that gathers there).

It’s a worry. :(

Why am I asking this? Why am I still awake at 4 AM? What’s this lump on my knee?

Sigh.

Flavio doesn’t warn you about these things when you install n-track. :(

Ali

No, here we say “your neighbor’s wife’s ass and donkey.”

The way I understand it, if it passes through the diaphram there’s likely to be a “shotgun wedding.” :)

<!–QuoteBegin>

The way I understand it, if it passes through the diaphram there’s likely to be a “shotgun wedding.”

ROFL Tom. :D

Anyway, that’s why it is so important to pay attention to correct spelling! :p :D

Actually, for years I practised the Catholic Church approved “Rhythm Method”.

But I could never handle the transition from 4/4 swing to 7/4 samba. :(

Ali

I suppose polygamists need to use “polyrhythms?” ???

Friend o’ mine here at work has FIVE kids. He must be “rythymically challenged” I suppose… or just plain crazy?

TG

We have three (what’s that in hexadecimal?) and I find it challenging… :)