New n-Track album + blog

Hey everybody.

I’ve been working on this album for longer than I care to admit (at least since n-Track first came out for the PDP-11 back in the early '70s, I think). It’s finally at the point where I need to kick it out of the nest. So I’m posting the songs online and describing the arrangements and recording on a blog. Over the next several weeks I’ll cover all eleven tracks. The first two tracks are already up. The story starts here:

Twice the Usual

Or if you just want to jump to the first song you can go directly here:

1. Even After All This Time

Feel free to comment here or at the blog. (If you comment at the blog, try to keep it clean… my mom is reading it too :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Ken

Interesting concept, KBub. The “blue” note on the bass…as you say, how could anyone not like it? :)

I’ll have to dust off the old PDP-11 and
see if I have a spare 10Meg platter to
throw on.
:D

Good God, you guys are serious, and not just makiing thngs up!

I give you…the PDP-11/40 with TU56 dual DECtape drive!

Hi Gents:

TomS… Where do you put the quarters ????

That machine looks like a JukeBox with a beer Machine attached to it…

This is where I’d like to have some Hi-Speed connection so I could hear what the tracks sound like…

Bill…

Quote: (TomS @ Oct. 13 2007, 11:40 AM)

Good God, you guys are serious, and not just makiing thngs up!

I give you...the PDP-11/40 with TU56 dual DECtape drive!

Ya. If you thought editing MIDI in n-Track's piano roll was tough, try paper tape!

Haha. Anyway... I just noticed that the link at the end of the first track said "coming soon", but the second track is there too. Here's the direct link in case anybody missed it:

2. We Cherish Our Scars

KB

Not to hijack the thread, but I learned BASIC on machines that used yellow punch tape; when I got to college I felt I’d hit the big time: punch cards and PASCAL. And LISP.
???

This is really good stuff, Kbub. I like the second one better than the first, FWIW. Stick a mandolin on it and it’d be a folk song. It’s cool you get to do stuff with your brother.

Quote: (TomS @ Oct. 13 2007, 4:13 PM)

Not to hijack the thread, but I learned BASIC on machines that used yellow punch tape; when I got to college I felt I'd hit the big time: punch cards and PASCAL. And LISP.
???

This is really good stuff, Kbub. I like the second one better than the first, FWIW. Stick a mandolin on it and it'd be a folk song. It's cool you get to do stuff with your brother.

Thanks, Tom.

Ya, it's been great playing with my brother. We've been playing together for probably twenty years. We don't get to play in realtime much anymore, though, since I'm currently down around 30
ºLAT and he's up around 55
º.

And we used to play with mando all the time... very folky.

KB

P.S. Maintaining the threadjack: COBOL on an IBM S/370. :-b

Very nice.
I like the dry sounding vocals, it shows confidence.
All in all it sounds very clean to my untutored ears with everything separate. I’m still trying to do that!

Quote:

TU56 dual DECtape drive!

May have been first drives to integrate
pricey Hoover vacuum cleaner.

I think I've just experienced PDP envy.
Thanks for flashback.
Quote: (barryMK @ Oct. 14 2007, 10:59 AM)

Very nice. I like the dry sounding vocals, it shows confidence. All in all it sounds very clean to my untutored ears with everything separate. I'm still trying to do that!

Thanks, barryMK. I find trying to get cleanliness and separation to be one of the biggest struggles.

KB