New Song

Drac

Well, I got an oddball one here if anyone wants to take a gander. Drac is the latest kuiper belt song I’ve done…

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=804923

Pretty cool! Stay unique! Reminds me a little of TomS when he was in his prime. :agree:

Interesting!

you mean toms isn’t in his prime? he might have some words about that. however, this 50 in 90 thing, i dunno…

:laugh:

Different and pretty good too! Like the seperation on the guitars. Gonna listen to some more tracks.

:agree:

Thanks for your positive thoughts guys. I live in a musical bubble so nice to get feedback on the forum here.

Yeah, Bruffie, lately been using -60/+60 panning most of the time I’ve got two guitars. Not sure it’s the best way always- just force of habit these days. Still a noobie at recording stuff, seems like there’s no substitute for just spending time and lots of trial and error with N-track.

This is pretty cool! I too like the imaging and movement. I could never come up with anything like this and sound authentic. This sounds like it was supposed to be just the way it is. That’s the only way I can explain it. Thanks for posting this GeoffO! :agree:

Quote: (Levi @ Jul. 14 2009, 2:02 AM)

Pretty cool!
Stay unique!
Reminds me a little of TomS when he was in his prime.
:agree:

Don't insult him like that, Levi. :)

This is cool, Geoff. Cool wah wah. Great theme.

The weird thing about writing this song for me was that I wrote it backwards from my normal approach (I know there’s a retrograde motion joke in there somewhere).

I programmed Ntrack drum parts -usually an afterthought for me which I struggle with- before I’d written the melodies. Thought I’d get the “achilles heal” part done and over with and see what happened.

Poppa, I think this did end up sounding more how I intended it to sound than prior songs. For one thing, held back on the reverb which I may have overused before.

As far as the TomS comparison- high praise indeed!!!

Weird and wonderful! You shouldn’t say oddball, it’s psy :agree: chodelic!

Quote: (GeoffO @ Jul. 15 2009, 9:41 AM)

The weird thing about writing this song for me was that I wrote it backwards from my normal approach (I know there's a retrograde motion joke in there somewhere).

I programmed Ntrack drum parts -usually an afterthought for me which I struggle with- before I'd written the melodies. Thought I'd get the "achilles heal" part done and over with and see what happened.

Poppa, I think this did end up sounding more how I intended it to sound than prior songs. For one thing, held back on the reverb which I may have overused before.

As far as the TomS comparison- high praise indeed!!!

You mean Levi was high?

:whistle:

Lately I've been writing everything "backward" - doing backing tracks without any idea for a melody.
Seems like it works about as well as the other way. Your stuff here is evidence of the rule that there are no rules, eh?

Darn I gave up getting high decades ago. :heart-break: But there was a little tease makin it’s way to the serface.
Regardless, Miles Davis would love this effort!

Just for the thought of maybe incorperating another player some time. On the next one when you have your main rythm riff or pregression worked out. Make a 10 min click track or what ever that works with it. (could be the basic beat) After you add that to ntrack jam to your hearts content. You could always build drums to it later or get someone to sit in and record some for you. Making click tracks, it’s a good habbit. If that’s not your thing, that’s cool too. Just a thought :)

You’re on to something when you say that rules in music are meant to be broken, Tom… Tried and true methods are good too, don’t get me wrong, but when Capt’n Jack Sparrow said “they’re really more like guidelines”, I think he could just as well have been talking about music.

Levi, always open to suggestions… I played a couple guitar parts over the metronome in this tune, and some over the N-track drum parts. I can’t even remember now which I did for what or why- Probably used the metronome for the wah bits. But you’re right, click tracks got to be a good idea. In a new build sometime, would make life a little bit easier if you could just open up a clicktrack instead of having to record one- or save a bunch of them every time- not to open up a familiar refrain and a can of worms.

Man, have to say I love your outsourcing the drums idea! -it sounds almost too good to be true- except for the fact some of you have done this before. (Can I outsource my vocals too?!)

I’ve done a little bit of recording a track in N directly from my cheesey sounding digitech preamp’s drum settings, and then jamming. You’re right though, could try this with a metronome- not sure I’d be “feeling it” is the only thing. This past winter I spent time practicing the old 12 bar blues to you tube drum track videos- that was helpful and fun. From what I’ve heard of your stuff, I think you’re much more skilled at pure improv jamming than I. I’ll keep at it…

our theory/composition prof in college went weeks delving into and drilling the ‘rules of composition,’ fux’s counterpoint theory, all that, then said, “if everyone followed the rules, everything would sound exactly the same.” then we had at it.

i really like the wah guitar bit :)

wow! it was so full of twists and turns…Inventive! I like the fat bass and the way the whole thing layers up. That little heart beat at the end is very fitting, sums it up very well!

I like it :;):

Ange x

Thanks Ange! Glad to see it may have wider appeal than I thought. And thanks for saying heart beat rather than kickdrum -wasn’t sure that would get conveyed.
Appreciate yours and the others’ input…very kind…