New owner of a Hammond F-100

If I can make room for it

I know little or nothing about organs, but a little research showed this is definitely not one of their more beloved ones. I have all the paper work that originally came with it back in 1961. (First owner was a funeral home.) A friend, not an organ man either, has orders from his wife to get rid of it. Everything seems in good working order, so maybe I’ll find a use for it.

SWEET!

Remember the first rule of organ care: Keep the chiggers OFF of it!! :laugh:

D

My Uncle and Aunt had an F-100 with the Rotating Speaker Cabinet…
They lived in North Oxford MA…
I remember her playing it once when I was there
One Time…
If I remember… it had the Bass Pedal Bar…
and a Bench…
as well…
I’d like to know where it is…
today…

Bill…

Quote:

Remember the first rule of organ care: Keep the chiggers OFF of it!! :laugh:

Drat! Guess I can't keep it out behind the storage shed.

i got chiggers once-never heard of 'em before i got 'em-but all hammonds and other instruments went unscathed. :agree:

Is that one of the all electronic ones? That is, not the tonewheels?

Quote: (john doe's evil twin @ Jan. 10 2009, 3:45 PM)

i got chiggers once-never heard of 'em before i got 'em-but all hammonds and other instruments went unscathed. :agree:

You haven't lived (while wishing you'd die...) until you've played out in the yard in a pair of short britches and had a colony of chiggers move into your nether regions.

D

i was in the service, we were out of cots so i slept on the ground. what’s the big deal, i did that camping back home in oregon all the time. i found out what they were. nasty. but then i painted over the burrows with clear nail polish and they finally died. eventually.

Quote:

Is that one of the all electronic ones?
That is, not the tonewheels?

Most knowledgeable person I found on a web search earlier today left the post below on a forum somewhere. Don't know if that answers any questions or not. I do know the thing has quite a few vacuum tubes in the back of it.

Quote:

Hi,

I started servicing Hammonds in about 1963, and I've only ever seen one F-100.

It was an early attempt to make a cheaper instrument and it failed miserably because they just wouldn't stay in tune.

It has none of the 'classic' Hammond sounds, and the Lowrey and Wurlitzer valve ( tube ) models sounded so much better ( and had two keyboards ). Everyone changed over to semiconductors in about 1965, which brought the prices down by about 30%, so the F-100 and similar stuff like the Solovox was dead in the water.

So many manufacturers ( Conn, Gulbransen, Baldwin, Thomas, etc ) climbed onto the bandwagon with the new technology, that by 1970 all Hammond's new models used transistors in place of the tubes in an attempt to stay competitive. I have to say that used properly, they didn't sound any worse for the change, especially through a Leslie, and they were a lot more reliable than the larger more expensive stuff.

For the record, I was warned about chiggers when I first moved to Tennessee over 40 years ago, and so far I’ve avoided the pleasure of their company.

Chiggers are anoying true. But stand talking to someone while unknowingly standing on a fire aint hill and you’ll soon see a grown man do the gig and drop his drawrs right there on main street! I’ve been there!
:laugh: But it’s way funnier when it happens to someone else!

Kevi, just maybe all the funerals your keys have played for where for very cool people.

Quote:

but then i painted over the burrows with clear nail polish

There you go Kev - paint your organ with clear nail polish :laugh:

Look at the size of that transformer! How much power that thing got?

Quote: (kevinmyers @ Jan. 10 2009, 7:09 PM)

For the record, I was warned about chiggers when I first moved to Tennessee over 40 years ago, and so far I've avoided the pleasure of their company.

Hey kevin

I just noticed your sig as an order of hash browns from the waffle house.

I know this because I was a cook at many of them in Nashville for two years in the early 90's.

They finally got one or two of them last year up here in my town.

I hope to hear the organ in all it's glory one day here.

keep shinin'

jerm :cool:
Quote:

I just noticed your sig as an order of hash browns from the waffle house.

My daughter works at the Waffle House here, so I go in there on a somewhat regular basis.

Quote:

Kevi, just maybe all the funerals your keys have played for where for very cool people.

Hmmmmmmm... haven't really thought much about that.

Quote:

Look at the size of that transformer! How much power that thing got?

The service manual says "155 to 160 watts".

Quote:

There you go Kev - paint your organ with clear nail polish
:laugh:

Hmmmmmm... OH! You're talking about the Hammond.
:laugh:

I’ve seen an F-100 many many times - oddly enough in a local historical museum. Always wondered about them. Looks like the Hammond tone wheels - if so, I cannot believe that any transistor version sounds better…

My M3 is not quite a 1/4 step flat, BTW, and one of the tone wheels is kaput, so it hardly ever gets used. I’ve been promising to pull the amp out and ditch the rest, but I’ve never had the time or heart to do it. After all, it’s the same organ that Booker T played on all those Stax recordings.

Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 11 2009, 6:35 PM)

After all, it's the same organ that Booker T played on all those Stax recordings.

Not his personal keyboard?

the picture of the back of that thing looks ALOT like the back of my old Hammond S-1 chord organ.

Yes, they are a pain to keep in tune. No, they don’t have tone wheels, at least if it is similar to the S-1. It’s a tube and coil based oscillator design. The mention of Lowery organs in the earlier post tells me the same thing. Them old Lowery’s were also tube/coil based oscillator designs (I have a Lowery too).

If it’s free, it could be fun to play with. I wouldn’t give any mother’s son money for one…

Quote: (Levi @ Jan. 11 2009, 7:48 PM)

Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 11 2009, 6:35 PM)

After all, it's the same organ that Booker T played on all those Stax recordings.

Not his personal keyboard?

no - but very close in serial number.

****"Clava knows all"****

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: